WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: 2014 models?
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:01 pm 

Hey Scott,

I keep reloading your 'order here' webpage in hopes of an update on design changes ' pricing for the 'lighter and better 2014 models'. Is there anything you can tell us yet, or do I just have to wait anxiously? thanks!

Post subject: Re: 2014 models?
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:36 pm 

Oh man - I can't wait to get started. We are forming a new partnership to grow the business and we'll be getting new materials in. I'm trying to keep quiet until everything gets finalized. Expect to see the website updated in November. I will also post an update here on the forum when we are ready.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:28 pm 

I have been watching as well. I know your site lists a 13" pattern, but all of them look strictly baseball. Any thoughts on a glove with a slightly largerd/deeper pocket (12" softball size)?

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:28 pm 

I can't wait to hear - I'm hoping for good news on the pricing - I've really wanted to get one for a while now, but the ebay prices were getting too high for my bank account!

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:47 pm 

Rous - we don't have a softball specific model yet, but some of our gloves are suitable depending on your preference. We have a relatively new outfield model at 12.75" that has a deeper pocket and two in the pinky grip. Also, I make adjustments to my patterns when players tell me that they will be using their glove for softball. Gabe's review here: http://glove-works.getforum.org/the-birth-of-my-carpenter-of-glove-t11669.html

thirdbase24 - I hear you. Our goal is to get to direct ordering at lower prices. We just don't know if we can ramp up production enough to do direct ordering just yet. We may return to eBay sales for a period if we have to. There is simply a lot more demand than we can supply. People like this option better than being told that there is no way to buy a glove (like now). Also, it allows me to do a lot more unique custom features than if I focused on lower prices at higher volume.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:35 pm 

Gabe's glove looks great. I'll be paying attention. Thanks.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:56 am 

Scott, I'm definitely intrigued to see what is coming. I've seen the reviews, read the testimonials and am impressed with the way you do business.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:02 am 

Rous wrote:
Gabe's glove looks great. I'll be paying attention. Thanks.

It is amazing - really. I can't stress enough how much I love my Carpenter gloves.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:28 pm 

We will be rolling out a lot of new changes over the next several months. Yesterday we made some updates to our website and we started our first eBay glove auction in the last 6 months. The eBay auctions may gradually increase from about one every three weeks to one every week. Eventually we hope to do direct orders through our website at a future date once we can increase our production rate enough without sacrificing our quality.

I’m really excited to see through all our expansion plans and grow this labor of (g)love of mine. I’ve had many opportunities over the years to “sell-out” and I’m proud to have remained independent and to have grown this brand according to my original vision unlike any other. The same uniqueness that my gloves are known for is also reflected in my business. What other glove brand would go an entire year without selling gloves for money but only accept trades for them? I did that in 2011 and it was great! Ever since then I’ve always accepted trade offers because it can be a great way to exchange labors of love with other craftspeople.

What other glove brand does no advertising or marketing but primarily grows by word of mouth? If you’ve followed the glove market over the years you’ve seen many new brands come and go. They almost always follow a similar path: they find a factory (usually in Asia) that has a low minimum order requirement; they ask that factory if they can have some “unique” feature (thicker laces, unconventional lining material, near-fingerless pocket, super-special leather, etc. etc.); then they slap on their logo and spend as much of their budget as possible on marketing. These brands pride themselves on the gloves that “they make.” But they have no clue how to make a glove. They aren’t makers; they are marketers. There is nothing truly innovative about their gloves that will ever become a part of the evolution of the baseball glove story. I moved to Cooperstown twelve years ago specifically to study the evolution of the glove, I have made many hundreds of unique custom gloves from start to finish, and I’ve never spent money on marketing. Now when you go to see the evolution of the glove exhibit at the Baseball Hall of Fame’s Education Department you will see my glove representing the latest most advanced stage.

I’m proud to be doing things unlike any other brand. We will gradually get to higher production rates and lower prices. The current auction prices are set by the free market. I’m only in control of the trades that I still accept for no money. I like to think that the auction prices over the last two years are still very reasonable for everything that we deliver relative to other brands.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:04 pm 

Glad to hear the good news!

F