WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Hello. My Name is Ant and I am a Gloveaholic. Need some help
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:53 pm 

Hi, Just found out this forum from other Gloveaholics. My Name is Ant. Just got into Glove collections last year when my son start playing Travel Ball. Learn a lot from his Teammates, Youngsters and from doing researches when time to purchase my son's gloves. He is a Lefty and 14 years old. I am a Righty. that means I have to purchase a set for him and leave me with no glove when we practice. Like most people, I started my search at my local baseball stores and was shock how expensive some of these gloves are. I am not Rich, therefore; I started to hunt down an acceptable gloves to purchase at a barging price via Ebay, Flea Markets, Yard Sales etc. Make the long story short I found my first Glove, A Rawlings 12.75 GG limited Black and White H Web. (Cant remember the model number GG .... BW) for $20 in nice condition. later I found out there are better gloves out there, I was hooked since. Now I purchase a few gloves here and there; sold a few, traded a few.. I now have a decent 30+ Gloves collection. Mainly Wilson A2ks, A2000, A3000, A1K, Rawlings-PP, HoH, RDTs, and a few Pro Issues. Nike, Marucci, Mizuno Pro Limited, Easton EPro. The addiction is so deep, I even collect Franklin Professions Series Gloves.
And now I am focusing on collecting USA Rawlings (Horween or Gutmann) single post. Hopefully, I can find a few to purchase or trade here.. What I am saying thru my hunt, I met a few nice Gloveaholics like myself as we started a little trading group always seeking hard to find Leather Gems.
Enough about myself, let me show you a few of my Grail Pieces..

Post subject: Re: Hello. My Name is Ant and I am a Gloveaholic. Need some
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:47 am 

I wish you luck!
Fun hobby huh?
You can meet some great guys here though, who are super helpful and knowledgeable.
It seems you've picked a focus that is both quite difficult are expensive sadly.
As i'm sure you know, any decent shape usa is going to be expensive (basket webs withstanding).
Insult to injury is the single post seem to be some of the most in demand usa's at that.
In the normal channels, they dont pop up often so if you do PIAS or and thrift store/ flea markets etc- that may be your best bet.
I too picked that for whatever reason ( I think because I was/am a Ripken fan) and its been few and far between and more $ than I wanted to spend.
I've had help from a couple guys and although my single post collection has gotten to be more expansive that just the 90's ones, thus far I've only come across a 93 6hf, 98 6hfd and 98 6xtc. I love em and was lucky to aquire them- but its very much a right place right time type of thing. That seems to be true for most USAs. I'd bet 90% of the guys here that are into Rawlings love them a good USA!!! If you happen to see one on the auction site with a low BIN from someone who just doesn't know you're golden.. but for the most part its expensive!!! then comes the decision.. to shelf or use? lol
Good luck on your hunt!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:38 am 

Thanks for the reply BigMac. I would love to see your collection. The only USA glove I have now is a Gutmann LHT first base Mitt. (For sale right now on EBAY for $199) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rawlings-HoH-Heart-of-the-Hide-First-Base-Gutmann-Leather-Made-in-the-USA-LHT-/111877233942?. I had A Horween before but stupid enough, I traded that for a Pro Preferred. Just picked up a PROS200-9JT yesterday. it reminds me alot of the RTD Horween I used to own. I was questioning what leather it was made of. I know they started making them oversea (Philippine) in early 2K. But mine felt like a US made. in the glove it says US COWHIDE. But regardless, it is a recent find. Good Luck hunting!

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:01 pm 

Hello! Yes collecting gloves is a fun hobby. Keep an eye out on my website! I sell some very nice gloves on there. Some are pro issues, others very nice pro preferred's. Take a look at my last post for the link.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:53 pm 

Haha. I found my first glove at my mums attic. Do you still have your first?

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:39 am 

DatDuke:

In my opinion, you are the best new member of this forum that we have seen in a long time.

I enjoy your posts, and welcome you to the forum.

This forum was founded by glove lovers and collectors.

We all have reasons why we collect.

I have a decent collection of NOS USA HOHs, and some USA a2000s.
I also have some 1950s Wilsons that are really cool.

My gamers are mostly Glovesmiths, but I do use a Rolin mitt for 1B.

I lost count of the number of gloves that I own, but I think I am finally under 100 after selling a few last year.

Enjoy the forum and do not be shy about asking questions.

JC

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:13 am 

Thx JC. I think I love gloves more than some people. And that saids a lot. There are not too many things I can learn from Wilson as their pattern don't change that often after they retired their most technological advanced line - the A3000 which I'm lucky enough to own one. Most of the time they just customize their in house model. Tweak it here and there and call it something with the player initials in the model name. I guess this is next gen of glove collecting. All the kids want their PI Wilson but essentially there is no technical advantage other than maybe better leather over the retail model. With Wilson custom page now available. I don't know why people still collect those PI. I was one of those collector before as you can see by my handle.. until I found the vintage 90s USA HoH more interesting. For ones not every Tom Dick and Harry has one or wanted one cause they never had the pleasure to break in a Horween and second. They are just so hard to obtain. But my passion now is still with RTDs and Gloves that have meanings or histories like my Grail Giles<posted in other forums, if you have yet check it out. Please take a peek.>. Shameless self promotion alert! Looking forward to meet new gloveaholics and suck the knowledge out of their cranium. Lol j/k. I have much to learn. I just can't imagine what this place was like 10 years ago.