WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Metal vs. Wood Bats in College Ball
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:01 pm 

What is your opinion on college players using metal vs. wooden bats?

The rules allow for it so the vast majority of college players use a metal bat. I mean you'd be crazy to give up that gigantic sweet spot and hurt your numbers on paper if you wanted to get drafted right? However, a lot of guys who raked in college end up grounding out and sawing through bats once they get to the minors because most of them have never used a wooden bat in their life. Some have even argued that a wood bat will produce more power than a BBCOR metal bat so long as you square up on the ball and use proper mechanics.

So is it worth giving up a little in your numbers to gain experience using a wooden bat in college? Should the rules be changed to only allow wooden bats at the college level? If players want to play at any level beyond college ball they're going to have to learn to use a wooden bat, shouldn't they start getting experience with it in college?

An interesting article on the topic:
http://baseballjournal.com/news/players ... ooden_bats

Post subject: Re: Metal vs. Wood Bats in College Ball
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:22 pm 

Most if not all D1 players have used wood during PerfectGame events or other branded showcases... I know familiarity and confidence with wood is much more commonplace these days, and has been for at least the last 10 or so years... it would almost be impossible for a potential draft pick these days to not be seen by scouts using a wood bat at some point.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:18 pm 

I really wish college's would drop metal and require wood. Great topic!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:41 pm 

My brother played at a much higher level than me. Any time he hit in front of scout, even in high school, they wanted to see wood. showcases were wood. summer leagues in college were wood. they were encouraged at his D1 college to take BP with wood and hit in the cage with wood. i'd love to see colleges get rid of metal too, but as BoltsBaseball already mentioned, people who are now or who have played at high end colleges have probably played quite a bit with wood too.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:01 pm 

So if there is so much emphasis on wood bats during all these scouting events, why not just make wood mandatory for NCAA baseball?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:45 pm 

David wrote:
So if there is so much emphasis on wood bats during all these scouting events, why not just make wood mandatory for NCAA baseball?

yeah, no kidding.

i have no insight into what is cause the resistance. but i wonder how much of it has to do with cost. figure, each player needs a metal bat per season, so call it $200 ish (making some guesses here). If you want a quality wood bat you are looking at at least $50, and that would be cheap. maybe more like 70-80. and those break. So maybe per player now you need 10 bats per player (again, a total guess). but the idea is there. a school may end up saving many thousands of dollars by using metal. just a thought.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:39 pm 

I think it's the sponsors (aka metal bat manufacturers) that keep pushing for the continuation of metal bats in college. A good college level bat can get up in the $300-500 range really easily, and some bats like the Mako are even more expensive than that. If college dropped wood bats the only people buying would be high school players. That would be a huge and instantaneous drop in your market if you were a metal bat manufacturer. How many high school players would be will to drop five bills on a bat?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:27 pm 

I know when my kid was doing the showcases, he would use wood except when they would measure the "bat exit speed" where he would revert to metal (there was about a 4-6 point increase average).
When speaking with the college scouts, they would prefer for programs to use wood. Unfortunately, due to program budgets, it wasn't feesible.
Yes, some of the bigger name programs get the sponsorships (free gear for exposure) but with my boys school, they had deals with local reps to receive 30-40% off retail with warranty for metal or wood. It would be nice for all to use wood because you also play defense differently to metal.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:51 pm 

David wrote:

Because the newest Easton BBCOR bat, lists for $550.
There's way too much money in alloys and (especially) composites, for the bat manufacturers to ever let non-pro ball go mandatory wood.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:40 pm 

There is a shortage of Ash, I believe..... Maple has been scrutinized so much for safety reasons. Maybe it is best that HS/Collegiate use metal.

I always used a Baum bat and wood when I was in college. I've seen prospects using wood in games in HS.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:30 pm 

I wish the Baum bats were still affordable. They've gone up so much in price I can't justify it.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:47 pm 

Baum's stopped production recently and is looking for a buyer for it's production equipment... That's why they've skyrocketed in price, because they ain't makin' em...

Metal/composite bats will NEVER go away in NCAA...

"LSU's contract with coach Paul Mainieri lists $275,000 in supplemental pay for Mainieri through equipment contracts..."

LSU

Company: Wilson

Length of contract: 4 years (through June 30, 2016)

Annual compensation: LSU receives $275,000

Bonuses: None are specifically outlined for team performance. LSU's contract with coach Paul Mainieri lists $275,000 in supplemental pay for Mainieri through equipment contracts. The Wilson contract stipulates Mainieri is a Wilson advisory staff member and receives $10,000 worth of Wilson merchandise each year.

Free products: 80 DeMarini bats; 30 wood composite bats; 1,500 camp T-shirts; 192 wristbands; 12 golf shirts; 252 pairs of batting gloves; 60 fielding gloves; 36 helmets; 60 travel bags with wheels; 8 sets of catchers gear and helmet; 12 ball buckets; 10 dozen ATEC dimple balls; 45 player bags; 8 fungo bats; 4 skull caps; 24 dozen SCB baseballs; 4 sets of youth catchers gear and helmet; 2 youth bats. The total products are valued at $115,000 per year.

Promotional rights: LSU grants Wilson the right to use its team images to promote any product, pending approval by LSU. Wilson is the title sponsor of one event annually at LSU. Wilson holds a "Glove Day" sales event at LSU. Wilson can use LSU's baseball field at least once a year for mutually agreeable uses for no less than four hours. LSU will prominently display Wilson, DeMarini and/or ATEC banners at all baseball functions. Wilson gets a half-page ad in LSU's program. Mainieri makes at least one promotional appearance a year for Wilson.

Contract restrictions: Coaches and players are required to exclusively use Wilson/DeMarini products in practices, games and public appearances "to the extent permitted by the Southeastern Conference and the NCAA." Mainieri said in this promotional video for DeMarini bats that he allowed the players to choose which bat company to use.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013 ... t_493.html

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:16 pm 

I'd love to see wood in college. But it seems as if the NCAA is looking to add more offense to the games. (For more attendance, probably)

They recently switched to low seamed baseballs which will obviously increase offense.

My future schools uses strictly wood in fall ball. I think this is standard in most programs across the country.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:12 pm 

BoltsBaseball wrote:
Metal/composite bats will NEVER go away in NCAA...

"LSU's contract with coach Paul Mainieri lists $275,000 in supplemental pay for Mainieri through equipment contracts..."

LSU

Company: Wilson

Length of contract: 4 years (through June 30, 2016)

Annual compensation: LSU receives $275,000

Bonuses: None are specifically outlined for team performance. LSU's contract with coach Paul Mainieri lists $275,000 in supplemental pay for Mainieri through equipment contracts. The Wilson contract stipulates Mainieri is a Wilson advisory staff member and receives $10,000 worth of Wilson merchandise each year.

Free products: 80 DeMarini bats; 30 wood composite bats; 1,500 camp T-shirts; 192 wristbands; 12 golf shirts; 252 pairs of batting gloves; 60 fielding gloves; 36 helmets; 60 travel bags with wheels; 8 sets of catchers gear and helmet; 12 ball buckets; 10 dozen ATEC dimple balls; 45 player bags; 8 fungo bats; 4 skull caps; 24 dozen SCB baseballs; 4 sets of youth catchers gear and helmet; 2 youth bats. The total products are valued at $115,000 per year.

Promotional rights: LSU grants Wilson the right to use its team images to promote any product, pending approval by LSU. Wilson is the title sponsor of one event annually at LSU. Wilson holds a "Glove Day" sales event at LSU. Wilson can use LSU's baseball field at least once a year for mutually agreeable uses for no less than four hours. LSU will prominently display Wilson, DeMarini and/or ATEC banners at all baseball functions. Wilson gets a half-page ad in LSU's program. Mainieri makes at least one promotional appearance a year for Wilson.

Contract restrictions: Coaches and players are required to exclusively use Wilson/DeMarini products in practices, games and public appearances "to the extent permitted by the Southeastern Conference and the NCAA." Mainieri said in this promotional video for DeMarini bats that he allowed the players to choose which bat company to use.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013 ... t_493.html

Yeah, and that right there I think is the only real reason they won't switch. Too much money in the sponsors.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:51 pm 

There is little difference between the new BBCOR -3 bats and wood. People are still adjusting to that reality. Offence is down close to 1970's levels in college because of the new bats. I think they came out in 2012, maybe 2011? The BBCOR bats end up being cheaper and are more consistent than wood. The possibility exists with a wood bat that you can have a hotter bat than a BBCOR due to the variance within wood species.

My 15 yr.old son uses both interchangeably. He prefers his Easton S3 when there are extreme conditions ( cold,wet) and finds that the S3 has a tad more pop, but it's really nothing compared to the older bats.

So basically, the good old days are back again. The new bats have teeny sweet spots. Last fall my boy played in a league where you could use the -5, BBCOR-3, or wood. Every time a -5 came to bat the catcher made a signal and the OF all moved 50-75 feet further back, depending on the size of batter. On top of that, the Trampoline effect difference is massive between the -5 and the -3. The balls rocket back to the infield . Wood and -3 behave virtually the same... Maybe a slight edge to the metal/ graphite.