WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Re: What have I missed here...?
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:15 pm 

shiftclick wrote:
Im on IG, I do enjoy a lot of it, but a big part of it is a giant circle jerk of kids selling the same gloves over and over. I really don't get it. Kid buys a glove, posts pictures of it before he even has it in his own hands, how its the best glove ever, and then before he even has it in his possession he's trying to sell it for a mark up, and the glove he bought sat on eBay or another IG'rs account for weeks trying to be sold. Next kid buys it and does the exact same thing. And while I use the term "kid" lets be real, there are plenty of IG'rs with dad or coach in their screen name and they are doing the same crap, so while I wish I could say its regelated to just the youth, its mainly the collectors who dominate a lot of the buying and selling. Took me a while to catch on to some of the antics, but yeah the analogy to shoes, swatches, cabbage patch kids, beanie babies is pretty spot on, to a lot of them its just something there to collect and try and make a profit. Not judging to each their own, but it does cause some confusion/frustration when that mind set is blended with guys looking for the perfect glove or wants to learn and try out different models. A lot of misinformation gets passed along in the name of profit.

Someone showed their age with the cabbage patch kids reference :)

Spot on though

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:26 pm 

Another angle however, is I almost feel bad selling on there.
First, lets be real.. most of the selling (thats not wislon/rawlings dealers who use it as a way to sell their gloves for way less than msrp and dont care about the model just the sale) is essentially now a silent auction. "DM offers if paypal ready". So, this is annoying to a degree because even if you want to slide down that slippery slope and offer something fair- You cant even buy said glove because the seller wants to hold out for a higher offer and only they dont get one is the fair offer taken. To me, that seems like a great way NOT to sell a glove. I applaud each time someone actually has a price listed on their glove for sale. Makes it simpler. What, you dont want people knowing you are a slime ball and way over charging so you make someone message you so you can over charge in private???

But, back to my original point.. its hard. I dont usually mind telling someone what I paid for something.
This could end up being bad because lets say you stumble on to a nice glove at a estate sale for $50. You decide you want to sell it and $150 is reasonable as it retails for $250.
Instead of people seeing they are getting a deal - now you are ripping them off b/c you are tryng to make a buck. This is only when the asking price is still fair and in this example it is at $100 off msrp.

Other example I think i'd feel terrible about is say a buddy hooks you up. The glove arrives and its cool but you dont like it as much as you thought. 3 weeks later you decide youd rather have something else and go to sell it. Sometimes you get offers that are for more than you paid... are you a jerk for profiting off of the deal?
Morally, if selling in a public place is it best to sell at the same price you bought it for even if you have offers of more?
I dont recall this being an issue yet... but ive always wondered. Its another reason why i dont think i like selling on there...

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:17 pm 

Heh, yeah I'm not even sure cabbage patch kids are a good analogy as I can't remember if there was much of secondary market for them or not. I think of cabbage patch kids when I see everyone lined up outside of shoe/apple stores.

I'm with ya I avoid the silent auction stuff, even if its a glove I want to buy. There always seems to be that "mystery team" willing to pay more. Little Scott Boras' all over IG. Its why this forum and SBF enforce a price, we all want to be on the same level when it comes to buying and selling.

I don't think there is anything wrong selling or BUYING a glove at fair market price. Granted if a friend cuts you some slack, the right thing to do is offer the glove back to them in a similar fair deal considering its use. If they don't want it, then again getting a fair market price is only appropriate. I don't think there is anything inherently evil with profit, but when that's the only motive it really ruins the hobby as a whole.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:34 pm 

bigmac25 wrote:
Another angle however, is I almost feel bad selling on there.
First, lets be real.. most of the selling (thats not wislon/rawlings dealers who use it as a way to sell their gloves for way less than msrp and dont care about the model just the sale) is essentially now a silent auction. "DM offers if paypal ready". So, this is annoying to a degree because even if you want to slide down that slippery slope and offer something fair- You cant even buy said glove because the seller wants to hold out for a higher offer and only they dont get one is the fair offer taken. To me, that seems like a great way NOT to sell a glove. I applaud each time someone actually has a price listed on their glove for sale. Makes it simpler. What, you dont want people knowing you are a slime ball and way over charging so you make someone message you so you can over charge in private???

But, back to my original point.. its hard. I dont usually mind telling someone what I paid for something.
This could end up being bad because lets say you stumble on to a nice glove at a estate sale for $50. You decide you want to sell it and $150 is reasonable as it retails for $250.
Instead of people seeing they are getting a deal - now you are ripping them off b/c you are tryng to make a buck. This is only when the asking price is still fair and in this example it is at $100 off msrp.

Other example I think i'd feel terrible about is say a buddy hooks you up. The glove arrives and its cool but you dont like it as much as you thought. 3 weeks later you decide youd rather have something else and go to sell it. Sometimes you get offers that are for more than you paid... are you a jerk for profiting off of the deal?
Morally, if selling in a public place is it best to sell at the same price you bought it for even if you have offers of more?
I dont recall this being an issue yet... but ive always wondered. Its another reason why i dont think i like selling on there...

There are wilson and rawlings dealers on there. In the last few days, rawlings released a new custom order form. How do I know this? It's because I have seen multiple people who are rawlings dealers post the form and said something like "DM me if you want a custom glove quote" and "get your TT2 customs from me" on instagram.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:51 pm 

Quote:
There are wilson and rawlings dealers on there. In the last few days, rawlings released a new custom order form. How do I know this? It's because I have seen multiple people who are rawlings dealers post the form and said something like "DM me if you want a custom glove quote" and "get your TT2 customs from me" on instagram.
Some of them aren't even dealers.. Just saying. There are many scammers out there promising PRO DEPARTMENT ordering. Beware.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:49 pm 

I am all for turning a profit - I know I made some good drinking money in college doing that. I will say though there was maybe 1/2 deals gone sour on here or even eBay from our group. It seems like the IG area is a disaster for fraud ect.

If someone will pay $300 then it's worth $300. I feel bad (slightly) for the parent who's shelling out $500 for a glove their kid just got conned into though.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:57 pm 
Gold Glover

Ive seen numerous custom gloves ive made and sold some how become "pro issue" on instagram. Its a bruciato pro217 single posts with grey laces and navy embroidery. I bought it in 2010 from mortons and its certainly made its rounds on instagram. So much of ig is just brag posting.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:58 pm 

goldy the gopher wrote:
Ive seen numerous custom gloves ive made and sold some how become "pro issue" on instagram. Its a bruciato pro217 single posts with grey laces and navy embroidery. I bought it in 2010 from mortons and its certainly made its rounds on instagram. So much of ig is just brag posting.

Not gonna lie, those are always the best laughs right there. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:20 am 

DatDuke wrote:
Quote:
Some of them aren't even dealers.. Just saying. There are many scammers out there promising PRO DEPARTMENT ordering. Beware.

A lot are legit sellers and some have some really nice gloves, but they never set a price unless it doesn't move quickly and try to get the highest price possible from someone who gets caught up on buying the hot glove of the day. One thing I really despise about those people is how arrogant they are. Just because you have a lot of followers on instagram and sell gloves as a business does not make you a big deal in the real world.

The "pro issue" hashtag of gloves that are not real pro issue gloves is one of my biggest annoyances on ig. I have questioned a poster, nah lets call him for what he is, a shady seller (he has good gloves, but sells them in a scumbag way) if it was really a pro issued because there were no pictures of any proof of any stampings or tags or any way that he could prove it and he gets really pissed at me and says how important he is and I'm nobody and how he'll ruin my reputation. I don't sell anything and I go on ig once every few days so I don't know what reputation he's talking about. I'm there to just there to look at pics of other stuff I'm into. Not just gloves, but I guess his whole world is collecting and selling gloves and I only have what I use to play with so I guess in the glove world I'm a nobody and I'm perfectly fine with that.