WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Glovesmith Owner's Thread
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:03 pm 

For general discussion about and showing off Glovesmith gloves.

Show us yours!

To get around site constraints, upload to photobucket and then use [img]photolocation[/img]

Here are mine:

1175USA in dark tan DuraTan (Horween) leather.
1200USA in black DuraTan (Horween) leather.

Post subject: Re: Glovesmith Owner's Thread
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:08 pm 

I have been debating between the 1225 and the 1250 patterns for my new softball glove (hope to get it broken in by summer of 2014). Bart sent me pics of the two patterns side by side.

Bart says the 1250 is the same as the 1200, but with longer fingers and the 1225 is similar in shape to the 1175, just scaled up a bit.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:54 pm 

Here is my 12.5" pattern Custom USA made TANK!! 2 year break in process, and it is now ready for game use. When the ball hits this glove it just STICKS to this leather. Never seen anything like it. I don't care how fast that ball is spinning either. When it hits this leather it stops on a dime.
I had the normal padding put into this glove, but I did have them put in some extra palm padding/protection.
I love the smell of this glove, even 2 years later.
Top quality glove that seems to not get the love that it should...

2 YEARS later:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:05 pm 

I orderered my son a Custom USA (Horween-Wheat) as a Christmas gift. It was delivered in October and I was so impressed that I decided to order myself a Custom Select (Wheat). My select was delivered a few days after Christmas.
My son's Custom USA is 11.75 and it has an oil-tanned inner lining (black). I ordered it with the "moderate" break in and I am certain that it will be game ready in the spring since he has been beating the glove routinely since Christmas day.
My Select model is 12.25" and the leather is definatley not as nice as the USA model. Although I am not disapointed with the Select, I now wish that I had spent the extra $$ and bought myself a USA model. The leather difference between the two gloves is significant. Even the laces are better.
My son and I compared my Select to a Wilson 2000 in a local Shop and we agreed that the leather quality is very similar. The USA leather was better than anything we saw in the store that day (including HOH models).

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:00 pm 

Nice gloves. They look pretty similar in size. Because I have been debating the 1225 and I have a 1175, how would you compare the two. Is the 1225 longer? wider? deeper pocket? Given the last two posts, I am thinking the 1250 might be the better option. Then again, I am not sure if the 1225 Select and the 1225 USA are the same patterns.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:04 pm 

I bought the 12.25 Select to use as a utility glove:
I can use it to play baseball with my son and hopefully play some "D" during his Team's BP sessions.
I can also use it to play some Slo-pitch for many years to come

The large ball fits fine in the 12.25 for infield, but it's small for outfield. The Select pocket is definitely deeper and perhaps a little wider. The fingers are a little longer but the extra 1/2" in size is mostly due to the deeper pocket. The only finger that is much longer is the baby finger. I'm also thinking that the dual post web will stretch over time and hold the ball even better as the glove gets worked in.
However, if I were to buy another for Slo-pitch only, I would definitely get the 12.5. Regardless, I'll see if I can find a large ball and grab a few more pics for ya.

One additional comment I have is regarding the "tan" laces on the 12.25:
There are two different tan laces that were used for my glove. One style (wide and thin) has a tan front and light tan back (nice). The other lace (narrow and thick) has a tan front and a mustard yellow coloured back (ugly). I must admit that I was disappointed with the mustard yellow colour since it doesn't look good at all with the glove's colour. This is mostly noticeable on the top/back of the fingers.
I know the mustard yellow will eventually disappear and/or darken with use, but I would be grateful if anybody could offer a suggestion to darken or easily stain it without making a mess on the glove itself.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:32 pm 

Pics with a ball would be great. Thanks. I agree that the pocket/web will open up as you break the glove in.

As for the laces, forget dying them, relacing the glove is your best bet. For $16 you can get a complete set of laces and a 6" needle (I assume you have a pair of needle nosed pliers and scissors). I relaced my son's glove in red and it took about 2 1/2 hours because I unlaced and relaced one hole at a time and double checked everything. All in all, it is easier than you think.

Or I bet you can find someone in the Cleveland (or wherever you live) area to do it or Wake, Gabby, Dirty30 or one of the other guys on the board who do this work.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:09 am 

Great thread and I hope it continues to grow. I'm happy to see pics and info on a Select and the side by side with a USA. I'm hoping others will chime in with their Custom Elites, especially if they can compare to first hand experiences with a USA custom.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:50 pm 

Here are my 2 USA customs, a 1275 full trap in wheat, and a 1300 mod trap in Dark t

And a 12.75" USA Diamond Elite

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:48 pm 

Here's my son's two, a 1175 and 1st base mitt. It took a season to break in the first one, the second is still pretty stiff.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:25 am 

Nice leather all around, thanks for adding to the collection guys. Man, I love BG's dark tan 1300USA.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:18 pm 

Here are mine;

back left is a 12.75", right is a 12.5" (justballgloves.com SMU)

front is a 12.25"

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:10 am 

Nice and dusty. The best look for gloves.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:43 pm 

Rous wrote:
Nice and dusty. The best look for gloves.

most of that is actually the Horween "powder"

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:51 pm 

Happy Birthday son!!

LOVE the welting...