WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: New to forum, getting back into gloves
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:52 am 

I played ball all through school, and now the kids are starting to play. Dug up my old Louisville TPS from my parents, so I could practice with the kids, and throw the ball around. Found myself quickly getting obsessive, and bought 4 more gloves. Starting to feel like a sickness :?

Post subject: Re: New to forum, getting back into gloves
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:27 pm 

Sadly the only prescription is. Horween.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:21 pm 

In addition to my Louisville, I have-
Rawlings VBB12. Don't know much about it, never seen one before, and can't find much online. It only has 4 fingers
Rawlings HoH PRODJ2
Mizuno GMVP1201P
Rawlings Gold Glove Series PRO-15G. Another one I cant find much on. I thought the PRO prefix was for HoH and Pro Preferred series.
Nike Keystone series KDR 1253

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:11 pm 

The Older Gold Glove Series is equivalent to todays HoH. and they used to have the PRO in their model number which is their standard line of Gloves. The OLD HoH is equivalent to todays Pro Preferred. Today's Gold Gloves are either the lower grade (Gammer or the XLE series) or the High End GGC series.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:10 am 

DatDuke wrote:
The Older Gold Glove Series is equivalent to todays HoH. and they used to have the PRO in their model number which is their standard line of Gloves. The OLD HoH is equivalent to todays Pro Preferred. Today's Gold Gloves are either the lower grade (Gammer or the XLE series) or the High End GGC series.

theoretically, the lodgic makes sense in that I get what you are going to imply... but that kind of a blanket statment to someone just getting into it could be rather mis-leading as learther types etc are different and wont be a direct comparison. If taken just from a quality standpoint, then I see where you are going but when taken literally (which, in this case a newbie might) its not a fair or accurate comparison for anything other than how the quality has evolved :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:00 pm 

bigmac25 wrote:
DatDuke wrote:

theoretically, the lodgic makes sense in that I get what you are going to imply... but that kind of a blanket statment to someone just getting into it could be rather mis-leading as learther types etc are different and wont be a direct comparison. If taken just from a quality standpoint, then I see where you are going but when taken literally (which, in this case a newbie might) its not a fair or accurate comparison for anything other than how the quality has evolved :)

Thats just my experience (also limited) with today's Gold Glove series. I have yet found a GG series that the leather quality is up to par for High School level and beyond. The Pattern are the same, so I can only comment on the leather quality. We need people like yourself to add to my rather basic logic. Quality for GG has not evolved but rather it has limited to Non-PRO quality, fit for (Middle school and High School) level. But of course, if you are a stud, you can pretty much use a "Mark of a PRO" to snatch fly balls. I am straightly commenting on how long a "MODERN" GG can last with daily grinding. The GOLD GLOVE GAMER series (Currently) have lesser grade and thinner leather for easy break in, compare with today's HoH and PP.

Oh and my previous Horween statement was merely a joke pointing to his sickness. Sorry if that wasn't obvious.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:17 am 

DatDuke wrote:
bigmac25 wrote:
DatDuke wrote:

Thats just my experience (also limited) with today's Gold Glove series. I have yet found a GG series that the leather quality is up to par for High School level and beyond. The Pattern are the same, so I can only comment on the leather quality. We need people like yourself to add to my rather basic logic. Quality for GG has not evolved but rather it has limited to Non-PRO quality, fit for (Middle school and High School) level. But of course, if you are a stud, you can pretty much use a "Mark of a PRO" to snatch fly balls. I am straightly commenting on how long a "MODERN" GG can last with daily grinding. The GOLD GLOVE GAMER series (Currently) have lesser grade and thinner leather for easy break in, compare with today's HoH and PP.

Oh and my previous Horween statement was merely a joke pointing to his sickness. Sorry if that wasn't obvious.

No need to apologize bud!
I think it was more just saying xx is equal to xx of yesteryear.
Are you talking quality?
Leather type?
Size/fit?
I read that and thought well gee... if you are comparing a old HOH to a PP from today and this dude buys a PP expecting to get a HOH like the old days - he will clearly be disappointed and set up for a WTF moment.
Its also not apples to apples due to all the different leather choices now.
As you know, then it was 01/14/and maybe a few other random leathers here and there. Now you've got a ton of different options and feels.
Quality wise, IMO gold golves of yesteryear were quite nice and even some with the 'pro' in the model were on par with HOH of the era. Not all the time, but the GGE/Gamer line is also going for something totally different than the old GG.
They WANT it of be softer, easier, and prettier to attract kiddos and although its not crap - I think those elements are the most important. This is clearly the case as you dont get a brick hoh anymore that will last forever and take half its life to break in lol.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:17 am 

Way too much elaboration on a comment you were just making off the cuff and half joking about... but as you didnt specify what exactly your comparison was in relation to I only said something so the guy does not order a PP online and have him expect a nice stiff horween but end up with a softer albeit stiff kip :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:04 am 

Good Point. I merely mentioned the hierarchy of the Rawlings line (today vs yester-years). But IMHO, I will get a HoH (newer) if you plan on playing beyond Middle School/travel ball. There is no need to get Horween. To me, its just fun to break in a glove to your liking and slaved over it (I am just crave for punishment I guess). But I understand thats not for everyone. If you want game readies, look for a lightly used HoH or PP Preown. I dont play competitive ball anymore, now I only manage equipment for my son's tourney team. So my preference might not apply to most people here. I use my glove everyday when practice with my son, so it takes much more abuse than many normal gamers out there.

I do wonder if mrgr8ness is reading our replies, or he move on to something else all together.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:30 am 

@ mrgr8ness.. My son started playing baseball this year and loves to play catch. I pulled out my 25 year old rawlings and it worked just fine laces need replacing. On a whim I got a rawlings player perfered first base mitt for a great bargain because it was a few models old and faded felt great from all the hands trying it on for two years.
Then for no reason I needed an outfielder glove Mizuno mvp prime 12,75 it fit perfectly... Like it was made for me
I said to myself Wilson? Naw why would any one buy a Wilson? I saw the A2K datdude had to have it... Now I do. Great glove and so far I just breaking it in on the couch... Loving every minute of it.... Hi I'm Trevor and I'm a gloveaholic

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:40 am 

I have read a theory on the leather that the cows are fed hormone to get them big fast but the skin of the cow doesn't catch up before it is slaughtered leaving us with thinner leather.. One other thought.. I had my rawlings for 25years and I played daily for hours for 6 straight years and it's in great condition. .. If anyone here knows composit o hockey sticks the four hundred dollar sticks break very easy compared to the seventy dollar stick that will last a long time.. I'm told because if an NHL player is jammed up the guts with a stick will break causing less injury.
Kinda like a rawlings glove for $200 may last as long and work as well as the $500 glove.