WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Rawlings SG Premium Softball glove identification help...
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:49 pm 

Hey there, new to the forums this is my first post. I have a softball glove that i can't seem to find any/much information on. It's a Rawlings "SG" 79 and i have looked on the internet and have come up with no hits for this specific glove. I'm looking to sell it and buy a glove i've had my eye on for awhile but would like to know more about it first. Some pictures are attached to give you a look at the markings but from what i gathered it was made (i think) in the 80's and i've had it for over 12 years but thats about it. I found several other SG series gloves but as i said nothing for this particular model. Any help would be appreciated i'm looking to get money for my new glove but don't want to mislead anyone when selling this one online. Thanks in advance...

http://i53.tinypic.com/xpq3yr.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/n1v1qd.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/211kqde.jpg

Post subject: Re: Rawlings SG Premium Softball glove identification help...
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:54 pm 

I have catalogs from '94 and '95 from a couple of wholesale suppliers. They have listings for the SG96, SG76, and SG78, but none for the SG79. The main difference looks to be the web, although the SG96 is listed as 13.5", while the others are 13. Yours closely resembles the SG96, but yours has the "spin stopper" perforations and the 96 does not. All the catalogs show is the view of the pockets, and the back of one of the gloves - no side views, so I can't compare lettering. They also had "Padlock" wrist straps, not the traditional style like yours. All were made of "premium Japanese leather". Based on some of the wording stamped on yours, the "spin stopper" and lack of the Padlock wrist, my guess is the SG79 is probably an early version of these models.
This probably doesn't help you much to describe your glove as a seller, but maybe there is something here that helps.

Post subject: Re: Rawlings SG Premium Softball glove identification help...
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:28 pm 

(The following information derived from Joe Phillip's "Vintage Baseball Catalog Source Book")

Rawlings first introduced the "Premium Series" of softball specific gloves in 1983, selling three models numbered the Premium I, II and III.

The following year (1984) these gloves began carrying the familiar "SG" model numbers. This series was sold well up into the 1990's. In the mid-80's, this series would carry as many as nine distinct models each year.

The SG79 appears to have been sold for only one year- 1986. It was described in the catalogs as a "dual post model".

These were decent gloves, with a retail prices in between the Rawlings top-of-the line gloves and their mid-priced offerings. They do have their fans and followers. I get a couple in my shop for repairs every year and have had people contact me looking for particular models.