WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Suggestions for catchers mitt
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:56 am 

My 4 year old Louisville Omaha Pro is worn out. Liked it, but would like something sturdier, as I am now coaching older boys who throw in excess of 70 MPH. I tend to go Rawlings rather than Wilson, so my defeat choice is a HOH of some sort ( the Matt Weiters mitt looks good). I'm also tempted by the All Star, though it's pretty expensive. If it lasts a long time I don't mind the extra cost... Kind of hoping this is my last mitt (in my mid 50's). I do like the Velcro strap on the All Star.

I know that this is a pretty open ended question, but any comments? Should I go for a $200 HOH, $275 PP, a $300 All Star, or ? I'm looking for feel and durability. The Louisville had a great feel, but went to mush too soon .

Post subject: Re: Suggestions for catchers mitt
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:48 am 

If you like the All-Star, I'd go that route. Both catchers on my team own them and i haven't heard any complaints from them, or anyone on this board.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:57 am 

I tend to hate all star mitts they are overrated in my opinion much like Marucci gloves. Allstar has decent pattern with leather that is only slightly better than Rawlings gold glove IMO. They are very expensive. I've caught for years and my favorite was a Rawlings mesh back. So I would go with a HoH. However I have reviewed a smaller company that does customs called 9 positions. The quality is shocking on there pro select line and the price is only 179 custom. Even though I am a Rawlings guy I think the pro select line tops a hoh. I would look into them and check out my review on YouTube.
P.S I am not affiliated with 9 positions in any way just like the mitts.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:15 pm 
Gold Glover

nrocket wrote:
I tend to hate all star mitts they are overrated in my opinion much like Marucci gloves. Allstar has decent pattern with leather that is only slightly better than Rawlings gold glove IMO. They are very expensive. I've caught for years and my favorite was a Rawlings mesh back. So I would go with a HoH. However I have reviewed a smaller company that does customs called 9 positions. The quality is shocking on there pro select line and the price is only 179 custom. Even though I am a Rawlings guy I think the pro select line tops a hoh. I would look into them and check out my review on YouTube.

Finally someone who isn't drinking the all star glove cool aid. Love there system seven gear but the Rawlings wieters and posey models are a far better value.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:30 pm 

Poseys burgandy and mesh pattern is amazing the mesh is light and hard and the leather is great.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:15 pm 

I'm a Wilson guy myself but I've seen a lot of mitts come through our High School program in the last 9 years. The mitts that have held up the best have been the Louisville Silver Slugger. The pattern isn't my favorite but if you're not using it competitively, it shouldn't matter much.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:14 pm 

I've tried most of the major brands and my favorite by far is the HOH PROSCM41B. Best part of it is the Horween lining. If you can't find it, the Posey, Wieters and Yadi's (same pattern, but mesh back, DTC lining and Poron XRD pad) models are nice, too.

All Star makes a nice mitt, but I don't think it's worth the price.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:47 pm 

Got my hands on a Weiters and am breaking it in now. Doesn't seem that big for a 34" glove. Hard to tell how I'm going to tell how I 'm going to like it, but it certainly will protect my hand better than the Louisville.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:34 am 

Still breaking it in. The late spring here in MN has slowed down the amount I've been able to use it, but still have it on my hand every day. Super stiff still, but I think I'm going to like this glove a lot.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:08 am 

I have a brand new Louisville Slugger Pro Flare Silver Slugger catchers mitt if you're interested. Tag still on it. Pretty affordable to. My son can't use it as its too big for him. Let me know if you'd like a price/pics.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:15 am 

If you're looking for a smaller mitt I'd go with a A2000/A2k Pudge (32.5) or the rawlings HOH 32.5 mesh back. If you're looking for a bigger mitt I'd go with The Posey, Weiters, or Molina model (all HOH's and 34")

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:46 pm 

yankees23 wrote:
nrocket wrote:

Finally someone who isn't drinking the all star glove cool aid. Love there system seven gear but the Rawlings wieters and posey models are a far better value.

Was involved in a conversation with some current/former catchers recently, and the Rawlings/All-Star thing came up. The consensus was that the All-Star mitts were a little softer with an easier break in (especially compared to the Horween HOH's), but in turn that means that they tend to not last as long and are more prone to web blowouts. It was also the consensus that it would pretty much be a coin toss for which you preferred and went with, if not for the additional $100 list price of the All-Star.
The one thing that All-Star really excels in IMO, is their youth and intermediate mitts. They are really great quality mitts and priced very well, especially when you consider that the Wilson A1K (which is a nice quality smaller hand size/intermediate mitt) sells for $180-$200 (a big Wilson 'fail', in terms of product and pricing).

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:18 pm 

mattingly wrote:
Was involved in a conversation with some current/former catchers recently, and the Rawlings/All-Star thing came up. The consensus was that the All-Star mitts were a little softer with an easier break in (especially compared to the Horween HOH's), but in turn that means that they tend to not last as long and are more prone to web blowouts...

Excellent point. It really depends on what you prefer. The sturdier leather on Rawlings mitts holds up extremely well, with a nice, rugged feel to it. On the other hand, the All Star will have that softer feel that some people prefer, but won't stay stiff for long. I recently compared my HOH (around 250 games) with a friend's All Star (75-100 games), and mine is holding up better. The All Star was starting to get soft and the web was already flimsy. Nice leather on both, though.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:39 pm 

Weiters is still pretty stiff, even though it has seen a fair amount of use. Huge difference between it and my SLCS infield glove in terms of break in and feel. The SLCS Feels luxurious and soft, and broke in really fast, while the Weiters feels kind of clunky and indestructible, sort of like an old Chevy Impala.

Night and day difference between it and the Louisville TPX mitt. The Rawlings mitt takes a long time to break in!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:23 am 

I just picked up a Wilson MN25, it seems to be a pretty close rip off of the All-Star pattern for Napoli but with Wilson leathers. I have an All-Star but I just cant justify the price for it, its a really nice glove but not worth anywhere near what they charge for them. The MN25 has the superskin back and is really light and only set me back about $140 at homerunmonkey. I started breaking it in a couple of weeks ago with a mallet and a ball and played catch with it a couple of days ago and I'd confidently catch with it in a game tomorrow. My All-Star took way longer to break in and they tend to get all floppy too