WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: *Pro Issue* Mizuno Pro Limited GZP67
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:06 pm 

Hey guys, thought it was time to do an update on my last post. It was originally titled "Mizuno Pro Limited MZP67/GZP67." GW member David informed me that it was a Pro Issue, so I decided to ask Mizuno myself and see if he was correct. To my avail, he was correct, and in fact this glove is a Pro Issue. Here's what Mizuno replied:

"Response By Email (Casey) (11/20/2014 03:25 PM)
Hi Davis,

Thank you for contacting Mizuno USA. The promo tag on your glove indicates that it is a glove marketed to our minor and pro league players. We absolutely consider this a "pro-issue" glove. If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Best regards"

I knew something was different about this glove as soon as I had bought it. The leather quality is insane. Anyways, I decided I'd make an update post. I've broken it in a lot more and I think I've kept it in great shape for being on a field so much. I would've posted some pics on grass or something, but it's cold and dewey outside where I live right now. Sorry, but it's not for sale or trade and probably never will be. Anywho, here's a couple pictures anyway:

Post subject: Re: *Pro Issue* Mizuno Pro Limited GZP67
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:46 pm 

That is extremely odd... I was cc'd in the memo that came from my rep in the pro dept. that went through the business unit manager, and while I can't post internal memo's, I will say that it says that although some of the promo gloves are pro models, they cannot be verified/authenticated as PI gloves.
It also goes on to say that gloves made for their contracted players, are not labeled for retail sale.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:39 pm 

That is quite odd, I'm confused over this glove's status but I could really care less what this is classified as because the leather is so awesome lol. Maybe it's a spring training glove like most A2000 "Pro Issues" and Rawlings RTDs though?

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:13 pm 

First off, I'm sure these are awesome quality gloves like you say, so this is just really a matter of what the proper label for them is, and has no bearing on quality. The reason this is even an issue, is due to some of the stuff that has happened here recently with Wilson gloves... just don't want to have one of the Wilson flipper kids taking a promo glove they bought from DM for $196, then listing it here for $500 as a PI that they got from their third cousin (twice removed) Chipper Jones or that was specially made for them by their 'boy', Leroy Mizuno.

Here's how the pro dept. explains it (however their retail/customer service dept. takes it from there, is up to them)... they don't make any specific 'spring training' gloves... they have X number of 'promo' gloves made, and some may wind up going down to spring training as sample/try on gloves, others may wind up being checked out by minor league players, while others go to trade shows, retailers (like DM), etc., but they are all the same 'promo' gloves. The only gloves that are specifically made for pro ballplayers as 'PI's', are the ones ordered by pro ballplayers specifically for them (which will have no retail tags).

Almost forgot... I know you mentioned the stiffness of the glove when you mentioned it's possibility of being a PI, but since another member here described his as being softer than a previous retail PL he had, I'm assuming that especially since these particular gloves have been around awhile that the stiffness/softness probably has to do with how much they were handled, and how/where they were stored (especially temperature wise).

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:59 pm 

I did say it was stiff but I didn't say that was a possible reason it may be a PI. But yes the Wilson flopper kid is so accurate :lol:.