WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Question
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:46 pm 

This might be best for HRKing since he wrote the guide thread- but rather than shoot him an email, i figured id post here to liven this place up a little:)

Rather simple question, but i dont follow... so, the 6hf is 12 inches. 6 usually denotes a H web right? ProHF is 12.5, but no web number.
So im assuming the pro H is a pattern and the F is fastback.
So is the 6 on the 6hf to show its a 12 inch pattern while the hf is a 12.5 inch and its just supposta be known?
Didnt make sense to me and i wondered if anyone could explain.
Thanks!!

Post subject: Re: Question
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:46 pm 

bigmac25 wrote:
This might be best for HRKing since he wrote the guide thread- but rather than shoot him an email, i figured id post here to liven this place up a little:)

Rather simple question, but i dont follow... so, the 6hf is 12 inches. 6 usually denotes a H web right? ProHF is 12.5, but no web number.
So im assuming the pro H is a pattern and the F is fastback.
So is the 6 on the 6hf to show its a 12 inch pattern while the hf is a 12.5 inch and its just supposta be known?
Didnt make sense to me and i wondered if anyone could explain.
Thanks!!

I am pretty sure the H is the Web. and the F is fast back. as PRO-H or PRO1000H all have H in the model number and they are all H webs. The number web system didnt get adopted until the recent models. As F is Fast back vs C as conventional. ie PROS12ICBR I web Conventional and BR - Bruccatio and the 12 stands for size 12.25 in the PRO 200 pattern. 15 is 12.5, and 17 is 12.75.

So that 6 could be signify a certain size in a certain pattern like the 12ICBR.

Hope that help a little. and didnt confuse you even more. I dont think they follow a straight model nomenclature back then, but my explanation kinda make sense.

DatDuke

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:12 pm 

Thanks Anthony.
I get what you are saying, but you answer essentially is my question...
Theres a pro H
Theres a pro HF (same as H just after they started denoting fastbacks?)
Then theres the 6HF, which just by code youd think is just a ProHF with a single post.. i THINK 6 stood for single post back then ex: pro 6xtc, which was a single post until the dms remake)
So, on that logic, unless the 6 means 12 inches in this case and its just assumed the HF is a 12.5, then youd assume they are the same model, just with different webs.
I guess it comes down to that 6... does it mean single post, or does it mean 12 inches?
The shape (size aside) looks very similar and if i didnt know the size diff id just assume one was a single post and the other an H web...

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:39 pm 

Modern day PRO6HF's cling to the name for historically reasons.

The '6' in the original 6HF was the pattern. You would see PRO-5's, 6's 7's, etc... during that era.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:35 am 

bigmac25 wrote:
Thanks Anthony.
Theres a pro H
Then theres the 6HF, which just by code youd think is just a ProHF with a single post.. i THINK 6 stood for single post back then ex: pro 6xtc, which was a single post until the dms remake)
So, on that logic, unless the 6 means 12 inches in this case and its just assumed the HF is a 12.5, then youd assume they are the same model, just with different webs.
I guess it comes down to that 6... does it mean single post, or does it mean 12 inches?
The shape (size aside) looks very similar and if i didnt know the size diff id just assume one was a single post and the other an H web...

Yeah, I was concentrated on your question about the number, and try to give you an answer with the 12 as the example of the 12iCBR. And I just realized the 6HF came with SP instead of H.. I know my PRO-HFE a H web. I totally missed your question. But I think Third has your answer. which is pretty close to what I said using the 12 analogy.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:59 am 

Thanks!!

I dont mean to push it as I do follow... the hf and 6hf really dont have anything in common then the 'hf' happening to be in the name?
If ithe 6hf is a modification to the 'pro-6', the F would stand for Fastback... but why the H?
Is it just b/c they melded the pro 6, and the pro h (f) ?

I know this is pretty trivial, just wondered if they were related in that one was the result of the other...
Cal used the XFG 2H before the 6HF, which is assume is just the same glove with a different model # that evolved... But even though its different, I find it interesting a F makes an appearence in the prefix and a H in the suffix.

I'd imagine the confusion may come from I'm trying to compare model #'s and their meaning from different era where they may have meant different things?
Like I said, I was just reading your guide and that was prob meant for modern gloves rather than being inclusive of the past 30 yrs.

of course... maybe im just too far down the rabbit hole...:)

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:08 am 

DatDuke wrote:
bigmac25 wrote:
Thanks Anthony.
Theres a pro H

Yeah, I was concentrated on your question about the number, and try to give you an answer with the 12 as the example of the 12iCBR. And I just realized the 6HF came with SP instead of H.. I know my PRO-HFE a H web. I totally missed your question. But I think Third has your answer. which is pretty close to what I said using the 12 analogy.

I see your logic my friend! Just knowing letters and numbers meant different things at different times got me thinking.... I dont know if 's' was an old denotation in a model # or not... but just for Ss and Gs, the 'S' is for Pro Preferreds now right? 20 yrs ago 's' could have stood for something different, like 15 inch glove :)
I'm being silly there, but you get the idea. Not knowing what meant what in what era and when that changed is half of the issue for me.
Hell, while im at it I should prob figure out the new pattern system lol Im still resisting

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:16 pm 

bigmac25 wrote:
DatDuke wrote:
bigmac25 wrote:
Thanks Anthony.
Theres a pro H

I see your logic my friend! Just knowing letters and numbers meant different things at different times got me thinking.... I dont know if 's' was an old denotation in a model # or not... but just for Ss and Gs, the 'S' is for Pro Preferreds now right? 20 yrs ago 's' could have stood for something different, like 15 inch glove :)
I'm being silly there, but you get the idea. Not knowing what meant what in what era and when that changed is half of the issue for me.
Hell, while im at it I should prob figure out the new pattern system lol Im still resisting

While you are at it, whats SPT stand for? SINGLE POST? Shallow Pocket?

This was what Bob (DocGlove) explains it at the vintage forum:

"I have no idea what the sp was the T was the web. There was no ryhme or reason for some model names given gloves by my mentor sometimes named after fish or like the CM RL was his name." - Doc

So there you go, the 6HF could fall into that category. And you know when they call the Single Post a "T" Web. I guess they called yours a "H" web.. Who knows?!

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:08 pm 

yeah, this is the kind of stuff that really only Bob can give a definite answer to, and even then, as mentioned, sometimes it would be, "there is no good reason".

i think the Rawlings model numbers of today with web codes, etc..is as organized as they have ever been. The historical stuff isn't so nicely categorizable.