WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Swing difference
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:23 pm 

I'm not a big guy, and in baseball I was either leadoff or #2 hitter so a lot of my job was working counts and moving ppl over. Trying to bring in runs only really when ppl were on with 2 outs looking for somthing to drive. My question is, anyone else having a problem with hitting a softball rather than a baseball? Instead of swing 75-80% ( most of the time) like in baseball and using the pitchers power, providing all the power in softball? I find my head moving everywhere trying to mash the crap out of this giant yellow ball and majority of the time I can hit a laser, but also have had inconsistency, foul tipping or popping up. Granted it's a lighter bat, but I've had some issues cause it's so damn tempting to swing 110% at the balls coming in a 5mph that mechanics and swing plane get off.

Post subject: Re: Swing difference
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:55 pm 

If you have a short, compact, quick, baseball swing, you'll need to slow your swing and get more arm extension. And wait, wait, wait! It may take several seasons to get it down. Try a heavier bat, too. If you're popping up a lot, you're getting around too quickly, and hitting the bottom of the ball. A heavier bat will slow your swing down. I hit to the opposite field a lot, and occasionally snap my wrists too fast and pop it up or foul it out of play. I'm getting the bat around faster than I want when that happens, causing me to hit the bottom of the ball instead of the middle. Also remember to swing level. Don't try to match the arc of the pitch with your swing.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:08 pm 

The softball swing to me is almost the opposite of the baseball swing. In baseball you want the quick compact swing but in softball you almost want a slow bat sweep type swing. The few times I get into trouble is when I get an inside pitch that's perfect to drill down the line and I get overly excited and either pull it 10 feet foul or hit it on the ground with my old baseball swing. Patience, patience, patience....

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:12 pm 

From reading these comments I assume you are playing slowpitch - not fastpitch softball.

In Fastpitch the swing is kind of similar to baseball but the ball is coming in quicker( shorter distance with same velocity). Some of these guys even pitch faster than the baseball pitchers.
The fastpitch swing requires quick hands, about a 10 degree up swing and take your hands to the ball with the barrel down similar to baseball.
unless you have 2 strikes and need to move the runner, then you have to shorten your stride, choke up a bit and hit the ball down angle a bit and get it in play hard on the ground.

We could go on for days on this. Thats why we love it.

Probably not telling you guys anything you don't already know....

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:39 pm 

Mason4208 wrote:
I'm not a big guy, and in baseball I was either leadoff or #2 hitter so a lot of my job was working counts and moving ppl over.

I am not a big guy either, I played baseball in high school, then transitioned to fast pitch softball in my early twenties, now I am a fat old guy playing my second year of slow pitch. I had the same problems, being patient waiting for the ball to come to me, popping out, hitting foul balls, and weak grounders. I watched numerous vids on youboob, I finally figured out my swing (to my ability) and started killing the ball late last year. I became a straight pull hitter, usually hitting the ball through the hole or over the third baseman's head. I try not to hit it up the middle because it's a rec league, usually the old guy is pitching and the best players are at short, third and left field.

This isn't the holy grail of hitting vids, but this is the kind of stuff I watched and it helped me. I did spend some time at the batting cage, probably 250-300 swings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lt0c7P1H6w

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:36 pm 

like said above. youtube, you will figure yourself out. always hit it hard, concentrate on the middle of the ball, one i like is called , " hands back " go to youtube, search, softball hitting. CARTER LAKE SHARK

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:41 pm 

just watched video linked above. my video popped up at the end. " hands back with upper body wind "