WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: thirdbase24 Carpenter Trade Detailed Review
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:36 pm 

Hey folks,

After long last and much deliberation, I finally ordered a Carpenter glove. Here are some comments. I hope they are helpful. Sorry its over 3 posts. The site was complaining that my post was too long.

More pictures here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/katich24/ ... 246255526/

Specs:
RHT
12"
Single Post
Dark Grey Embroidery
Normal Fit
Firmness = Stiff
Extra Comments: Apparently I have a short pinky. My measurement was too small for the drop down menu. Scott immediately verified that it was noted.

Other Specs:
weight = 492.31 grams = 17.366 oz = 1.085 lbs
average of my other gloves ranges from 20oz 24oz, so about 1/4 lb lighter than average

Out of the box:
The first thing is the appearance. Its quite a pretty glove for how plain they are. I'm sure the idea has occurred to Scott that somewhere down the line he could offer custom colors. But I imagine that might be cost prohibitive right now, given how small of a production this is. But regardless, it looks good. What is it missing? Obviously, the wonderful smell of Horween haha. Lets be honest…which of us doesn't open up a Horween glove and smell it within the first few seconds? This of course doesn't have that. But once you step between the lines, i don't think many conversations start up with "Hey, how does that glove smell?"

Construction:
Flawless. Not a single stitch out of place.

Stiffness:
I chose the stiff option, and its STIFF. Impressively so. Much stiffer than i expected it to be, given that it is a synthetic glove…pleasantly surprised. I know there are stabilizers in it, and I don't know what they are made of or how they are placed inside. I'm sure thats proprietary to Scott, and I'm not about to open it up to check it out. I'm really pleased that I can't feel the stabilizers when I put my hand in, unlike some reinforced gloves. Interestingly, it offers good protection to the palm. Not sure how, but I'm sure thats on purpose.

Feel on the hand:
The first time you put it on you know something special is going on. And it better be so, because that's kind of one of the main selling points of the glove (aside from the weight reduction). But it lives up to the hype. Where as most gloves you just put on your hand, this is almost of like an attachment that you connect to your hand. i insert my hand, it slides to where it belongs, and is held in place effortlessly. you know that one leather glove you own that has molded perfectly to your hand after a couple years of use? That's the feel of a Carpenter, except an even better fit, and right out of the box.
(continue to next post)

Last edited by thirdbase24 on Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: thirdbase24 Carpenter Trade Detailed Review
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:37 pm 

Material:
There are 4 different *obvious* materials (maybe I'm missing some). Lining, laces, ‘felt’ feeling part and smooth feeling part. I don't know what to call them other than that. I have no idea what the materials are, other than 'synthetic'. One of my concerns before buying this was whether or not there would be a difference in 'friction', for lack of a better word, between this material and the ball versus leather and a ball. There might be a slight one, but not noticeable. You won't have balls slipping and sliding all over.

How will it hold up to sweat and water?
I asked Scott directly about this. First of all, the materials have a water resistant treatment, so it should hold up in rain. So I tried putting some water on it - see picture below. Water beads up nicely as if its on Gore-tex or something. I just wiped the water off and immediately there was no evidence this there had been water there. Impressive again. As far as sweat goes…most of us think of Carpenter Trade as very new, as in the last few years. But he's been making gloves for nearly 15 years. And he tells me he's never seen or heard of an issue with the lining. I have no reason to doubt his word, so I'll believe him. Time will tell also.

True to size?: As far as i can tell, yes, but i don't have a soft tape measure. I ordered a 12", and I measure 12" +/- 1/8" with my crappy tape measure. So I'm guessing its 12". Its close enough that its going to play true to size.

Experience ordering: I talked to Scott directly and he verified all of my ordering options. I don't know if this is something he always does, but what a nice touch. He asked things like if I would be using it for baseball / softball and how I usually break in my gloves (as in, thumb to what when it closes). He also sent pictures of the build process upon request (see my flickr gallery). Incredibly fast for a custom. I’m sure he can’t do this for everyone…i got a little lucky with timing I think. But still… Ordered Dec 28th, Received Jan 14th.

Break in and long term use: Unknown. I've only heard good things. But for now, all I can say is its really good at couch catch haha.

Last edited by thirdbase24 on Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:38 pm 

Is it worth the money? Seems like it will be…my initial impression is yes. So why did it take me so long to buy one? Well, because its expensive, and its a commitment. i.e. poor re-sale value. I don’t plan on selling it. BUT…we all know how it is. How many gloves have rotated through your ownership over the past several years? When I buy a glove, I almost always consider, “If i get bored of this or don’t like it, how much of my money can i recoup?” This glove is made specifically for my hand, so its very special to me. But if someone else puts it on, it doesn’t have that same specialness. So when you put up $500, you are making a long term commitment with that money. All of that being said, I totally get the price. This is one guy that communicates with you directly, then personally sits there and makes a glove to the exact freaking specifications of your hand. So there is a lot of skill, and a lot of labor. But does that translate to good value per dollar? Still unknown, but my gut says yes. But only you can decide that for sure, based on how much you have to spend and what you are looking for. I've had this glove for 3 days now, and I like it more every time I put it on.

Should you get one? Hopefully this helps you decide. My opinion? If you can afford one, get one.

I'll try to update once I get it broken in and try it on the field.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:11 pm 

I also wanted to mention how the lining feels on the hand, but can't edit anymore. Its very comfortable. Its a matter of opinion as to whether it feels better or worse than leather. One thing that definitely stands out is that you don't have thumb and pinky loops, so in that regard its more comfortable that an off-the-shelf glove of any material.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:37 pm 

EDIT ON THE WEIGHT:

the scale I used to measure some of my gloves was from my lab. Its in grams. Its not meant to weigh gloves, so it overloaded on several of them. So 5 of the gloves I weighed in the past ended up overloading the scale. Which means the average weight of my gloves is probably a lot higher than 22-23oz in the review. The Carpenter is noticeably light when you put it on.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:27 pm 

Can I say it?

I told you so.

I got my first Carpenter Glove (also a 12 inch single post) in 2010, and at a steal as the going price then was $280!!! I got my 2nd OF version a couple of years ago, and I am totally happy with the Ebay auction win of $400 on that one. Worth every penny.

I'm glad that Carpenter gloves are available for direct order - and I have yet to see a person unhappy with one. Can't wait to pull the trigger on a catchers mitt.

Enjoy, and rest assured that you will never regret your purchase.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:26 am 

How's this coming along? I'd love to see some input from people who have put their glove through at least a season's worth of gaming and lugging to and from the ballpark. (Need to see/read how they hold up.)

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:54 am 

I've had my 12" Carpenter since 2010, and it holds up exceptionally well. Formed and still sturdy, with very little signs of wear. I used it every time I played 3B and Pitched.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:06 pm 

What are those laces made out of? Looks like 550 cord.