WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: How do I preserve my glove longer?
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:16 pm 

I have a very nice tan leather Rawlings 13'' first base mitt. I've had it since freshman year, and I'm in my junior summer now and I don't want to have to buy a new glove. It's started to feel too flimsy where the ball could fall out kind of easily. I broke the glove in myself with out using oil or putting it in the oven.

What should I do? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: How do I preserve my glove longer?
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:52 am 

any help?

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:34 am 

Hey Kevin - there are several things you can do.

I have put together a website mostly for informative purposes. All the information I have compiled is based on what I have learned myself over the years, and what I have been taught by some very knowledgable people in the field of baseball gloves/mitts and leather care. I'm not trying to drum up business, because I work on gloves mostly for hobby.

You have come to the right place, though - there are several people here, including Wake (the administrator), Bob Clevenhagen (Glovemaster at Rawlings), as well as other representatives from various glove manufacturers.

Check out my website - www.glovedoctor.net and I'm sure some of these guys may add their thoughts.

Off the top of my head, if the mitt is older - maybe a fresh set of laces could tighten your mitt up.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:01 pm 

Thanks Gabby. Do you have a relacing guide on there? Not sure if I found it yet. My coach is relacing my first base mitt, but I have a ton of gloves that have ripped lacings, and such so I need to find out how to do it the right way.

And also, I'm not sure if I found anything else on there for preserving it. If theres anything else I can do, can you just tell me where on there it is? But if not, what else should I do? because I feel that the leather is becoming more and more flimsy and somewhat dry aswell.

Thanks!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:10 pm 

If you have not been in the habit of conditioning the leather once per season, I'd suggest getting some Lexol leather conditioner (brown bottle) or Glove Stuff from Sandalady (http://www.sandalady.com/). I am not sure how much conditioning the leather will solve your problem, but it might b worth a try. Is your glove a HOH or Pro Preferred?

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:57 pm 

Periodic cleaning and conditioning are good for preserving the leather, but won't do anything regarding the glove getting soft and floppy.
I'd start with a relace.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:27 am 

In most all but the most extreme cases, replacing the laces in a glove will get it back to the shape and form of almost like brand new. It might even need a little break-in work to get the new laces seated and flexing a bit. That should take care of any "floppiness".

I think that keeping the laces properly tensioned , besides keeping the glove firm, can help prevent rips or tears in the leather. As laces stretch (which is normal with use) the holes they go through also stretch out. It also lets sections of the shell stretch further than intended and that all puts extra stress on the stretched out sections. This can lead to rips in the leather forming.

Besides that, keep your glove clean and dry between games. If it gets wet, let it air dry before using it again. Damp leather is going to deform or tear more easily than dry leather. Oil and water don't mix and mositure will tend to displace oils in the leather, driving them to the surface where they will be evaporated.

Wipe off any dust or dirt. Dust and dirt are abrasive and that can lead to extra wear. Dust can even act to absorb natural oils from the leather, leaving the leather even drier. For dried mud or heavy dirt, a slightly damp sponge should take care of that (just damp enough to loosen the dirt, not saturate the leather).

Store your glove in moderate temperatures and humidity levels, as heat cold, high or low humidity can all deteriorate leather.

Store your glove with something in the pocket- a ball, a rolled up towel- to keep it from getting smashed flat and to retain the pocket and form.

Finally, if the leather is starting to seem dried out, a good quality leather conditioner can add essential oils back to the leather, keeping it supple and less likely to crack, rip or tear. I recommend light coats- start out using just enough conditioner to barely coat the glove so it doesn't get oversaturated. You can always do another light coat if you think it needs it, but if you over-soak it's a lot harder to get the excess oil out. Put a small amount of the conditioner on a clean rag or sponge to apply it, rather than dumping it straight on the glove, and rub it into as large a section as you you can at a time, sort of the same approach as if you were waxing a car.

Do all that and your glove is likely to outlast your playing career!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:28 am 

Good info hear.

I do think the main thing is wipe the sweat out of the glove (or wear a batting glove).
I have my High school 1B mitt still, no cracking in the palm at all.

F

LEFT HAND THROW: 12.75"
For Sale — 2004 NWTs Mizuno GZP51c — $250 obo DELIVERED
For Sale — 2004 USED Mizuno GZP51c — $120 obo DELIVERED

LEFT HAND THROW: 1B-Firstbase Mitts
For Sale — 2007 Pro Issue Mizuno MZP31 — $130 DELIVERED
For Sale — NWTs Wilson A2802 PST — $130 DELIVERED
For Sale — USED Rawlings PRO-9FB — $130 DELIVERED

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:10 pm 
Gold Glover

Best thing for me is also the easiest: let it air out after you use it. never keep it buried in your bag, and the lining should stay preserved longer.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:59 am 

Post some pics of your glove and I am sure lots of guys here can give you advice.

I have had gloves last a long time.

How long a glove lasts depends on how much you use it. I will admit my gloves did not get used as much as gloves used by guys who played college baseball, or competitives ball after that. Mine were pretty much limited to softball games (1 to 3 games per week) and then coaching the various teams I have coached--throwing batting practice, playing catch with my kids etc.

I think everyone has given you good advice.

Batting gloves would definitely help preserve the lining of your glove. Although I had batting gloves that kind of wore a spot on the piping of one of my gloves where the velcro strap of the batting glove rubbed the piping.

Cleaning gloves would be important.

I generally conditioned my gloves twice per year--once before the season, and then after the season when the glove was put away for winter.

Conditioner is going to be personal preference. For years I used the Rawlings Gloveoilum on my gloves. I will admit that it did make them heavier, but I also happen to like the coloring that my gloves got after 15+ years of conditioning. Saddle soap or mink oil also work, but they can leave kind of a white residue on your glove. Lexol is good, but can get pricey if you are conditioning a lot of gloves. I am becoming a fan of vasoline to condition the leather--is is inexpensive and works well. Often it depends on the glove and what I want to do to it.

New laces will do wonders to restore your glove. Look at a lot of the before and after pics on this site. If you have never relaced a first base mitt, you might want to send it off to someone to be relaced--but be careful of who you send it to. Lots of glove services will only use the 3/16" lace, and not the 1/4" wide lace. Most nicer Rawlings gloves use the 1/4" lace on the web and fingers, and as a first baseman, I think you would want that extra strength of the wider lace on the web of your first base mitt.

After you get the mitt relaced, I would tighten the laces at the end of every season. Just start at one end and gently pull the laces tight with pliers and the re-tie the knots. You can trim excess lace if you want.

You would probably be surprised how much laces stretch, and often times when people think their glove is worn out and floppy, it is just in need of new laces. Before I relaced one of my gloves, after years of use and re-tightening the finger laces, I eventually had an extra 6-8" of lace tied off at the pinky of my glove.

If the glove is floppy because the plastic inserts in the thumb or pinky have broken, there are ways to fix that.

The good gloves pay form themselves in how long they will last you, and the cost of relacing a glove is minimal compared to $200+ for another glove.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:20 pm 

I have a hypothesis that the glove lining contributes as much to the structure than the shell. If relacing doesn't do enough for you, I wonder what the experts think about having the lining redone IF it is in really bad shape. Anyone?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:55 pm 

here are some pics

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:35 am 
Gold Glover

Gabby wrote:
Hey Kevin - there are several things you can do.

I have put together a website mostly for informative purposes. All the information I have compiled is based on what I have learned myself over the years, and what I have been taught by some very knowledgable people in the field of baseball gloves/mitts and leather care. I'm not trying to drum up business, because I work on gloves mostly for hobby.

You have come to the right place, though - there are several people here, including Wake (the administrator), Bob Clevenhagen (Glovemaster at Rawlings), as well as other representatives from various glove manufacturers.

Check out my website - http://www.glovedoctor.net and I'm sure some of these guys may add their thoughts.

Off the top of my head, if the mitt is older - maybe a fresh set of laces could tighten your mitt up.

Gabby,

Love that DCT with the H-web on your site. Let me know if you are ever looking to let it go.

Pro Preferred PRO200-6K
HOH PRODCTP
HOH PRODC
HOH PROAP5
HOH PRO-TB

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:24 am 

The tan one with the black laces? It's available. Make an offer.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:36 pm 

чита256.2рассCHAPRebeBradлесоFladEminCarlхороКравАбраTescRondJudyTescДиксTescХиллхороИллюDeko
RoseАртиЗгурDaryЗариИванПопо