WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Wheat 1225
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:24 pm 

It finally arrived. The wheat is about as close to old school tan as you can get. Very dry, very stiff, and pretty darn light. I had a Rawlings SLCS PRO504 made out of the camel Horween leather, and this glove feels and smells just like it (I gave the SLCS to my father-in-law for Father's Day). The glove weighs in at 23.5 oz. Not bad for 12.25". I asked for 5" wide cross bars as it will be used for softball and for extra adjustment to thumb/pinkie loops. This glove pattern is known to have a large hand opening and since I like a snugger fit, I asked for the same modification that Augie got. The button lap adjustment is slightly clunky, but I guess that is to be expected for such a change that throws off the geometry. There is an extra set of holes for the opening to be tightened further, but the larger set of holes is about perfect, so no complaints here.

I also asked them to skip the palm padding if possible. Call me a Neanderthal, but very few palm pads work for me and as a softball glove, that matters less than on a baseball glove. They were able to do so, but in order to maintain the lace-free lining, they sewed in a thin strip of leather for the palm lace to grab. There does not seem to be any downside to this. IMO, they could have brought the lace through to the lining, but I know Bart prefers not to do that as sweat getting in those holes is a source for dry rot to start.

Also, I asked them to include a swatch of the blonde and of the bomber gray. On the web site they call the blonde "soft" but it really isn't THAT much softer than the wheat and it is certainly stiffer than most glove you find on shelves at stores. I'd have no problem ordering a glove made out of it. As for the gray, it is a typical oil tanned leather (softer than the blonde), but a very cool mottled look.

Anyway, the part you are all waiting for, the pics:

Post subject: Re: Wheat 1225
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:40 pm 

looks great Rous!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:01 pm 

Beautiful looking glove. You mentioned that you requested 5" wide cross sections for the web, if you choose "for softball use" on the order form for the 12.25 pattern does glovesmith automatically use 5" wide straps, or must you specifically request it?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:52 pm 

I am not sure what the default for a "softball" glove is. I called as asked about the options and they said 4.5" is standard, but they have stamps for 4.75", 5" and 5.25". I figured 5.25" was a bit too wide and stuck with 5". With a tape measure, the thumb and finger (from the palm side) are 4.5" apart at the mid-web cross bar.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:27 am 

Well, I'm biased but I think this looks great. :D

What does this make, 3? 4?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:08 am 

I cannot really complete the review until I get the glove broken in, but right now, the only change I would make is maybe having them skip the patch and just stamp the Glovesmith logo directly on the button lap (might have looked less awkward that way). But as is, I can also report that the dark tan used for the label is a really nice color. It is a darker brown and less orange than my dark tan glove -- very similar to the new $500 Mizuno Pro Limited gloves. I don't wish I had used it, but it is REALLY nice.

The more I work it just in my hands (too stiff even for couch catch so far), the better it fits. The pattern is somewhere between an PRO-504 and a Vinci BMB.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:39 am 

Pics with the 1225USA alongside a Vinci BMB and a Nokona BM76.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:12 pm 

That is a sweet looking glove rous. How long did it take to arrive from the time you ordered? I ordered a 12 inch wheat model designed like the 1781 from Chris a week and a half ago, curious when I should expect it.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:44 pm 

I think this pone took about 5 weeks, but I asked for a lot of modifications. I think they build them much quicker if your order is more stock.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:58 pm 

Chris told me the custom requests will add to the time. I only asked for a doublestitched i web and to minimize palm padding. The index pad is a nice touch. I kept going back and forth on that option. Have fun breaking it in.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:39 pm 

Having them skip the palm pad was the best choice I made. I've never really had gloves with palm pads until recently, and while the padding can be helpful at times, I don't find it worth the loss of feel. It helps that the Horween is 5.5-6 oz leather (about as thick as it gets).

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:44 am 

Rous wrote:
Pics with the 1225USA alongside a Vinci BMB and a Nokona BM76.

I must say I like the look of that one in the middle... What do you call that one and where can I get one? I keep reading the name D!(I(C*K$ in your posts... Is this where you find them? :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:38 pm 

"I must say I like the look of that one in the middle... What do you call that one and where can I get one? I keep reading the name D!(I(C*K$ in your posts... Is this where you find them? "

Somebody new, or reading the post above later, is not going to get the inside joke and think you're being serious!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:49 pm 

True enough, but just for the future generations that find this thread, there are only going to be a few like the "one in the middle" as Nokona is discontinuing the brown kangaroo in favor of chocolate. Luckily for asho, he has one on the way!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:11 pm 

Rous wrote:
True enough, but just for the future generations that find this thread, there are only going to be a few like the "one in the middle" as Nokona is discontinuing the brown kangaroo in favor of chocolate. Luckily for asho, he has one on the way!

All Thanks to you Rous!!!!
Don't try get me hooked on another glove maker now :D