WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Thirdbase24's Gloves
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:55 pm 

I figured I might as well have a thread here.

Pretty much all gloves that I currently own or have owned in the past couple years can be seen at my flickr account:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/katich24/sets/

Post subject: Re: Thirdbase24's Gloves
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:46 pm 

that horween (lined) TB is a beast!

and of course the 12tc brings back tears :cry:

http://usa-baseballgloves.webs.com/

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:34 am 

Mr. TB24

Could you be so kind to give me a brief review on your Akadema 102 Patriot Series glove. I just acquired one, and I wanted to get your feelings on the over-all feel. I've owned the Akadema Reptilian model before, and despite the glove having limited padding for the palm, it was a great glove

Thanks

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:13 pm 

Well, I just consulted my glove spread sheet (I'm not the only nerd with one of these, am i?)

Looks like I bought it in June 2011 for $83 and sold it (in a package deal, and broke even) very shortly afterwards. My reason for selling in the spreadsheet says "boring". I just wasn't all that impressed with it. Don't get me wrong, it was an OK glove, though I thought the leather was average. I remember at first comparing it to my J-leather, but after some time with it, I take that back. I like the J-leather better. I started trying to break it in to use at SS for softball, but it just wouldn't form at all for me. Not because it was too stiff...it was weird - it just stayed the same shape, no matter what I tried. I also expected a little nicer lining for a $200+ glove (retail). Feel free to disagree, but I don't see $200 there...nice that it's made in USA ("from imported parts" - that still gets me...), but so are Brown Gloves for the same price, and I think they are much better.

Its still a nice LOOKING glove, IMO...but I got rid of it for reasons of functionality.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:23 pm 

Hey folks,

here are some pics of my Nike DE Pro 11.75". Just arrived today - I splurged for the 2 day shipping since the actual glove was so freakin' cheap.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/katich24/s ... 251496977/

I'll just make a couple of remarks now on my first impression:
1. Leather is beautiful. I've never been a Kip person, so it isn't my favorite leather, but its very nice. VERY stiff.
2. Construction seems very sound. I found one minor odd thing - need a picture to explain. Otherwise, very well put together.
3. Huge. Though I've always used smaller gloves (eg. PRO200's at 3B), so I feel like I could use this in the OF. I don't have a soft tape measure, but I don't believe that its only 11.75".
4. Pinky seems oddly large to me. Also, there are very obvious "stays" in the thumb and pinky. Never been a fan of that.
5. Yes, it is definitely difficult to get your hand in at first. My hands aren't huge, and it was difficult. Seems like working with end of a mallet should fix it up quickly though. But in all honesty - to use a common phrase - I would not say that this glove "feels good on the hand" out of the box.
6. At the moment, it seems like it very badly wants to break in thumb to index finger, which I don't like. I tried to force it closed thumb-to-ring finger with my hand in it and i feel like i almost broke my pinky finger. Its too early to make any firm statements, but my guess is that its going to take some work to get it to close the way I want it to.
7. Glove bag and mallet are both amazing quality, though i still have no idea what the hiz-ell I'm supposed to do with a glove bag.

Overall, very nice. I mean, I got it for $99, so I'm thrilled. For the time being, I'll say that I don't think I would ever spend $300 on it, let alone $400. But its early. I'm REALLY anxious to see pictures of one of these once someone breaks one in.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:48 pm 

TB24

just recieved the glove, and it sure is a stiff sucker.... One thing I did notice is the inner palm lining is different from your ex-akadema (see image)

I think I'm really gonna like this glove

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:59 pm 

interesting - that does look better than what i had. i wonder if the shell feels the same or not? no way to know i guess. hopefully you got the new and improved version!

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:14 pm 

This Nike Diamond Elite is starting to grow on me. I've been working on breaking it in pretty much non stop since I got it 5 days ago. The finger stalls are finally comfortable, most importantly the pinky, which actually hurt a lot before. I also widened the wrist opening, just by loosening the lace...too bad there are no other holes, but this works. I'm working on getting it to close so that the thumb goes between the middle and ring finger. Still some work, but with any high quality leather, thats expected. I do still wish the shell was a solid color...all black or all camel, with the "accents" being the opposite. Also, FYI, this *appears* to be exactly the same size as my Morton's PRO12TCB.

Overall, I'm pretty sure this is going to turn into a really good gamer. Maybe I'll have to force myself to try a little bigger glove in the IF this year. I'm still not sure if its worth $300 (to me), but I can confidently say at this point that if you can get it at $200 for the glove, mallet and bag, I think its a great deal. A lot of people that got the $99 deal are trying to flip them for a quick $50 or $75 profit - I say get over the fact that they are making money on you and take advantage of the nice price. You know, if you didn't already buy 3 of them... :ugeek:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:40 am 

Where were this 99 bucks ? Dam good price

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:56 am 

3B24,

GREAT review of the Nike DE Pros.

I have been useing my Black Halliday model daily (approx 3 weeks) and this thing is SWEET on the hand. A perfect sized Pitchers glove. (I like a nice flare (end to end) on my Pitching glove. (To hide the split finger grip lol.....).

Mike

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:56 am 

Nice NOS Glovesmith. What do you think?

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:41 am 

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:26 pm 

Updated. Same link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/katich24/sets/

Just a note: only 10 of these gloves are still in my possession. But I always snap some pics before I get rid of one.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:57 pm 

A couple are missing... Other than that, color me green :mrgreen: You have good taste. How's the Andrus?

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:23 pm 

Rous wrote:
A couple are missing... Other than that, color me green :mrgreen: You have good taste. How's the Andrus?

The Andrus is nice. unfortunately, might be too small for me nowadays. But very nice leather. I still not a big fan of super skin, but its not bad either.