WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM
http://glove-works.getforum.org/

Wilson Customs Poll
http://glove-works.getforum.org/wilson-customs-poll-t8112.html
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Glove-Works [ Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:42 am ]
Post subject:  Wilson Customs Poll

I expected the new Wilson custom program to be a bit more active.

What factors are preventing you from ordering?

Author:  Ball-deep [ Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Wilson Customs Poll

Definitely price as i suspected everyone would agree. Really, $330 for color choice and your name on the glove is steep. Plus shipping and handling...
If they were pro issue gloves..then i would agree with the price tag.

Author:  glovefeen95 [ Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Wilson Customs Poll

Ball-deep wrote:
Definitely price as i suspected everyone would agree. Really, $330 for color choice and your name on the glove is steep. Plus shipping and handling...
If they were pro issue gloves..then i would agree with the price tag.


Same thoughts here. When you add tax, it comes out to $353 and change. That kind of cash for a Wilson custom that you can only change colors or a Mizuno PL custom that offers more pattern options (as in, mixing and matching webs with patters)? PL everyday that ends with "y."

Author:  mattingly [ Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Wilson Customs Poll

For the same money you can get a custom PL, with your choice of pattern, web, and color... no brainer.

Author:  bigsexyvic [ Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Wilson Customs Poll

glovefeen95 wrote:
Ball-deep wrote:
Definitely price as i suspected everyone would agree. Really, $330 for color choice and your name on the glove is steep. Plus shipping and handling...
If they were pro issue gloves..then i would agree with the price tag.


Same thoughts here. When you add tax, it comes out to $353 and change. That kind of cash for a Wilson custom that you can only change colors or a Mizuno PL custom that offers more pattern options (as in, mixing and matching webs with patters)? PL everyday that ends with "y."



I totally agree with these thoughts. IMO there's no incentive to pay that much for a Wilson when you can get a SLCS HOH from Eastbay for 299.99 plus shipping. I'm sure the quality of the Wilson Vietnam leather doesn't compare to an SLCS HOH too. If Wilson were to drop their prices to compete with the SLCS customs, then I'm sure more people would try them.

Author:  duane v [ Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Wilson Customs Poll

Even forking out $300 for a SLCS is concerning becuase you only get certain patterns and leather type..... No way would I pay $300 plus for a glove that's not made in the states

I'm Sorry Wilson, but until you move some portion of your glove manufacturing back to the USA, my wallet stays shut

Author:  JoeBraga [ Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Wilson Customs Poll

duane v wrote:
I'm Sorry Wilson, but until you move some portion of your glove manufacturing back to the USA, my wallet stays shut


Is this for leather/quality reasons or rather a preference to buy American made products?

Author:  duane v [ Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Wilson Customs Poll

I'm really not familiar with the newer Wilson gloves, so I really cant comment on the quality. However Wilson doesn't even have a Made In USA option, and I just can support that, especially when there are USA glove makers that make quality products for the same price

Author:  rproulx86 [ Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Wilson Customs Poll

As a hypothetical, let's say that the two kinds of Rawlings gloves (USA & Philippines) were switched. Meaning the bowl-shaped Eastbay customs were made in the Philippines, and the rest were made in Missouri. Would you still prefer the American gloves over the Philippines? Is it the type of glove that you like or the location where it's made?

For me, I don't care at all where a glove is made, but I prefer Philippines Rawlings over USA because I would rather have a mostly-machine-made glove compared to a hand-made one. Plus, you can choose whatever model and leather you want and you have more choices of webs and colors.

Author:  mattingly [ Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Wilson Customs Poll

IMO, the only current gloves made in a non-outsourced country that are markedly better than the outsourced versions (in terms or leather quality/stiffness, and craftsmanship), are gloves currently made in Japan.

Author:  Glove-Works [ Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Wilson Customs Poll

mattingly wrote:
IMO, the only current gloves made in a non-outsourced country that are markedly better than the outsourced versions (in terms or leather quality/stiffness, and craftsmanship), are gloves currently made in Japan.


Completely agree with this statement.

When you are talking 300-400 (does it really matter?) for s custom glove the Mizuno PL seems to be the best option....considering leather, options and overall quality.

Only Woodz offers more options and 30%+ lower cost.

You'll never see Wilson make a glove in the US again.......unless they decide to outsource.

I believe US manufacture will be limited to the likes of Nokona and Glovesmith within the next 3-5 years. I'd be surprised to see the few remaining to last another 2 years.

Author:  goldy the gopher [ Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Wilson Customs Poll

For that price, I need a custom web option.

Author:  Glove-Works [ Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Wilson Customs Poll

Wonder how many Customs Wilson has actually sold since the program was launched?

Author:  Fritz [ Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Wilson Customs Poll

Other than color options there is no real difference with the production gloves; same leather, same patterns, same labor. That isn't custom at any price.

Fritz

Author:  flashem [ Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Wilson Customs Poll

For what it's worth, I most likely would purchase a custom A2K for $350 shipped (whatever they go for), but that price is way too steep for an A2000.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/