WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Re: A Changing Hobby
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:00 am 

I MUCH prefer even the DMS horween to the new Rawlings horween.
The new stuff, what they call c55, is almost identical to the 2012 Rgear exclusive line with the orange look that had black binding.
It is NOTHING like the old baseball glove horween.
IG, as we've discussed before has some excellent guys. Most of those guys are either on here or FB.
There are some folks who use their accounts for GREAT causes, sometimes charitable, but mostly just bringing good baseball knowledge to the table and it gets passed on to the kids who ARE respectful (they do exist) who need to learn this stuff somehow if they are genuinely into it.
I kinda look at from a different perspective... I never had grandparents close enough to me to spend a lot of time with but was lucky enough to 'adopt' my best friends great aunt and when he went off to school I'd stop[ in every day and look after her. I always enjoyed listening to her stories and hearing about how things used to be. The reality is, if we dont take the time and listen to the older folks who have so much to share we may miss out on a great perspective and knowledge. That wont DIRECTLY relate to this, but the idea is YOU GUYS are the ones who in a sense pioneered this hobby. I've learned a great deal going back and reading all your old posts.... but this is more the venue for that.
No good discussion actually happens ON ig... its all in DM/text/email.
IG seems to be more of an attention getter, flashy, look at me medium. Even though I dont think it would be admitted to, it turns into a pissing contest. Alan gives glimpses of the goods on occasion but for the most part it seems there are a lot of REALLY good collections that arent posted because A) its not worth the hassle of the 1000 dms asking for sale or trade or B) maybe ya just dont want it out there
THIS forum is the best medium IMO for this discussion, and it may be a dying social media- but maybe part of the appeal is these kids who are so caught up in ' the glove game' dont often spill over.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:00 am 

And lets not forget that at least half (maybe 3/4) of the IG crowd are kids who aqre just having fun. They are interacting with others their age like we used to do in chat rooms back in the day. They stream live.. and give people the same review of the same glove theyve done 10x over... but thats ok, its jujst kids playing a game, getting a few gloves, piling up the hearsay knowledge, following trends, and looking up to the big accounts. And hey... someones gotta lead them, and so it goes...
I guess i've just come to realize THIS is totally different from that. THIS is where the good talk, ideas, reviews etc goes down.
At the end of the day its 2 totally different types of collecting with a few overlaps.
Guys here take it serious, know their stuff and are respectful even if there is a disagreement.
Kids there just collect for fun and like being part of a group or scene, only know what they hear ( right or wrong) and likie to bicker.
I guess just try to extract the positives of looking at some cool gloves but maybe dont even bother with the text portion?
LONG LIVE GWF :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:03 pm 

I came into the hobby like you. I was a player. High School and College. Then I moved to 12" softball so I could continue to use the gloves. I do feel the hobby is shifting, I don't think its so much the technology, that just helps spread around, but also spread thin.

I feel the glove interest has changed. I love the old Horween gloves, stiffer the better. The longer a glove takes me to break in, the more I seem to like it. It becomes more of a journey. Most of the gloves these days are 50-70% broken in. I hate that, but I think the big % of buyers want that.

I've been away for a while, just had a kid and home reno last year. That kinda got in the way of collecting. I too have started an excel of gloves I have owned. Some to flip, some to use, some just to see what they were like. Like you, Mostly I just needed to break even in the long run so my wife doesn't kill me.

I've been working on a book, I will share with you guys when I get done.
F

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:31 am 

A book??? Fred, I had no idea you were an author too!!!! exciting and should be a fun read!!

Something else that sucks... going back and reading old threads etc... this place was HOPPIN!!!
I personally like the old DMS release anticipation threads. Speculation, waiting, release, reviews - good stuff.
Now, it seems like just bc SBF is a bit more busy anything baseball related is more apt to get discussed there.
Not that its a better forum, but most in this thread guys are in both places and for whatever reason that place gets more traffic.
Just for fun, maybe I'll make it a point to come here with baseball specific things. BUT even the chatter on the little things that seem like they used to get talked about doesn't happen here anymore.
For example, did anyone see that old XPG or whatever the model was on ebay that actually had a palm of another glove used on the inside of the liner?? THAT was pretty cool. Talk about reusing materials and making the most of them. I wondered iif the stamoing on the inside would get annoying though... anyway, it seems like even small things like that would get a thread and warrent a discussion.
Maybe its all the old stuff has already been discussed, and the new stuff just isnt that interesting to the guys who dig the old stuff??
No idea...

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:34 am 

Hrking4675 wrote:
Ha, well if we are going to name names, I couldnt agree more there...

Yeah that Pablo guy is the biggest tool on IG for glove seller accounts. I'm also not a fan of the lady in Florida that sells Wilson gloves either. I think it's sad that people have to use shady sales tactics and endless self-promotion to sell gloves. What's even sadder is that they think they are important people because they have followers.

I'm old school and not into the shelf queen aspect of glove collecting but if you think you got something special and want to hold on to it and not use it I'm not going to judge you. I use every glove I buy for hardball until it gets worn out then I give it to any of my friends who wants it for softball or just to have a backup in their bag when coaching.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:12 pm 

You make some really fair points about "endless self-promotion" and "important people because they have followers." This is the main reason I do not like social media. It is an endless d**k measuring contest. I like baseball gloves, because well, I like baseball, and subsequently like baseball gloves too. Way I look at it though is if these are adults, living on instagram, over baseball gloves, to be idolized by 13 year olds, it annoys me that they take away from the hobby, but man, they got real issues in life ha.

As much as I am for being fair with prices, with some of the jokers out there now, if you are that dumb and or ignorant to pay something outlandish, then shame on you.