WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Pro-cmhcb(2) Mcgwire/Pujols... Hard to find?!
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:48 pm 

Hey Everyone,

Awesome site!! I've been a reader, but a recent experience motivated me to actually post and try and get some information as I have not been able to find much about this gloves history.

My favorite player growing up was McGwire. I always knew the model he used at the end of his A's time and through his time with the Cards as well and thought it was a great looking glove. In my junior year in HS, I purchased a clearence version of this glove in all tan. I loved it (although the thumb bar was really thin or didnt exist at all) and used it through college. Somehow, it was either lost or stolen and I was playing more softball at that point anyway so I just picked up any old glove and it worked fine. In fact, it actually felt good not to be a glove or bat snob any longer and just play with out worrying about it, even though I'd still admire a nice glove when I saw one.

Last year I started to play hardball again with whatever glove I could find and as this season is coming I'll be playing more often and have gotten the bug again to take both it, and my glove selection much more serious:)

First was the bats, eventually settling on a composite Rawlings Velo R110CV.
Then I set out to try and find a vintage pair of the old Franklin Logo Lock batting gloves but had no luck, but was able to find a couple pairs of the Franklin short tab style McGwire used. I was pretty jazzed to see those again because it had been so long and although I was initially just using the style of my hero, I really came to like the simplicity and vintage feel to them. So, batting gloves check...

Now, what brings me to this post. I needed to find the PROCMHCB...
I wanted a new one so the fold could be all me, but didnt want to break the bank. Ebay had options, but most were too beat up and all the new ones were left throwers. One was listed for $180, but the buyer couldnt accept funds and it became clear that all the questions and 26 watchers were people trying to buy the glove that had the same problem. A few snuck through the cracks over the winter, but I wasnt looking for one at that time.

I sifted through over 30 pages of Google searches trying the model #, instock, review, for sale, and stumbled upon a few left throwers but nothing for a righty.
A few results had some shady sites from Japan, and a few ones in Europe had it for for over $300 Euros not counting shipping. One site had it for then slapped a $100 in fees over the retail and finally one "baseball club" web site had it for order, but when I called the number the voice mail was for something totally different so I didnt want to chance it. The only other spot was a site that had it in country colors with a flag on it (not my price point or style for that matter)

Post subject: Re: Pro-cmhcb(2) Mcgwire/Pujols... Hard to find?!
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:48 pm 

After a frustrating couple hours, I finally came across Rankinsports.com, a family owned sports store in Danbury CT who had the glove in stock for $199 and free shipping. I called to verify it was the correct hand and model and then became a happy man I was able to find this discontinued glove that was my favorite model from my playing days and will be able to use it again going forward. Although $200 isnt a lot, it is more than I initially wanted to spend as I wont be playing as much as I did back then but it will prob be the last glove I buy so I did want it to be something I wanted. I'm sure someone is thinking, why didnt I just create it at Rawlings and save the time and effort, but I didnt want to pay that kind of scratch. I just couldnt believe with all the deadstock out there I had such a hard time finding this model. Its not the exact same as mcgwire or Pujols (or howard) as its most similar to Mcgwire but the pocket bar is black with the tan lacing as opposed to tan on tan ( or red for the APPRO5) but its that HOH model and thats good enough for me.
So, if so many pros have used this model, and its still pro preferred to a degree, why was it discontinued? This style has been around since the 70s hasnt it? Thats why I've always liked it- it looks like a modern 70s glove. It seems a lot of people are trying to purchase it as shown on ebay, so I didnt know if Rawlings cancelled and brought back this style every few years? It seems like SSK and Mizuno and even Reebok (maybe a few yrs ago) all currently make this pattern, but in order to get it from Rawlings and not search for a needle in a hay stack you have to pay $350+...or is that the idea? I get there are much more expensive gloves and the reason I found it for that price was how old it was. I just thought itd be more readily available. Does anyone know the history behind this model? if it comes back mass produced every few years? Do the other brands in this style just look the same, or are they very close when playing? I'm just looking on some info on my fav glove and this seemed like the place to go.

Thanks everyone for their time and sorry for the long read. I look forward to hearing about this gloves history!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:18 pm 
Gold Glover

To bad you missed this one a couple of months ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rawlings-HOH-He ... 4d241f2e94

These are still out there, the mitts out there have the black leather with the tan laces which is probably the one you purchased. I was able to pick up this Horween version a couple of years ago that is pretty nice. It seems that the DCT models are the most popular first base mitt. I prefer the DCT models myself.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:44 pm 

I saw that glove.
Pretty sweet, but I actually collect mainly Jim Kelly but other Buffalo Bills game used jerseys, and if I make a purchase for what I consider big bucks its going to be that rather than a glove. I can only afford one big dollar hobby:)

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does DC stand for?

Will they someday be made again for mass purchase or is this more out dated and a custom thing from here on out?

Also, I didnt think about it, but does it have to do with if a star is using this model at the current time and there becomes more of a demand for that reason?

BTW, I saw a sold listing in ebay for your color style glove and outside of my soft spot for mcgwires combo, yours is my fav. Nice glove!!

How long has this model been around for?

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:04 am 

"DCT" = "Double Ca-Thud"
I am not making that up.
The model has a break thru the middle of the fingers that allows the mitt to bend almost perpendicular to the ground. This is an old Willy McCovey pattern and he used to say the first "thud" was the ball hitting the ground ( low throw) and the 2nd "thud" was the ball hitting the pocket of his mitt.
If you ever make to AT & T park in San Francisco and go to the ticket office, there is a photo in the lobby circa 1965 showing Willy Mac with his mitt on his hand. Right there in the fingers of the mitt you can read his model PRODCT.

FYI if you can't find a PROCMHCB , try the CMHCB2 or AP5. They are all the same pattern.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:37 am 
Gold Glover

bigmac25 wrote:
I saw that glove.
Pretty sweet, but I actually collect mainly Jim Kelly but other Buffalo Bills game used jerseys, and if I make a purchase for what I consider big bucks its going to be that rather than a glove. I can only afford one big dollar hobby:)

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does DC stand for?

Will they someday be made again for mass purchase or is this more out dated and a custom thing from here on out?

Also, I didnt think about it, but does it have to do with if a star is using this model at the current time and there becomes more of a demand for that reason?

BTW, I saw a sold listing in ebay for your color style glove and outside of my soft spot for mcgwires combo, yours is my fav. Nice glove!!

How long has this model been around for?

1- The DCT stands for "Double Ca Thud" as stated by GoldGloveDave.
2- I'm sure they will remake this model but it doesn't seem to be as popular due the fact that most of the modern first baseman use different Rawlings models (Votto, Gonzalez, Fielder, Goldschmidt), but Pujlos and Howard still use it so I don't think it will totally disappear.
3- I am pretty sure the model you want has been around in one form or another since the McGuire days (1980's) at least till the current time.

Below was one of my favorite versions or the CMCH model. I bought it with a busted out center bar of the web and replaced it and relaced the mitt and it was great just not a hell of a lot of padding but it gobbled up everything.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:32 am 

Thats the EXACT model/color glove I had in highschool and college!!!
I would have liked to find that color, but feel lucky to have found the one I did.
Funny, the world working the way it does, had I have just waited a day I would have found the one someone put up on ebay for $160 new last night.
Oh well, better safe than sorry.

Thanks for sharing the Willie story. I thought it was older, but didnt know exactly who wore it.
The style in other makers is for the same idea of the DCT? Bassically just a copy of rawlings model?

I'm not sure if mcgwire wore the same style his entire career... I'll try to find a rookie pic of him at 1st.

Is there a rhyme or reason to the colors they make for mass retail? it was the black with tan laces, and before it was like the one pictured above and I'm sure there have been others but as a whole I wondered how they chose what to release.

Thanks for the info and insight!!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:41 am 

So, I didnt notice this before, but I'm sure you guy cant tell me what the difference is and why (I know physically it looks different, but whats the point of the x laces and space on one and not the other?)

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:43 am 

Sorry, not sure why pics didnt work...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rawlings-player ... 487cf932ee

On that ebay one you see the space above the fingers, where as this one...

http://rankinsports.com/media/product/f ... b2-03d.jpg

has no space. I didnt realize there was a difference until just now!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:20 am 

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got a call from the place I ordered the glove from and they told me they are out of stock!!!!!

The one that was on ebay sold last night too!!!!!

Back to the drawing board.... talk about ruining a day..... NUTS!!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:14 pm 

FYI, Pujols is no longer a Rawlings guy.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:43 pm 

Good God that was difficult!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had been searching the model in the title, but after calling a couple other spots to verify they ACTUALLY had the item in stock like their web site said (they didnt) I searched APPRO5 and came across this web site...

http://www.peligrosportsnyc.com/index.p ... uct_id=852

They have a TON instock, some with the dominican (?) flag, and some with out. All had crazy colors.

I liked the expos glove, but thats not very practical as neat as it looked.
I considered the all red with the black web, but decided that may be a bit gaudy so I went with the black with red web and laces.
I called and they gave me a break over the phone on the price, no shipping and no taxes as well...

How in the world does 1 store have this glove in sssoooo many color options?!? I'm happy they did, but it seems like thats something you have customized at rawlings.com so how they ended up with all those is beyond me.

Anyway, other than getting lucky on ebay that site seems to be the ONLY spot to order new for around the $200 price point- which to me, for a HOH glove seems pretty good. Hopefully if anyone else wants this model I can save you the time because I searched 50+ google pages to find this...

But, at least now I'm happy ASSUMING the right thing actually comes.. Fingers Crossed!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:13 pm 
Gold Glover

bigmac25 wrote:
Good God that was difficult!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had been searching the model in the title, but after calling a couple other spots to verify they ACTUALLY had the item in stock like their web site said (they didnt) I searched APPRO5 and came across this web site...

http://www.peligrosportsnyc.com/index.p ... uct_id=852

They have a TON instock, some with the dominican (?) flag, and some with out. All had crazy colors.

I liked the expos glove, but thats not very practical as neat as it looked.
I considered the all red with the black web, but decided that may be a bit gaudy so I went with the black with red web and laces.
I called and they gave me a break over the phone on the price, no shipping and no taxes as well...

How in the world does 1 store have this glove in sssoooo many color options?!? I'm happy they did, but it seems like thats something you have customized at rawlings.com so how they ended up with all those is beyond me.

Anyway, other than getting lucky on ebay that site seems to be the ONLY spot to order new for around the $200 price point- which to me, for a HOH glove seems pretty good. Hopefully if anyone else wants this model I can save you the time because I searched 50+ google pages to find this...

But, at least now I'm happy ASSUMING the right thing actually comes.. Fingers Crossed!!!

Great store. I have been on there site many a time as well as visiting the store itself. Not many stores left that carry quality gloves but they have a lot of quality stuff. They just basically customize gloves and sell them on there site and in the store. The store is located in Washington Heights which has a large Domican population.
The CMHC model s not as popular as it use to be.

Last edited by yankees23 on Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:16 pm 
Gold Glover

bigmac25 wrote:
Sorry, not sure why pics didnt work...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rawlings-player ... 487cf932ee

On that ebay one you see the space above the fingers, where as this one...

http://rankinsports.com/media/product/f ... b2-03d.jpg

has no space. I didnt realize there was a difference until just now!!

The first model is a cheaper leather and is a DCT model with a CMHC web.

The second mitt is the regular CMHC model in Heart of the Hide leather.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:22 pm 
Gold Glover

Here's a new PROCMHC

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rawlings-New-He ... 27d18b48c4

and a used one if your looking to save a few bucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rawlings-Heart- ... 0820&rt=nc