WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Pro Gloves
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:07 am 

So, I've read that players have used cheap-o gloves because of sponsorship etc.
Knowing that, is there a reason a pro player would have used the Gold Glove series over HOH?
I know the USA GG were much nicer than they are now, but if you could have used HOH why not?
Could this have been a case of just getting a line in a players hand to promote it?
It seemed a bit odd so I figured i'd ask.
Thanks!!

eBay item number:151846338582

Post subject: Re: Pro Gloves
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:58 pm 

I'm trying to remember if it was here that it was posted that the HOH line had the Gold Glove stampings at one time. The Round R is a tell tell sign for the gloves age.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:37 pm 

I've never seen a player contract with a glove company, that had terms for the player to use a cheap/lower line glove.
As a matter of fact a huge part of the benefit to the glove company of signing pro players to contracts is that they use pro level gloves, and in turn fans of that player are more likely to buy a pro level glove for $200+ rather than a cheaper model glove.

With millions of boys/girls playing baseball/softball in the U.S., there's no shortage of parents buying their kids low/mid level gloves from the big glove companies. The bigger profit and the part of the market that the glove companies know contracting pro players can help most with, is promoting expensive/pro level gloves.
Do you think a $200 11.50" black & tan basket web would be one of the best selling gloves of all time, if it wasn't used and promoted by a certain extremely popular long-time shortstop in The Bronx?

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:11 pm 

Haha right? No, i get it. I just was trying to think of a reason he would use a gold glove. One thought was as he was once a bit of an up and comer, if they wanted to raise awareness about the line theyd get him to wear it. It was just a thought, but i completely see what you're saying. Its obvious as mentioned above this is a bit of an older glove as it has the larger circle logo. Odds would be late 90s, very early 00's, and Id read here that GG 's were pretty decent then. Hell, i had a 1b glove that was from 96 that was from the GG line that i loved and used in lieu of a hoh for a short period until it died so i know they were once decent. I just didnt know why a pro, who prob had any glove he wanted at his disposal wld use this. Thanks!

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:23 pm 

And since in this case we're talking about a player who used Rawlings, Mizuno, LS, SSK (and maybe more) during his career, and when he used Rawlings he used black models, tan models, traps, basket webs, open backs, conventional backs, etc., if he actually used this particular model glove who knows when and for how long.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:11 pm 

Here is another example i dont understand...

Manny uses gamer xle?
Was there another line of this that was better quality?
Just dont get it, so thanks for the thoughts:)

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:39 pm 

Mike Piazza used a Gold Glove catcher's mitt.
It was before the Pro Preferred line of kip leather existed, so I assume players tried on GG & HOH and just chose which one felt better. As you mentioned, the GG line was much better back then, and would have been chosen over HOH if the player desired softer leather and/or faster break-in.

As for Manny Machado, in addition to that Rawlings XLE, there's also a Wilson, a Spalding, and another Rawlings on eBay that were made for him. There always seems to be more of his gloves on eBay than any other player, so he's probably just ordering a lot of different things and trying them. I wouldn't be surprised to see other lines like GG Gamer, PP, Primo, and HOH Dual Core gloves pop up at some point that were also issued to him. It doesn't mean that he would use them in a game, just that he ordered them.

His usual game glove (with the Platinum labels) is a HOH NP5, not XLE.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:04 pm 

Yup... sometimes you also have to look at things like this (as well as read the description), and combine them with what you know about the player.

Machado does use a HOH NP5 (12" Beltre model, if I'm not mistaken).
The glove for sale (which is 11.75", which I don't believe is the size Machado uses at 3B) says it's been "game used" by machado, but looks pretty much brand new.
The description says the glove "was sourced through an Orioles employee from Manny as a gift." Likely scenario, Machado/his agent asked Rawlings to personalize some inexpensive gloves for Machado to give out as gifts.

Also, if you look closely at the pic of the glove for sale and compare it to the pics the seller included of Machado gaming a similar looking glove, you can tell that Machado is gaming a HOH and not a GG Gamer like the one for sale. Just look closely at the Gold Glove Co. on the pinky... glove for sale has indented stamping, while the glove being used by Machado in the pic has the Gold Glove Co. patch with the traditional silver/gold thread.

Plus, the glove has been listed three times recently (seller says he's had two non-pays). In each listing, the story changes a little... one listing mentions nothing about the glove coming from Iraq, one says it's coming from his brother in Iraq, and another says it's coming from his friend's collection in Iraq. In one listing it says the glove should be here any day and is already overdue, and in another it says he won't have the glove for 3-4 weeks. He says he paid $700 for the glove and just wants to break even/come close, but his original BIN prices were hundreds less than $700.

Basically, it looks like someone's trying to cash in from a nice gesture of Manny Machado giving them a $99 personalized Rawlings glove as a thank you gift.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:20 pm 

Thanks!! I hadn't seen the auction prior, and although I've seen his current gamer and the many other gloves of his on the bay I guess I just took the description at its word. I've never looked into Manny's choice of glove other than the aforementioned platinum labeled one.
Frankly, the entire description seemed odd, but the gist was that it fit into this post I'd started previously and in the spirit of conversation thought I'd include this as well. It seems however, this may have a different reasoning as to why it was created.
Thanks for the thoughts!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:30 pm 

So, after a month of staring at the Gold Glove Grimsley, I contaced the seller and got the price down a bit, as well as an option to return it of I didnt like it. What appealed to me is the trapeze on a 202 instead of the 12tc. It arrived today, and Im STUNNED. The seller said that it was no doubt a pro glove, but man.. this thing is AWESOME! ! I must say, Im throughly confused though.
Its almost thicker and heavier than HOH I have from the same era. I doubt it was mis stamped and there are no real reviews of this era GG on this site, but Im SUPER impressed. The thing is stiff as a board and really beefy as well. Its actually what I expected the usa HOHs Ive picked up to be. Its a keeper for sure and something that you needed in hand to evaluate as just pics on the bay is kinda tough to judge. Ill take some better ones later and share them here.. i just wanted to let you guys know about it as id started this thread in regard to it initially

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:12 pm 

So, after having some time to check it out a bit more and talk to someone a few more things seem odd and I was given a theory that is just speculation.... but makes sense.
First and foremost, this glove has the unmistakable smell of horween.
Its heavy, thick, and I cant even close it. Its going to take FOREVER to break in.
The only glove I personally have that it this thick, and heavy is the DMS tan horween RV23.
In fact, if I ordered their 12tcb black dry horween model the Grimsley is EXACTLY what I would expect to show up.
I've looked at a bunch of older Gold Gloves and have not seen one with the thumb loops like this.
This is a 2001 glove as evidenced by the 1 DOT. To my understanding, Rawlings had already moved on to the oval logo by then.
The other pro issues I've seen from this era had both oval logos as well as the skinny MIP tag that we still see on modern pro dept.
He would never brag about his knowledge/collection, but I can for him. This boardie, I'm pretty sure has seen it all/owned it all 2 times over.
His thought, Pros get what they want.
To his understanding, there were still gloves being made in Missouri in 2001.
This is a pro issue glove, void of the MIP tag and has circle logos so it stands to reason that this could have been made for Grimsley in the USA with pro model specs and for some reason he wanted it stamped GG rather than HOH.
It very much has the SLCS bowl shape as well, rather than the normal shape from that time.
What ever it is, its the nicest glove I own and and very happy I took the chance.
I just wanted an older 12tc or something different and unique and couldnt decide between this and a used tcb USA for a similar price.
I chose this because the 202 trapeze is a bit more unique than a 12tc
I may never know its origin, but I'd LOVe to hear any speculation or thoughts from you guys!
Here are some better pics. Thanks for the time reading this and ANY ideas are appreciated!
[url][URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151104_140900_zpsyz3unbw9.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
[url][URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151104_140917_zpsbs8zo7fp.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
[url][URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151104_140935_zpsxxbnv47d.jpg.html]

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:16 pm 

[url][URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151104_155835_zps1ygnoako.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
[url][URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151104_155822_zpsgaqgxwtw.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
[url][URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151104_155815_zpst85nhgxu.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
[url][URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151104_155747_zpsqg3n8yr4.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
[url][URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151104_155734_zpscds7aqq4.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
[url][URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151104_152346_zpscwogixiy.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
[url][URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151104_152335_zpsrtloyzut.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
[url][URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151104_152331_zpsbjydirhi.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
[url][URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151104_140935_zpsxxbnv47d.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:30 pm 

Quite a speculation, but sounds pretty silly when you look at the big picture (I believe looking at the big picture was some advice I gave you, regarding the Machado glove).
Jason Grimsley was a pitcher who switched glove brands most every season depending on which company offered him a few extra bucks, and (other than stealing a corked bat that was headed to the league office) was most known for not only using steroids, HGH, and amphetamines, but having the FBI raid his house as he was believed to be distributing drugs as this rocket scientist actually had thousands of dollars of drugs delivered to his own house with his own name right on the label.

The odds that Jason Grimsley went through some kind of Herculean effort to get a super special glove with special stamping or anything else of the sort is pretty silly to say the least, especially since he went through glove companies like LS, Mizuno, Rawlings, SSK, etc. like most players go through sanitary socks (and I believe Grimsley was with LS in 2001, when you say this Rawlings was made).

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:12 am 

With all due respect, I think you kinda missed the point. Im not claiming that he went through any sort of "herculean effort" in the least. In fact, i made it a point to preface my last post with the following was purley speculation.
I appreciate you taking the time to contribute, as I asked for any ideas or thoughts to which you offered yours and I respect that.
That being said, having Grimsleys name on the side of the glove matters not. Right off the top, the glove is brand spanking new so its fairly evident if not blaintely obvious he never used the glove. Thats really neither here nor there. Also, i see no connection to the Machado glove as that was simply just another example of a glove that wasnt used by the individual but had his name on the side. Maybe, thats where the disconnect is as my ORIGINAL question was simply why such a thing exists.
That, was answered and although it was simply speculation - it made sense.

Now, i purchased the aforementioned Grimsley Gold Glove.
Again, unused.
Why was it unused? Who knows. Maybe he was using LS as you stated. That certianly would be a good reason.
I expected a Gold Glove when the package arrived. My desire for something that wasnt run of the mill had led me to initially inquire and when the seller, who was also a collector insisted that this wasn't your avg gold glove I was intrigued and when he stated he was confident I would feel the same way or I could return it no questions asked, I took him up on it.
What actually came in the package was a surprise.
I may not have years of collecting gloves under my belt, but Ive played consistently for the past 25 years and could tell a quality top of the line glove from a lesser glove before collecting.
Since Ive started Ive learned a lot, most of which came from reading the rawlings section front to back. Ive also owned a Gold Glove from the 90s and although it was a nice glove, it was no where near as nice as this.

Last edited by bigmac25 on Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:13 am 

Which, brings me full circle. The fact is, whether its been used by Jason or not, this is an odd ball glove.
I made some points that to me are odd. I asked for imput and provided speculation from someone who has seen it all and was kind enough to take the time to speculate.
You seem to want nothing to do with these odd chacteristics and would rather (for whatever reason) dismiss them as nonsense and concentrate on proving a point that wasn't really even in question.

The glove is a thick horween glove. I cant even close it its so stiff and thick.
The horween smell is the horween smell, it is what it is.
Upon further inspection, there is even an odd insert in the thumb that almost protects it. It comes down much further than on the thumb and almost makes the thumb stay in a predetermined place. Ive never encountered that before.
Its almost like there was a difference between pro issue gold gloves and retail ones...
Pro issue gloves Ive seen on ebay from this time period seem to have the MIP tag. If this is horween, and a few gloves were still being made in Missouri at this time, then it also makes sense that it could be made in the USA.
Personally, I think the bowl shape you guys relate to the SLCS gloves and the fact that this is a 2001 glove that still has the round R logo take the 'speculation ' to a decent possibility that actually has merrit.

I posted because I wanted to know if any of the glove experts on here had any ideas why this glove is the way it is or had encountered something like this in the past.
If you feel the need to ridicule or laugh at the notion, then fine. Again, you're entitled to.
I feel it is a shame that instead of contributing something worthwhile to my questions and points, you didnt find a single one of the oddities worth speculating on and decided to completely dismiss what I said and instead decided to comment on what you wanted to in a semi mocking manner (type is often difficult to decipher emotion in so I really only have your words) and be done with it.
Lastly, I thought this was assumed, but this has nothing to do with value. Ive already started breaking it in and havent a care in the world about worth. My questions were nothing more than why this is the way it is as ive seen debated and hypothised and yes.. even speculated in regard to other gloves in all the posts and pages past.

If anyone else has any thoughts or ideas , id love to hear them.
Again, thanks for the time