WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: sssssssooooooooooooo.......
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:42 am 

WHATS UP?!?!?
Theres an echo around here!
Everyone getting ready for their season to start? getting this years gamers ready?
Anyone break in a new gamer they are excited to use?
Anyone have anything they use thats over say.... 10 yrs old? old faithful???
Anyone find anything cool lately? ebay find, thrift store find, sports store find??
Any new models anyone is jacked for? Arendo seemed like it made a few more waves than the normal GGC release.
How about those older usa HOH? not many decent ones have even been listed on ebay.
I wish I saw the landscape you guys got to experience a few years ago before the blow up where there might have been more of a variety with out crazy prices.
Random thought.... There were a TON of SLCS sold through eastbay Id guess.
In the couple years ive been into it - oddly I dont recall seeing more than 6 or 7 ever land up on ebay.
I wonder if they were hoarded, used and then killed, or it just hasnt been long enough for more to show up.

Hope everyone is doing well, and good luck in your upcoming season!!!

Random thoughts?? Leave em below!!

Post subject: Re: sssssssooooooooooooo.......
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:53 am 

Yes, let's get more discussion going on here!!

File this one under "random thoughts." I get these kind of annoying offers all the time on Instagram. These offers are usually kids trying to get a free glove. Here's their pitch:

Hi! We are a start up company that is focused on reviews and baseball business promotions, and will give you honest feedback, contact us if you want us to review and promote your product.
We would also push ur product in our area. We are well known baseball players in our area.
It would be a favorable review

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:30 pm 

I retired my old gamer this season. It was Orlando Merced's gamer sometime in the late 90's to early 00's. It's a made in Japan Mizuno MZ 84. The below pic is after spending considerable time cleaning it up and removing the pine tar from the heel.

I relaced it and gave it a few more years of life (the laces were pretty shot when I got it).

It's served me well but it's a really rare glove and I decided to let it retire and live the shelf life. I replaced it with this one, which I absolutely love, and I'm in the process of getting it broken in for this season.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:24 am 

Carpenter wrote:
Yes, let's get more discussion going on here!!

File this one under "random thoughts." I get these kind of annoying offers all the time on Instagram. These offers are usually kids trying to get a free glove. Here's their pitch:

Hi! We are a start up company that is focused on reviews and baseball business promotions, and will give you honest feedback, contact us if you want us to review and promote your product.
We would also push ur product in our area. We are well known baseball players in our area.
It would be a favorable review

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA THAT is great!!!
I will say, a mutual friend IMO did very good 'IG' marketing with his getting his new gloves into some of our hands and although it was an awesome gift, I think it very much helped raise awareness for that brand and served as an excellent way to market online. He didnt necessarily send em to the biggest accounts, but he sent them where he knew theyd get an honest shake and would be appreciated and as a result it might have helped making a name for the new series. You looked like you were going to make him a happy man (which he deserves) with one of your pics from last week.

Im sure there are a few companies that do that - but there are very few people big enough where it would actually make a dent and serve a purpose.
Id be embarrassed a such a poor attempt at a free glove... ESPECIALLY when your company already has a few great ambassadors out there :)
Your company seems to be well beyond that.... and also, how many times do you ever see a Ferrari commercial? It seems if you are high end and people know it - that stuff seems to take care of itsself

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:29 am 

David wrote:
I retired my old gamer this season. It was Orlando Merced's gamer sometime in the late 90's to early 00's. It's a made in Japan Mizuno MZ 84. The below pic is after spending considerable time cleaning it up and removing the pine tar from the heel.

I relaced it and gave it a few more years of life (the laces were pretty shot when I got it).

It's served me well but it's a really rare glove and I decided to let it retire and live the shelf life. I replaced it with this one, which I absolutely love, and I'm in the process of getting it broken in for this season.

Thats a REALLY cool glove!!!
I remember watching Merced when I was a kid with the Buffalo Bisons.
I think later on he had a Starting Lineup with the Pirates too lol

VERY VERY COOL!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:50 am 

Random thought #1: I'm really tired of the IG mentality of buying a limited edition glove/mitt, raving about it for a day or two, and then trying to make a profit on it by selling it. Completely takes advantage of a specific store's rep. Now someone who genuinely had a use for that glove/mitt has to pay a premium when the low stock runs out. It's all within someone's right to do this, but it has no honor.

Random thought #2: Along the lines of honor, watch how some people on IG change their stripes when they interact with an adult account verses a younger account. One minute polite and courteous, the next cocky and boisterous.

These thoughts and feelings in addition to my son's travel ball schedule and the MLB season starting have pulled me away from IG recently. This forum and SBF seems to consistently be stocked with quality individuals whether new or veteran. When I have some down time, I prefer to frequent both.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:07 am 

Couple of replies to bigmacs post:

1. I've also wondered about the lack of SLCS glove on eBay. seems like there would at least be the occasional one, and I've seen maybe two since Bob retired. I know we love them here (for the most part), but I gotta think there are a ton just laying around from Eastbay buyers that they would part with. I'll certainly keep looking...

2. I'm currently breaking in the softball forum exclusive Wilson SP125. Really nice glove - will make a great softball infield glove. Its mostly relegated to warmups and couch time right now. Maybe once my second league starts, it will get some field time in my lower league.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:08 pm 

thirdbase24 wrote:
Couple of replies to bigmacs post:

1. I've also wondered about the lack of SLCS glove on eBay. seems like there would at least be the occasional one, and I've seen maybe two since Bob retired. I know we love them here (for the most part), but I gotta think there are a ton just laying around from Eastbay buyers that they would part with. I'll certainly keep looking...

2. I'm currently breaking in the softball forum exclusive Wilson SP125. Really nice glove - will make a great softball infield glove. Its mostly relegated to warmups and couch time right now. Maybe once my second league starts, it will get some field time in my lower league.

Weird right? There is the one from a few months ago that was a camel single post that looked terrible and went for just under $200 I think.
I'd imagine you guys have seen the pics on IG. Man... the refurb looks great and it looks like a totally different glove! I guess you only spend that on a glove you know you can work magic with- but that was very well done.

I know of a 1000h steal from maybe 6 months ago. Went for around $150 and didnt last 5 min.

There was that really soft tan one that had some weird wrinkles in it that had a name on it and was a basket web. Its since been web swapped and looks great.

The liquidation company had that weird kids one that was really small that kept getting passed around (sometimes without the knowledge only half your hand would fit in it) that went for around $150 during its time on the bay.

Another infield trap that was well past its prime that was camel with red laces I think a boardie grabbed for around $100 just to add a slcs to the collection.

There was that funky orange and black 1b mitt that was new that went for under $200 last winter.

Also, a few have popped from the board famous LHT collection that went for under $200

The 1st one i ever saw was a 1125 black singlepost. I REALLY wanted one and was prepared to go $350 bc it was brand new and although small, I had to check it out. I think it was a boardies (former?) glove with purple stitching. Nice stiff black but the best part was the hand stall... felt like soft black horween memory foam!! I was the only bidder @ $199. When I posted a pic people said they forgot, didnt see it, or didnt bother to bid bc they figured itd go super high.
Regardless, it was an awesome glove. I regret parting with it, but a kiddo is using it now and I couldnt bc of the size. Luckily for me, allen was kid enough to give me the opportunity for one of his SPT SLCS so at least I have my little piece of SLCS ( THAT one will never leave me lol)

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:08 pm 

Point being, in 2 plus years I've been paying attn, thats all ive seen on the bay.
I bought the blue horween one from WAKE (very early on and I didnt realize what I had qlty wise and sold it to get a mcgwire) and a buddy bought a 1b mitt from John and side from allen or matt opening the vaults to part w/something at some point... thats all I've seen avbl. I think there was a tan PRO T somewhere along in there too... but that might have been IG.

Regardless, I'd think our 'club' is a tiny slice of the glove buying public (even still) and I have to assume Bob was kept pretty busy.... and even if you glove hoarders like sitting on your little pile :) Theres still gotta be a BUNCH out there. Maybe its still too soon?

Once in a while Ill take a stroll through sold gloves on the bay to see what I missed BUT that comes with the cost of getting pissed or sad about what was missed or sniped with a quick BIN lol. Its great when the deals go to good people you know though. Sure it sucked missing oput on the auto Nomar pro issue NG5 last week for $50 but it went to a good home!

Im glad you guys like the Wilson you made. Cool to see more SB choices out there rather than having to like a 1000h or RV23 (ill say it here too, its the "3b mitt")

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:23 pm 

Wally Gator wrote:
Random thought #1: I'm really tired of the IG mentality of buying a limited edition glove/mitt, raving about it for a day or two, and then trying to make a profit on it by selling it. Completely takes advantage of a specific store's rep. Now someone who genuinely had a use for that glove/mitt has to pay a premium when the low stock runs out. It's all within someone's right to do this, but it has no honor.

Random thought #2: Along the lines of honor, watch how some people on IG change their stripes when they interact with an adult account verses a younger account. One minute polite and courteous, the next cocky and boisterous.

These thoughts and feelings in addition to my son's travel ball schedule and the MLB season starting have pulled me away from IG recently. This forum and SBF seems to consistently be stocked with quality individuals whether new or veteran. When I have some down time, I prefer to frequent both.

I've had some changing feelings about IG as of late and have reservations about expressing them as I wouldnt want them misconstrued.
First and foremost - I think the 'trend' portion of it is starting to die down. Maybe the kids who were into it 2 yrs ago grew up and moved on or just dont have the time any more. Maybe its now there is so little pro dept exclusive options the fact anyone can essentially build what they want with patterns and colored labels the specialness to collections have faded. The 'community' aspect has dissipated IMO. I also think maybe the competitive aspect got a little overblown. I LOVE LOVE LOVE seeing awesome collections. I HATE some of the attitudes that accompany some of those collections (all ill say in regard to that) but I know my interest has waned slightly due to nothing really getting me super excited and the above reasons. I usta check IG a few times a day on my phone. Now i can go a couple days. I've been lucky and met a few GREAT individuals who Im happy to call actual friends but any one I chat with has advanced to text msgs so maybe thats why I'll go on less.

This sounds silly and maybe was due to discovering this hobby but my god... this seems like it was a crazy cool hobby that was a good mix of old and new gloves with mystery that needed research as little as 5 yrs ago. Now... it just seems different. I do feel like the fad aspect of it might be on the decline though...

I dunno, this is very rabmley, but just a few 'random thoughts'

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:52 am 

question for you vets..
Have any of you given in to the temptation of selling some of your horde when the prices were/are crazy stupid?
Is that enough for you to part with them or in your eyes no way no how, youll have em forever bc of what they are?
Curious on your thoughts..
THIS IS NOT me trying to buy them lol. Im good.... just curious if the cult status and the crazy sale prices associated with it was too much temptation.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:22 pm 

I sold one of my SLCSs. But I had 5 originally, and one of them was feather lite leather, which I was never crazy about. And I didn't exactly make a huge profit. Got my money back plus a little. But it was enough to convince me to sell it - my other hobby is watches, and thats more expensive than gloves :D

As someone once said, "All gloves are for sale." I've resisted some crazy offers for a few things - but they've at least made me think.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:03 am 

your featherlite was quite the looker though.
To me, that was a glove that didnt really matter what leather was used. If its on a shelf, it just looks so cool that the look in its self is enough.
I wonder if leather will matter in the end with SLCS??
The aforementioned black one I had I played catch with and had it have been 12' i wlda gamed it.
When my SLCS SPT came in the mail, I couldnt resist. I had to put my hand in it. It was SUPER tight and a literal brick... but i messed with it. Not to the extent of breaking in the ripken auto 6hf, but I can now half close it. Ill play couch catch but I make sure the ball is brand new. I'll never take it outside or anything but I've got a few funny looks for even doing that.
I guess most of these 2nd generation SLCS owners just put em on shelfs, partly to preserve and partly as a result of how much they paid.
Ive wondered though.. The batch of SPTs that were made for you boardies that mine came from - do you think they were intended to be used?
I feel like if hes using the old stamps and using the old labels and even embroidering the fingers like wakes spx - they are prob just for display right?
If thats true, then I guess youd know its feather lite... but if its just sitting on a shelf anyway...

Speaking of SPTs, i wonder how much that one on ebay will go for??

Unread postPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:01 am 

I have a PRO-SPT from Bob with gold labels, brand new that I am going to sell soon. Not sure if it will go on eBay or I will sell it privately.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:03 pm 

towson80 wrote:
I have a PRO-SPT from Bob with gold labels, brand new that I am going to sell soon. Not sure if it will go on eBay or I will sell it privately.

Interesting!

Can you post some pictures??