WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Akadema custom gloves debacle UPDATE. Your input?
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:21 pm 

Ok, this is a continuation from the previous thread about ordering 2 gloves from Akadema. I finally got a reply via email yesterday, which I will post here, and I want some input from you the community. Some background. I ordered 2 gloves on November 30 during their 50% promotion, and was quoted a time frame of 6-8 weeks. When I hadn't received them by the start of February, I made 2 calls to Akadema asking them what the deal was. I was told the second time that, quote, "the gloves are delayed from China but should arrive here on February 14th and be sent to you the following week." When I asked to cancel my orders I was told "there is no way you can cancel your orders." Being that I had no choice, Ive waited. Now, I receive this email:

Quote:
I apologize for the continued delay with your custom glove. We are experiencing delays with our factory overseas and getting these gloves here due to the amount of Christmas and Holiday volume. We also went off track with the holidays overseas. I know that we are way past our expected time frame for your custom glove and we are doing everything we can to rectify this situation.

Your glove is estimated expected to come in between March 10 to March 20.

If this should change I will let you know. I will be throwing in a free pair of sunglasses as a thank you for your patience.

I also understand that baseball season is around the corner. If you would like to cancel this order and be refunded the full amount charged I completely understand and can make that happen right away. Please let me know what you would like to do. I apologize again for this inconvenience.

Please again accept our company's sincere apology .

Here's my problem. They refer to one glove, not both which makes me worried. My first practice is in less than a month with the season started the second week of April. Had I been able to cancel my orders back at the start of February, I could have at least bought some stock gloves from another company and had them on their way to being broken in in time for the season. The gloves currently in my collection aren't suited anymore for the positions I'm playing. I was lied to about the gloves already being on the way with no explanation as to why I was told one thing, and now another weeks later. I have $350 worth of gloves ordered with them and they are offering me one pair of sunglasses I don't need, a whopping $40 if the same on their site, that cost the company $5 to make and that's supposed to make up for all this crap?

My point in bringing this up to you the community is twofold. One, is to warn you of what I'm having to go through (and my buddy who ordered as well but hasn't received an email) and to ask you am I overreacting? What recourse do I have/what should I be saying or asking for from them? I am beyond pissed at this, and finding out that I MIGHT have the gloves after another months delay makes it worse. Let me know what you think.

Post subject: Re: Akadema custom gloves debacle UPDATE. Your input?
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:03 am 

I'm very sorry to know of your troubles. You are not overreacting.

If you want the refund and still have trouble getting it, then you should have recourse through your credit card company or even a debit card issuer. Details and other useful info, including specific requirements and limitations about cancellation of delayed goods, can be found here.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0221-billed-merchandise-you-never-received-heres-what-do

Good luck with Akadema and with your preparation for the season.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:43 am 

I would just tell them you want a full refund and go get a nice stock glove. Or tell them that you don't care about a pair of sun glasses, and you will still take the gloves, but only at a further reduced rate. This is unacceptable for a company that should have things in much better order, given how long they've been around. Struggling to keep up with Xmas orders? What do they expect when they unload gloves at 50% off, then outsource everything to a factory on the other side of the world?

As a side note, 50% sales like this also contributes to why you can find Torinos and Patriots on ebay NWT, BIN $130 and they still don't sell...which makes their reseller program a waste and I think ruins their name value. Its kind of like going into Banana Republic and just expecting to pay 40% off, cause why would you pay more? You know whatever you want will be on sale any day now.

I hate to go off on them, since they actually are capable of making a very fine glove...but come on.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:16 am 

One of the reasons I went with this WAS the deal. 2 custom gloves for the price of 1 from most other companies. I've owned many gloves in my life, but I've never had a custom one I designed and that had my name on it. A luxury I was looking forward to finally having. I just took a look at Ebay and I see what you mean about their top of the line gloves. Kind of defeats the point.

One benefit since I tweeted out the issues I've been having with Akadema is the tweet's I've received from Rico and 44Positions about getting custom gloves done. I have no idea of the quality or general opinion of either company, but its nice to see some proactive moves by other companies. As for whether or not Akadema makes a good glove, I wouldn't know, I still don't have mine!

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:54 pm 

I have no experience with Rico or 44...but I'm sure you can find something on here about them. I have ordered a Rolin custom from JCglovesUSA with much success. Talk about customizability...they can do pretty much anything, and its $100 cheaper than any other custom. And you won't have to worry about customer service issues like this if you order through JC.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:08 pm 

I'm on week nine.. I alerted some people on the form to this deal and I regret it. If I knew this would happen I wouldn't have bought one myself.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:24 pm 

Update that happened today. I'm out of country so my wife has been trying to contact Akadema since Wednesday. Since its been 3 weeks and I never received a response to my email, I asked her to call and tell them I wanted my money refunded to me since it was offered (i.e. they don't want to make the gloves and this way they get their backlog down.) She called and was told by the customer service rep who answered that ONLY the person who sent the email can process the refund.

Again, they as a company cannot refund my money, only the specific person who sent the email. So she left voicemails for him on Wednesday, Thursday, and again Friday morning, never got a call back. Finally this evening she called and demanded to talk to a supervisor, and only after threatening to call our credit card company and file a complaint as well as deny the charges did the sales rep who emailed me MIRACOUSLY was able to answer the phone.

They refused to refund the money to my credit card, saying that it would cause too many problems on their end. Instead, at some point in the next week they will send me a check in the mail for the amount of the gloves. My wife actually had to argue with them to refund the shipping costs included with the sale. I repeat, THEY WERE GOING TO KEEP THE SHIPPING MONEY ON GLOVES THEY NEVER COMPLETED OR SHIPPED.

Assuming I actually get the check in the mail next week, I can close the book on this debacle. Bottom line is that I will not have a custom glove for either my upcoming baseball or softball season as no company can build me one and ship it in time for me to break it in before the games start. Not only have I gotten the run around and pissed off, but they have wasted my time to the point I can't even have another company create one in time. I can honestly say, with no hyperbole, I have never had such a horrible experience with a company in my life. It is my sincere hope that Akadema goes out of business and that ball players everywhere find a different company to go with for their gloves, hopefully with a company that gives a damn about their customers.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:20 am 

Sorry you had to go through that experience man. Last year I ordered from them during the holidays and mine was delayed by two months. After reading this, I definitely will not be ordering from Akadema again.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:30 pm 

RhynoVirus wrote:
Sorry you had to go through that experience man. Last year I ordered from them during the holidays and mine was delayed by two months. After reading this, I definitely will not be ordering from Akadema again.

So it took your gloves 8 weeks plus another 2 months?

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:34 pm 

I ordered one after seeing the 50% off deal posted here on the forum.

Two weeks ago, Akadema emailed me explaining the delay, and offering a refund.

I elected to take the refund.

I got a full refund check in the mail yesterday.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:30 pm 

GoHeels wrote:
RhynoVirus wrote:

So it took your gloves 8 weeks plus another 2 months?

Correct. I ordered mine back in November of last year. They originally told me they were delayed, but I'd have them mid February. Later they told me I wouldn't have it until March 20th. They told my wife when she called that in reality, it "might not be until mid-April."

So, yeah.

I'm glad you got the refund JC, makes me less worried about not getting one.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:59 pm 

They won't respond to my emails.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:05 am 

GoHeels wrote:

Never responded to mine either. Go, you're going to need to call them. And keep calling them, that's what we had to do. Check arrived yesterday in the mail. As long as it actually clears, I'm done with them for good.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:02 pm 

Emperor wrote:
GoHeels wrote:

Never responded to mine either. Go, you're going to need to call them. And keep calling them, that's what we had to do. Check arrived yesterday in the mail. As long as it actually clears, I'm done with them for good.

Heard back from them:

Custom gloves are slightly backed up due to some issues overseas. Generally the gloves turn over in 7-11 weeks. Right now they are getting in and out around 10-12 weeks.

Thanks again,

Chris Felix
Customer Service Manager
Akadema Professional

I'm beginning to think they give everyone the same run around. I'm on week 10 we'll see.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:49 pm 

that's the same guy who told me I'd bet getting it mid Fed (3 weeks late on a 6-8 week quoted order) and then later emailed me telling me I wouldn't get it until March 10-20 "maybe." He's also the one who refused to call my wife back for 3 days when she left numerous messages requesting the offered refund. It wasn't until she called the customer service line on day 4 he happened to answer the general phone line.

Good luck Heels. Personally, I'd ask for the refund.