WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: I think I need to be sold on buying a Nokona
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:55 pm 

Hello,
It's been several years since I've bought any gloves so recently I purchased a couple. First, a Rawlings PRO 6XBC from Don Mortons which is very, very nice. I love it. I also finally bought my first non Rawlings glove, a Wilson A2000 1883 model first base mitt which I'm not quite as enamored with. It looks great and feels great on my hand, but the leather is dissapointing. I can't quite describe it, but the leather is thin and kind of flimsy feeling. Are all modern A2000s like this? So that brings me to Nokona. They make a first base mitt in the same style as the Wilson I own, specifically the W-1250 walnut and the exact same model in the Legend Pro series but in all sandstone. Both of these gloves look great, but I wonder if anyone has any experience with either of them. In about 2007 I was looking at some Nokona gloves and they seemed clunky feeling. Based on the info I've read here, Nokona was going thru bad times then and have improved quite a bit. But would either of these mitts be an upgrade over my Wilson?

Post subject: Re: I think I need to be sold on buying a Nokona
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:15 pm 

If you're used to the Horween tan leather on your PRO6XBC, all other leathers are going to feel thin. That's pretty much the thickest, heaviest leather used in baseball gloves. Best thing I can tell you to do is go to your local sporting goods store and get your hands on modern production HOH's and A2000's and compare for yourself. I don't think you would be disappointed in a new model of either.

My first high end glove was a Nokonoa and I ended up not really liking it and returned it. It was beautiful to look at but I just didn't like the way it felt after it started breaking in. It started getting floppy in all the wrong places and I didn't think much of its long term quality. Things may have changed since then, I'm not even sure if they're still using that Walnut Crunch leather or not. It sure was a pretty glove to look at though.

Post subject: Re: I think I need to be sold on buying a Nokona
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:37 am 

David wrote:
If you're used to the Horween tan leather on your PRO6XBC, all other leathers are going to feel thin. That's pretty much the thickest, heaviest leather used in baseball gloves. Best thing I can tell you to do is go to your local sporting goods store and get your hands on modern production HOH's and A2000's and compare for yourself. I don't think you would be disappointed in a new model of either.

My first high end glove was a Nokonoa and I ended up not really liking it and returned it. It was beautiful to look at but I just didn't like the way it felt after it started breaking in. It started getting floppy in all the wrong places and I didn't think much of its long term quality. Things may have changed since then, I'm not even sure if they're still using that Walnut Crunch leather or not. It sure was a pretty glove to look at though.

Thanks for the reply David,

I've narrowed my search down to the Nokona W-1250FB which looks really nice, and A Rawlings PROFM20GB all tan HOH. I'm leaning towards the Rawlings as it is a tan HOH version of my PROSTX23...my favorite first basemans mitt to date.
I haven't seen any Nokonas in my local Dicks to try out so I'm left with the poor impression made by the Nokonas I saw back in about 2007. Much too large in the hand stall (are they designing for Sachsquaches or Yetis? I don't have a small hand) and a general clunky feeling. For the record I believe the gloves I tried at the time were a few different Walnut models, at least they looked like that type of leather.