WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Waiting on wheat
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:06 pm 

Horween requires a very larger order for them to make a batch of the baseball glove leather. Since Glovesmith does not order enough to justify a batch, they piggyback onto another order. Since fewer and fewer gloves are made from the good stuff (Code 55 type glove leather), the production is spaced further apart. Glovesmith has been waiting for a few months for some of the wheat to come in. They tell me this is the longest they have ever had to wait. I'll keep GWF posted.

Post subject: Re: Waiting on wheat
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:27 pm 

How awesome would it be if Don Morton's made some "Exclusives" from Glovesmith? There must be someone on here that has enough clout to encourage the two companies to work together.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:20 pm 
Gold Glover

I think the usa series that justballgloves.com was offering would be considered exclusive. Unfortunately those didn't sell that well and got blown out at discounted prices towards the end.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:31 pm 

goldy the gopher wrote:
I think the usa series that justballgloves.com was offering would be considered exclusive. Unfortunately those didn't sell that well and got blown out at discounted prices towards the end.

Yeah - I guess it sort of has been tried - but there were so few patterns, and they were all two-tone, which doesn't usually go over well (the leather, however, felt awesome). Kind of the equivalent to agreeing to make exclusive Rawlings, then doing nothing but basket webbed fastbacks. I bet if they had three or four models that were most popular, like an all black single post or H-web with an openback, etc... that they might sell better.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong and just blinded by the fact that I want them to exist...

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:29 pm 

Called today... "Horween says it will be at least another month." I take that to mean there are no pending orders for the wheat.

Oh, and the minimum order is 2,000 SF of hide.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:52 pm 

Just to add to the last post, I just talked to Bart and it takes about 4.5' of leather to make a glove. So 2,000 SF is 400 gloves.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:01 pm 

Will put in an order for another GS once wheat has been replenished. These gloves are the bees nees.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:53 pm 

Bart just told me the current (non-Horween) black is about the same stiffness/weight as the Horween wheat. So now I am thinking I might give Horween anotehr week or so and then go with the black. According to Bart, while Horween makes the best tan, bar none, a few tanneries can match them on the black.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:17 pm 

I have two duratan wheat gloves and a duratan black, and all of them are top notch. I really like the duratan black feel, it is probably the best black leather ive seen. But there is just something special about the duratan wheat for me.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:46 pm 

Any update??

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:14 pm 

I asked Bart a few questions in an email yesterday and he didn't answer th eone about the Horween. If I don't hear back, I'll give him a try tomorrow.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:30 pm 

How long will a batch of wheat last? I want a custom, but wouldn't be able to order until late June. Also, how stiff really is this stuff? I want to try something super stiff. ALSO, would this preform well with a Wheat palm and non oiled black back? Thanks

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:36 pm 

The wheat is quite stiff. It is dry, and seems fairly light but very tough. I believe that the overall firmness is actually due to the type of padding used. If you choose extra firm, be prepared for one seriously stiff glove. My extra stiff wheat gloves are the stiffest gloves I own by far.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:50 pm 

vespr wrote:
The wheat is quite stiff. It is dry, and seems fairly light but very tough. I believe that the overall firmness is actually due to the type of padding used. If you choose extra firm, be prepared for one seriously stiff glove. My extra stiff wheat gloves are the stiffest gloves I own by far.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm looking for something that no one has seen in my area before, and GS's work looks great.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:03 pm 

Make sure all leather used are duratan leathers and youll be breaking it in for a year..