WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Breaking in Nokona Bloodline
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:56 pm 

We own several Nokona gloves as my son has been growing up and playing ball. I myself own an older Walnut/Kangaroo model which I broke in with nothing but hard work playing catch. I only condition when it looks to be dry and its rub some in and wipe it off.

I have used Nokona conditioner for my son's Nokona's and probably over conditioned his primary glove but I was trying to cheat to get it game ready quickly and he has abused it in all kinds of weather conditions. I have conditioned after each season and only when played in the rain during season.

He is now 14 and we purchased a Bloodline which is quite an investment but it is brutally stiff. I am looking for advice on how to break this in effectively but not over conditioning. Any advice would be appreciated. I tend to just use the conditioner in the palm through the webbing and into the two break points. I then wipe it as dry as possible, place a ball in the pocket, wrap and let it sit a day or two before playing catch. Given the expense, I don't want to ruin the glove so appreciate your advice.

Also, what do you guys do when you store gloves for off-season or extended periods.

Thx.

Post subject: Re: Breaking in Nokona Bloodline
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:19 pm 

Patience is the best advice I can give

It took me two years to break in my Nokona catchers mitt... I think I could have broken in a mitt made from tractor tire material quicker :)

anywhoo I went to the batting cages as often as I could and let the machine have at it and it helped quite a bit. One thing you dont want to do is drown it in the Nokona conditioner stuff, because it makes the glove heavy and too floppy. We had a girl that over did it, and the glove needed to submerged in kitty litter for a week to soak up that conditioner. Then I had to wash it with warm water and let it set for three days, then use a light conditioner.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:07 pm 

A few other things that can help with the process:

Pounding the pocket with a glove mallet.

A small amount of pounding the break points with a glove mallet or light dumbbell (need to determine where you want the break points first).

Working and bending the heel and thumb padding.

Once the break points and pocket have a good start, finish the process by playing catch or catching balls at a batting cage.

Regarding conditioning, I personally like to give a very light coat of Wilson Pro Stock gel on the whole glove, including the laces and interior.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:04 am 

I have read everything I can on this subject, and here is my conclusion. There are two types of conditioners, those that protect the leather and those that "feed" it. Vasoline (e.g. Vinci conditioner and Nokona Leather Treatment) will seal in moisture and protect the leather, but will not feed the leather. So long as you don't use too much, it will stay on the surface and won't make the glove heavy. It will though inhibit other conditioners from getting in the leather. The other type are those that feed the leather (e.g. Lexol (brown bottle), Glovestuff, etc.). My sense is that some of these are water-based and the water will evaporate so they don't make the glove heavy. Still, I think moderation is key, unless you found Grandpa's old J.C. Higgins glove in the attic. Never use Neat's Foot oil or any other oil as it will soak in and break down the leather and you'll have a mess.

But new gloves are not dry and don't need a lot of protection. In fact, the Prime (Bloodline) leather is not a dry leather (I am not sure they call it oil-tanned though). It does not need conditioning out of the factory. A little conditioner may help to get the leather to break down a little faster, but you don't want to accelerate deterioration too much. And I'd only put it in areas you want to soften up (e.g. break points, hinge, etc.). Still, breaking it in mechanically is the best option IMHO.

Here is what I do. For new gloves, I get about 1T-2T of water boiling. I put my hand in the glove and I pour the water in the pocket. I let a little soak in, let the rest run out, then I work it over with a mallet. Once it dries, I rub some Lexol in the pocket and hinge and wrap a ball in it with an Ace bandage. After that, just catch and the mallet.

For older gamers, at the end of the season I'll clean the glove with Lexol (orange bottle) and then use a little conditioner, and then a light coat of Vasoline.

I don't know enough about Primo Glove Butter, Wilson Pro Stock Gel, and Mizuno Strong Oil to have an opinion as whether they are more like Vasoline or Lexol. Glovesmith's Glove Honey is pure lanolin oil, and Glovesmith warns to use it sparingly.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:16 pm 

I have come to the conclusion that breaking in a glove needs nothing. Just patience, pain, and suffering. I have put nothing on my stiff Glovesmith and almost a month later I still can't close it. My hand aches. I love it.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:00 am 

I agree that nothing beats a little patience and tlc. When i was younger I broke it several high quality, very stiff gloves. I took pains to wrap the glove to get the break points I wanted, but I used very little glove oil and I played catch with it as soon it the glove would bend enough to close around a ball. I admit to wincing a bit about the mallets and hot water treatments, etc. that some of the very knowledgeable glove guys on this site talk about using. To each his own.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:36 pm 

I used to agree with the "nothing but catch" philosophy, but then two things happened. 1) I got my USA Custom Duratan glove (no progress after 2 months) and 2) I read the above described water treatment described by none other than Bob Clevenhagen. I would never soak a glove, but a few tablespoons I think is fine.

Also though, I don't really think of the Bloodlines as particularly stiff. Certainly they are in comparison to most of today's gloves, but a few weeks of daily catch (maybe 6) and it should be good to go. And can you think of a better way to spend an hour!

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:59 pm 

Thanks all for your feedback. No more conditioner aside from what I put in the palm. I am wrapping it nightly and have a good break point in the hinge. I am working it with a glove mallet to help deepen the pocket. Its starting to budge.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:06 am