WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rawlings Date/Pattern Coding (Blackhorse/Dot Code, etc)
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:23 am 

Thanks Gabby 8-)

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:58 pm 

Hey Duane - found it! Here is a link to the thread.....

http://glove-works.getforum.org/leather-code-18-t5935.html?hilit=gutman's

From the link, the "09" means it was contructed of leather from "Tennessee Tanning."

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:57 pm 

thanx again....

Interesting to know that Tennessee Tanning is owned by Rawlings, and why they wouldnt use leather from that facility for all gloves.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:28 am 

it tells me that the Tennessee leather is inferior(?) to the more costly Horween(?)

just my bias

http://usa-baseballgloves.webs.com/

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:19 pm 

If TT is owned by Rawlings, at what time did Rawlings (or Jarden) acquire TT? Probably after this run of gloves/mitts was manufactured.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:19 pm 
Site Administrator

Just read this for the first time and shocked to see nobody chimed in.

snt28 wrote:
My fault :? Can someone educate me :)

"Not a problem but I am not sure you know what BLEM means. It doesn't mean bleamished or second. BLEM is a code that Rawlings used to mark what and where the glove was made. The M means Missouri but I am not sure what the other letters mean. They had used this code on the first 2 years the glove was made but changed it because people thought it meant blemished. Feel free to contact Rawlings to verify this information. The number is 314-819-2800. Thank You for your interest and Have A Great Day."

http://www.glove-works.com
Your source for Professional Baseball Glove/Mitt relacing, restoration
and Glove sales.

"Home of "the Works"
"It's a whole nutha level"

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:37 pm 

I remember seeing this and thinking I should check Snopes for confirmation. I'd like to get the bottom of this though if anyone knows the truth.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:49 pm 

Just spoke to Bob at Rawlings, and he confirmed that BLEM means blemished, and all it means is that the color of the leather is not uniformed... He went on to tell me, that #14 is Gutman Leather (a new Rawlings acqusisiton of mine).

What a nice guy this Bob fellow (at Rawlings) is. He was telling me about my new / old PRO-12TC I just purchased, and asked me what I paid for it, and he literally started choking when I told him the condition and price. He told me those gloves go for $200 in average condition, and up to $400 in like new condition.... He basically stated I recieved a great deal, and not to give the BLEM stamp a second worry. :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:55 pm 

duane v wrote:
Just spoke to Bob at Rawlings, and he confirmed that BLEM means blemished, and all it means is that the color of the leather is not uniformed...

good to hear from Bob on the BLEM topic - i figured thats what it was, but read a few comments in other posts that it had nothing to do with blemishes. I'll take Bob's word for it :D And yeah, I new I could get an easy $300 if I went to ebay - you can thank spedrunr (another awesome guy to deal with) for giving me such a good deal in the first place. figured i'd pass it on.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:00 pm 

I've never spoke to a Rawlings Represenative beyond customer service. But this gentleman seem to have so much intellectual knowledge about gloves in general, and was so willing to talk about the subject matter. Usually when I've spoken to Customer Service personel, it's usually a canned response. However this person was really willing to help, and had answers in hand 8-)

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:34 pm 

This might be 1985(?)

duane v wrote:
I have a wing-tip XFCB-17 (USA), and the date code is KCE09, so I'll assume 1994..... So what you're saying is that the 09 suffix on my glove is no different than the leather type on gloves that have the 01 and 14 suffixes?

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:41 pm 

Really????

I thought they used DOTS in the 80's for dating

*EDIT*

I think you're right in stating it's an 85

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:01 am 

I know I have seen it elsewhere, but this thread should have the leather # codes:

01 - Horween
03 - P & V (Pfister-Vogul)
07 - Calnap
08 - Huch
09 - Tennessee Tanning
14 - Gutmann

From an old (2008) post on the Vintage Baseball Glove Forum where Bob answers a question about code HEB14: "On the old codes like yours the B is for a year ending in 1 the EH is o6 or June 01 is horween the 09 is Tenn. Tanning and the 14 is Guttman and still some american gloves made for eastbay every year. This year a completely new line take a look. Bob"

So that would make KCL 04/1985. So for some gloves, the three letter code has first letter/number indicating the last digit of the the year, and the next two are the month CER = Aug. 1994. However, for others, the LAST digit is the year and the first two are the month, everything in reverse order. So LEB could be Jan 1992 or Feb. 1991 and HEA could be March, 1986 or June, 1993? Really?

BTW, the dots are explained in the OP.
1998 ***
1999 ****
2000 *****
2001 *
2002 **

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:54 am 

Dots seem to be from late 60's(?) to 1983-84. they started the black horse code either 1/2 way through 1983 or 1984 (my memory fails me and i'm too lazy to search the posts)

The xpg6 mantles have dot codes and they were being produced up to 1971 or 72 and were replaced by the xpg-6 Tolan (I have 2-dot and 3-dot models) I also have 1-dot xpg-6 stargells and a reggie jackson (1976 manufacture?) for the 1977 catalog which i don't have.

gloveaffairs seems to think(and I tend to agree with him) that the non-endorsed xpg6's were perhaps pro-issue since they don't seem to show up in any catalogs after the xpg-6 has disappeared from the 1978 catalog.

The pro-H shows up in the 1978 catalog and I have several dot code pro-H's with the palm stamped and several pinky stamped blackhorse models that point toward 1983-84 as the beginning of the blackhorse codes.

In 1983 The pro-MG was the 1st revival of the TG12 except in black with a fastback and 12.75" Trap-Eze. It was called the Black Magic.

In 1984 it was called the HOH-80TF (the precursor for what is now known as the pro-T) all of the ones that I've seen use the blackhorse code at this point (1983 manf'd date) for the 1984 catalog(?)

I have a pro-T CEO01 that I bought in 1985, manufactured July 1984, Horween Sof-Tan'd lining

If you can even figure what all this means, I applaud you for not falling asleep through this.

Someone can call Bob and he will probably be able to clear this all up in 10 words or less :roll:

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:55 am 

Rous wrote:
01 - Horween
03 - P & V (Pfister-Vogul)
07 - Calnap
08 - Huch
09 - Tennessee Tanning
14 - Gutmann

Seems I've only seen pics or discussion of 01, 09 and 14 on this site. Does anyone have anything that is 03, 07 or 08? Pics?? Or any info on what the leather is like for these other tanneries...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next