WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: USA HOH Gloves
Unread postPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:32 am 

Hi

This may be sacrilege, but even though the leather is terrific, I don't like the USA gloves.

To clarify, I am referring to the outfielder models, which are the only ones I've owned - PRO-HF, etc. I just bought a tan one and disappointed once again.

The pockets are not as deep or defined as the more contemporary HOH models. I feel like the newer gloves are better formed/shaped for outfield play. The PRO302/303 get it right.

Is this just a design evolution based on player feedback, technology, etc., or is there some other reason why the older gloves are shallower ?

thank you

Post subject: Re: USA HOH Gloves
Unread postPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:24 pm 

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote. The attraction of a USA Rawlings to me is the challenge to overcome the oddities that come with it - uneven tight fingers, wide heel - and make it useable. Heavy ball, mallet shaping, and catch can get one there, but it definitely takes more time than a modern Rawlings. A PRO-HF is baseball only as well - not deep enough for a softball.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:16 am 

Good points.
I just can't get on board with the US HOH collectors.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:44 am 

I think it has to do with a few different things. First and foremost, it has a LOT to do with nostalgia. Maybe its the glove you used growing up. Maybe its the glove your old man had. Maybe your childhood hero used one. Maybe you wanted one when you were young and couldnt afford it... what ever the case, this is a big part of the draw.
Secondly, the leather...

Its just second to none. The smell, the look.. its a job to break them in, but once you do- you know itll last with proper care. They feel great when they are new and just have a classic look to them.
Another thing is the purpose. For example, I'm into the USA gloves but generally I look for the last couple years before they went over seas. I also quite like the 1st couple years they were made abroad. IMO, these are the best made gloves with the highest quality materials BUT still have some relevance in the patterns design and isnt as antiquated as something from the late 80's early 90s.

Some patterns it just doesnt matter, they are not going to appeal to younger people. Even though a 1000h from the late 90s is going to be very serviceable, since it has been retooled and the fingers are going to be thicker, beefier heel, and now has a much moire sleeker design thats also more uniform- younger people OR people not used to them, will not like the play. That just the evolution of the glove and the same as the 70's gloves dont hold a candle to the 90's ones.
For a kid who has never used a 6hf to pick one up, put his finger through the fast back and have any other reaction besides "WTF is this"?, is just unrealistic.

Even a pattern like the cmhc thats gone 40 years without any major changes to the pattern is different from the 90s to 2000s to now. My 90s one is pretty much void of support. 2000s are much thicker but still have the same shape/feel. New custom one is just totally a sleeker streamlined. modernized and updated version.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:58 am 

So, the whole USA thing at this point is probably more about collecting purposes than gaming. I use my USA ones for catch and have broken out the 6hfs for 3rd BUT when push comes to shove and the game gets serious- I'm going to go for my favorite pattern but with the most modern version. Even if its for no other reason than its almost a disadvantage to go with a antiquated version.

Now, the SLCS versions are different because its a USA glove that although is using the old dyes, have kept up with modern glove tech/trends until their demise.
Some are good, some are not... but the good ones are as good as any modern Phili IMO.

Lastly, even though USA gloves are coveted for their horween- there have been horween options which should make USA heads happy with modern play. My 2 gloves of choice to game are the cmhcb2 and rv23. BOTH of which have horween options. Sure, its not the same horween but I still would choose it over jap tan. This is a good combo of new and old and kind of bring us full circle to if the current horween options arent good enough then it is prob more of nostalgia thing.

People get that feeling about different things. I dont like the vintage era gloves from before they took their current shape BUT for the older generations that collect them because thats what they grew up with.... i get it. To each their own, and as ive said many times before one of the cool things about this particular hobby is there is literally something for everyone. Find something you like and go with it!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:09 pm 

I think I misspoke.

I am not disparaging the collecting part of this. I totally get collecting. And there is no issue with the quality of those gloves. Top-notch.

My real gripe (?) or curiosity is as to the evolution of the outfielder gloves - the earlier gloves even at 12.5" and 12.75" had shallow pockets compared to the contemporary ones, which are nice and deep and incredibly useful for outfield play.

Is this just better design in construction, or something else ?

Unread postPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:36 am 

I think thats what I was speaking to in regard to the evolution of the glove.
It can be compared to cars is a sense. A nice car from the 90s looks dated now. Maybe the parts were more quality back then, but the same model thats a 2016 will be modern looking and use modern tech.
I know thats kinda common sense, but the play is prob the same in that at the time- that 90s car was using the modern tech at that time. Since, things have gotten beefier and streamlined.
The patterns that have stuck are now beefier, streamlined, and constructed accordingly. I cant speak to the pro-t, but know exactly how it is with the 1000h. BUT just by sticking a 90s pro T next to a current one, the older ones are just straight while the newer ones look to have a bit of a curve around the fast back. These little tweaks probably make the glove feel and play pretty different. If youve always used a 90s version and continued to seek them out dead stock, a new version thats thicker would prob feel weird. I think its just the pattern evolution, what you are used to, and your preference.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:12 pm 

:o :shock: :roll:

Centerfield wrote:
Hi

This may be sacrilege, but even though the leather is terrific, I don't like the USA gloves.

To clarify, I am referring to the outfielder models, which are the only ones I've owned - PRO-HF, etc. I just bought a tan one and disappointed once again.

The pockets are not as deep or defined as the more contemporary HOH models. I feel like the newer gloves are better formed/shaped for outfield play. The PRO302/303 get it right.

Is this just a design evolution based on player feedback, technology, etc., or is there some other reason why the older gloves are shallower ?

thank you