WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Rawlings Custom Order Guide
Unread postPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:06 pm 

Since many newcomers to the board come asking for advice on Rawlings custom options and questions here is a pretty detailed overview of what you can get from where so we do not have dozens of the same posts.

Philippines Made Rawlings Custom Gloves in HOH and Pro Preferred:
Can Be Found At These Retailers:
Rawlings Gear.com
Ballgloves.com
BaseballExp.com
BaseballSavings.com
CustomGlove.com

**Any online store that offers custom glove options that is NOT Eastbay gets their gloves from the Philippines and has all of the same options as the main RawlingsGear.com website. However, some retailers, like ballgloves.com have fewer options listed because that is how their website is set up. If you call ballgloves.com or any of these other retailers, they can most likely give you ALL of the options noted on the official RawlingsGear website, since they use the same forms to send direct to Rawlings. Off all these Retailers, Ballgloves.com is the cheapest. These run 4-8 weeks on delivery

Philippines Leather Used on Custom Gloves:
The leather on these gloves varies by color.
For the black oiled and black dry: To the best of my knowledge are provided by Horween, but are not the same as the USA made black leather.
Non Traditional Colors: These are all "J" Japanese tanned HOH leather. If you see any funky colored pro shop glove it almost always has a "J" attached to it. The J leather is a little softer than the Horween.
Burgundy: The same HOH leather as the burgundy gloves. Not Horween. Not sure who makes it.
Tan: Rawlings has recently switched from using the oil stamped tan to a non oil stamped tan. I am not sure who provides this leather, but its firmness is between a pro shop tan Horween which is the same as the Ballgloves.com exclusive tan leather and the previous Oil Treated Tan.

What You'll See as the Model Number:
Rawlings no longer uses the custom model number stampings that start with "CG" on Custom Gloves made overseas. They now start with their appropriate pattern name's and then a "-" with the appropriate web coding. The web number codes can be found in the other Rawlings Guide. Custom gloves ordered through a retail store WILL NOT have a leather code attached like "K" or "J" or the new "I" leather. They just end in the number of the web.

USA Made Rawlings Custom Gloves
Can Be Found At This Retailer and this one ONLY:
Eastbay.com

** The Custom Eastbay USA HOH's retail for $300 and this program is overlooked by Rawlings Craftstman Bob Clevenhagen. If you google his name you can find out more about him and his history at Rawlings. These gloves have a different cut to them compared to the Philippines made gloves. If you owned a PRO1000HC from the 1990's era, you will know this more bowl shape as opposed to very straight fingers on the Philippines models. The USA shop DOES NOT have all of the patterns that the Philippines program does. The models that you see on the Eastbay website is what you get. For the most part, there are no hidden or extra options that can be added on. There are no finger hoods, index finger flags, crazy leather colors, or other minor options that can be added to the Philippines made custom gloves. These run 4-8 weeks on delivery as well.

What You'll See as the Model Number:
You will get exactly what it says on the Eastbay website unless you have some sort of connection. The USA Custom gloves now operate with the model numbers starting with PRO-(Insert Size)(Insert Back Type). For example an 11 1/2 Inch Open Back glove is a PRO-115C.

USA Leather Used on Custom Gloves:
This is the best of the best in terms of leather quality. The Rawlings USA program uses Camel and Black leather from the Horween Tannery that is famous for the leather that churned out the 90's HOH's that are in high demand. This leather is arguably better than the Philippines leather because of its firmness and lack of overly oil-infused hides. These gloves are built like tanks.

** Please recycle threads by using search via google before posting.

Post subject: Re: Rawlings Custom Order Guide
Unread postPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:11 pm 
Gold Glover

Great work once again!

Unread postPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:05 pm 

Jason...thanks for the information! Looking forward to receiving my USA HOH.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:10 am 

An outstanding job. Very valuable info. Thanks for posting this. Steve

Unread postPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:02 am 

Great stuff.

[b][color=#008000]Gabby's Glove Repair [/color][/b]
[color=#FF0000]www.glovedoctor.net[/color]

TWITTER - @glovedoctor

Unread postPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:03 pm 

Thank you this is great info here. I have a question about the black dry leather what makes it dry? Is it chalky does it stain or mark easy? Is it lighter than the black oiled version?

Unread postPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:06 pm 
Site Administrator

Jason...Thanks for posting this great information!

http://www.glove-works.com
Your source for Professional Baseball Glove/Mitt relacing, restoration
and Glove sales.

"Home of "the Works"
"It's a whole nutha level"

Unread postPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:31 pm 

Awesome HR....Thx for the data....

Mike

Unread postPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:48 pm 

Thanks for the info as it answers my question as to how to get a Rawlings USA glove.

Someone had posted a pic of a glove (perhaps it was on the old forum) of an all tan w/ black patches. I believe the name on the glove was Jason Friedman(??). Does anyone know the glove that I'm speaking of and do you still have a picture of the glove?

I want to order the same glove through Eastbay w/ the black patches. Is this possible? If so, how do I go about getting these patches?

Thanks!

Unread postPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:05 pm 

pwm317 wrote:
Thanks for the info as it answers my question as to how to get a Rawlings USA glove.

Someone had posted a pic of a glove (perhaps it was on the old forum) of an all tan w/ black patches. I believe the name on the glove was Jason Friedman(??). Does anyone know the glove that I'm speaking of and do you still have a picture of the glove?

I want to order the same glove through Eastbay w/ the black patches. Is this possible? If so, how do I go about getting these patches?

Thanks!

http://glove-works.getwebs.org/board/rawlings-pro1175c-eastbay-st-louis-custom-shop-t2576.html

Unread postPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:40 pm 

Super stuff, thanks!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:56 pm 

Is there any way to get the personalized embroidery after you've already bought the glove, or does it have to be embroidered before the glove is put together?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:38 pm 

Trevell wrote:
Is there any way to get the personalized embroidery after you've already bought the glove, or does it have to be embroidered before the glove is put together?

As the glove is being put together. I don't think/doubt that you can have something embroidered on an existing glove, however (I think) Gabby embroidered his name onto a leather patch and then put it over the name that was already on it.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:35 pm 

Does dowdlesports.com not do custom Rawlings anymore or is there something about them y'all choose to overlook? That's where I got mine from anyway. Great glove.

Chris

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:36 pm 

That's my glove up there with the "Glove Doctor" embroidery and the black patches. I ordered that glove on Eastbay.com and then called Bob at Rawlings and made the requests. He was kind enough to oblige!

I did get a really great deal on a Pro Preferred 12 inch custom on Ebay a few years back. Got it for $120 brand new with a guys name embroidered on it. Went to a local leather shop and bought a black sheet of leather. Had my name embroidered on the leather and cut it out, then glued it on with leather glue. Looks great and is still holding strong!

[b][color=#008000]Gabby's Glove Repair [/color][/b]
[color=#FF0000]www.glovedoctor.net[/color]

TWITTER - @glovedoctor