WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: another 6hf thread... yay!!!
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:30 am 

So, over the last year I've bought and sold a BUNCH of gloves. At 1st it was just for use. Then, it got to owning more than i'd ever use. I eventually decided that there were 3 patterns that I really like. cmhc, 6hf, rv23. Because of this, i've essentially kinda changed my collection to the one of those I'd use and then I'll actually try shelving some of the autod ones. Now that i've got multiple 6hfs for example, theres no need to break another in.
On to my question. Does anyone have a rhyme or reason why little changes were made from year to year? Just in looking at the details of the glove, it seems things were changed and then changed back. The 93 was a Ripken Auto one I broke in. Horween, but a lighter shade. Very wide heal, and no sherling (sp? the white fuzzy stuff). The 6HFD (3 dots) is much darker, and i assume horween. At least it feels like it anyway.... it does have the white fuzz, and is a BIT shorter heel width wise and has 10 grommets. The Arod is 5 dots, but is a bit wider in the heel again, back to no fuzz, and only has 9 grommets. Odd that these small things just keep changing so much. Grommet #'s, Color of the horween, white fuzz or lack there of, heel width (squared, or angled and the grommet pattern along) ... Its like it got modernized and then went back to a bit more bulkier version but then changed again. Thats the example, but do you think it was just essentially when Bob or whoever decided to make that years, or that batch rather it was just whatever worked? or were these changes actually a conscious thing that was actually done for a reason? I've also included a pic of a boardies 6hf that is oil tanned ( please forgive me for forgetting whos it was, i just ;loved the look of it and saved the pics) that is different as well in both color and heel. I've also seen some ARODS that are 5 dot that use a thicker single post rather than the one shown here. That may have been on one of the early batches of the phily ones. I'm sure this has happened in the evolution of any pattern thats been made for a period of time, but this is the only one I can show the small changes. No right or wrong answers, just curious if these changes were considered a functional change, a modernization, or just happened for no other reason than thats how they were made. Thanks!

Last edited by bigmac25 on Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: another 6hf thread... yay!!!
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:32 am 

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:46 am 

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:47 am 

Hah. Big Mac.. I have the same question with my PRO-1000 collection. All are from different year, different tanneries, but the shape, and design stays pretty consistent. They all have deer tanned Cowhide, they all have the same palm writings, only the HCD has the Rawlings embroidery at Thumb. All have fur underneath the Wrist Strap. As in your case, since your model is not as generic as the PRO1000s, or the PRO200s I believe they are more customize-able so pro's & consumer's feedback had a lot to do with the design change. The Color difference of mine is easily explained due to the different tanneries. - Datduke

PRO-1000H (01 Horween Dark Brown Walnut. Darken with conditioner).

PRO-1000HC (14 Gutmann Orange Like an untreated Horween)

PRO-1000HCD (3 Dots Tannery unknown, I suspect Tennessee. Blonde)

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:34 pm 

Nice 1000h's!
I just think its odd how the little details change in different years.
Some things are unintentional, but things like the number of grommits and the the cut of the heel seem intentional.
Even the positioning of the grommits is different.
To see it go back and forth, as well as such different leather colors is kinda neat but some things arent so random.
no fuzz, fuzz, no fuzz? just odd
This would have been a great answer for Bob to provide.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:54 pm 

One of these days, i hope to find a pros6hf. Id love to chexk that out. Im guessing its similar in make to the dm remake? Was this a dm ex as well?
Thanks!

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:19 pm 

Why would you want to throw kip into this legendary model? HoH Horween Only. :twisted: Save the Kip for the PROS12icbr.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:40 am 

DatDuke wrote:
Why would you want to throw kip into this legendary model? HoH Horween Only. :twisted: Save the Kip for the PROS12icbr.

just for something different and a version i dont have.
i didnt figure this would get much of a response b/c really, who knows.
Just thought maybe one of the old timers asked bob back in the day or someone had noticed something similar w/their fav pattern..

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:29 am 

I hear ya Mac.. I would love to see how your fav. model evolved to PP incarnation As much as I love my old classic Rawlings, I just cant game with them. especially with the condition of my PRO1000Hs they are very delicate, they are mainly couch gloves when I am watching a ball game. I found missing the thumb and pinky stays makes fielding ground balls or catching wild throws difficult. I guess gloves evolve for a reason. I will game with my PROS, or even a Wilson before I reach for my PRO1000H Now playing catch is fine with them. depending on who you are playing catch with..

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:17 pm 

Top 4 Fastback models (in no particular order) PRO-6HF, PRO-2XTF, PRO-SBT and PRO-T. I'd own them all :)