WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Nike Won't Do Customs Without A Contract
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:46 pm 

No matter what level you play at (even the Majors) Nike will not make you a custom glove unless you sign a contract with them. This is why you rarely see them in the minors, and only a handful of MLB players have them. I can only think of 2 position players- jimmy Rollins and Matt Holliday. If you've never had a Nike custom before, you don't know that you're going to like it, so why would you sign a contact that requires you to wear it? This is the only company I've heard of doing this, and it's the same company that has the smallest selection of retail gloves.

Post subject: Re: Nike Won't Do Customs Without A Contract
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:22 am 

You can get a custom nike in Rakuten and most japanese baseball goods websites. And as for the Nike gloves for MLB players the variations from a "Pro" model to a retail one are the less. The Jimmy Rollins' glove only has the swoosh embroidered in red and that's it, along with the name. Nike is been making better gloves but sometimes the price range is way out of reach.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:31 am 

Nike is only interested in extending the brand via exposure. You don't see many postion players because casual fans have no idea what glove Matt Holiday uses. Nike is only interested in catchers , human billboards , and pitchers. They get pitchers into their gloves because they tie the shoe contract to glove usage. Established MLB pitchers have enough clout to say no dice. Up an coming pitchers are the easy mark. Playres get paid for virtually every product they wear. Shoes are one of the more lucrative items. Miner leaguers have no interest to Nike ( aka the "swooshtica") as they do not drive the brand. My point is Nike is not in for baseball they are in it to add scale to their Brand.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:00 am 

Minor leaguersl. Gloves I know , spelling is another issue

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:23 pm 

rproulx86 wrote:
No matter what level you play at (even the Majors) Nike will not make you a custom glove unless you sign a contract with them. This is why you rarely see them in the minors, and only a handful of MLB players have them. I can only think of 2 position players- jimmy Rollins and Matt Holliday. If you've never had a Nike custom before, you don't know that you're going to like it, so why would you sign a contact that requires you to wear it? This is the only company I've heard of doing this, and it's the same company that has the smallest selection of retail gloves.

Hum!! I seem to have seen a lot more then 2 guys using Nike Pro custom gloves- in fact it'a a whole lot more!

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:56 pm 

I said I could only think of 2 position players that use Nike gloves, Jimmy Rollins and Matt Holliday. In fact, it's not a whole lot more!

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:14 pm 
Gold Glover

Dustin Ackley uses a nike glove.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:21 pm 

goldy the gopher wrote:
Dustin Ackley uses a nike glove.

Yeah, probably cause that's what he used at UNC. He already knew how it would preform.

Other than Rollins, Holliday, and Ackley I don't know of any other position players who wear one.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:03 pm 

Carlos Gonzalez rockies, david robertson nyy, Mo 42 nyy, lester,

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:17 pm 

Speaking of Cargo, I talked to him at Spring Training and saw his glove up close, that was a piece of art

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:36 pm 

I specifically said there aren't a lot of position players using Nike, of which we're up to 4. A lot of pitchers use them because pitchers don't care as much about their gloves. Also, Nike pays pitchers to use their gloves because you see their gloves on TV more and it's advertising. It's funny that you started naming pitchers and thought of David Robertson, but not Sabathia, Halladay, or Felix.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:41 pm 

Hoyt9 wrote:
Carlos Gonzalez rockies, david robertson nyy, Mo 42 nyy, lester,

Jeremy Hellickson, David Price, Stephen Strasburg, John Danks, And of course King Felix- I think up some more soon.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:15 pm 

rproulx86 wrote:
I specifically said there aren't a lot of position players using Nike, of which we're up to 4. A lot of pitchers use them because pitchers don't care as much about their gloves. Also, Nike pays pitchers to use their gloves because you see their gloves on TV more and it's advertising. It's funny that you started naming pitchers and thought of David Robertson, but not Sabathia, Halladay, or Felix.

As a pitcher I feel that I need to respond to that. While I do 100% agree to you that pitchers to provide a lot more opportunity for brand recognition, I feel that (especially on a glove collector forum) it is a huge fallacy to say that pitchers don't care as much about their gloves as position players (I know the response of MLB players get free gloves and I will contest it as well). I personally keep my pitching gloves in a separate bag alone, just to keep them in ever better shape than my fielding gloves. The glove is the last chance you have to "reset" your grip before sending the ball. I have three "gamers" that I use regularly because certain days I like the feel over the others. You will never see a speck of dirt that I havent tried to take off on any of them. I know I may be a minority, but all nine positions take care of their gloves how they want to. It is completely independent of what position they are playing. I know I pay for my gloves and MLB players do not, but again, the glove is the pitchers last chance to salvage a botched grips. And believe me, when you are 60' 6" from the bat, you want to have a glove you can get to the ball quick (I will not say that is an argument that pitchers care more about their gloves). Again, I agree that it is more common for pitchers to have Nike gloves, but that is not because they don't care as much. (Think Jon Lester and his LiveStrong glove)

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:23 pm 

rproulx86 wrote:

In my opinion, I think all players care about there gloves- be they pitchers-catchers-infielders-outfielders-although I agree that Nike gloves seem to be used by mostly pitchers. Perhaps they feel the Nike glove is the best, for pitchers. Rawlings,Mizuno and Wilson certainly offer the same deals to major league players as Nike. You also could be right that Nike targets pitchers for their gloves as pitchers are the most visible players on any tv broadcast. Perhaps this is what they call great marketing of your product

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:36 pm 

bosox7 wrote:

As a pitcher I feel that I need to respond to that. While I do 100% agree to you that pitchers to provide a lot more opportunity for brand recognition, I feel that (especially on a glove collector forum) it is a huge fallacy to say that pitchers don't care as much about their gloves as position players (I know the response of MLB players get free gloves and I will contest it as well). I personally keep my pitching gloves in a separate bag alone, just to keep them in ever better shape than my fielding gloves. The glove is the last chance you have to "reset" your grip before sending the ball. I have three "gamers" that I use regularly because certain days I like the feel over the others. You will never see a speck of dirt that I havent tried to take off on any of them. I know I may be a minority, but all nine positions take care of their gloves how they want to. It is completely independent of what position they are playing. I know I pay for my gloves and MLB players do not, but again, the glove is the pitchers last chance to salvage a botched grips. And believe me, when you are 60' 6" from the bat, you want to have a glove you can get to the ball quick (I will not say that is an argument that pitchers care more about their gloves). Again, I agree that it is more common for pitchers to have Nike gloves, but that is not because they don't care as much. (Think Jon Lester and his LiveStrong glove)

First off all, you contradict yourself by stating that pitchers (and yourself) care just as much about gloves as position players, then continuing on with "I know I may be a minority."
Secondly, a pitcher could "reset" the ball without wearing a glove. It is hard to imagine a pitcher who's glove hardly has to do anything but hide a ball or knock it down caring as much about a glove as a position player who has to make full speed catches, only to remove the ball almost immediately to throw.

I don't have any actual polling data on this topic, but just using basic reason I would infer that pitchers (in general) are less particular about their gloves. Anecdotally, it also seems that pitchers (again, on average) switch gloves more than most position players.