WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: 2017 Leather Colors
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:07 pm 

I was curious about this myself so I ordered a few gloves to see what I liked. Quality is not great- took these with my iphone, but I think they show the colors pretty well. A couple of things to note here. I REALLY like the 303-CTB pattern. The Dark Shadow J leather is AWESOME. The Butterscotch is kind of a mustard color- not a huge fan. The Golden Brown is very close to Wilson's Saddle Tan in person. Looks a bit different in the pictures. The new wrist lining is okay- pretty indifferent on it. I am not a fan of rolled welting, so I was a bit disappointed to see this for gloves with "grey" color welting. Going to try and be more active on here again as I finally made it thru a season without a catastrophic leg injury, ha.

For the "tans" from left to right on the top it is Rich Tan PP, 2015 Horween Tan, 2013 Horween Tan, Horween Oiled Tan, (Bottom) Gold Tan and Butterscotch. Everything except the Butterscotch one is a pro issue.

Post subject: Re: 2017 Leather Colors
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:10 am 

Welcome back! Since Rawlings raised the price of their customs, I periodically check to see if they have upped the options available. Nothing new since gold metallic was added.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:58 pm 

What's the model # on the 2015 Horween Tan? PRO200-???? Looks like some sweet leather, thanks for buying and sharing. The butterscotch and golden brown are interesting additions, I wonder if it was an attempt to distract from the lacking horween tan in the retail realm. Hope the good health keeps up!

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:05 pm 

Very nice gloves. Welcome back.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:59 pm 

shiftclick wrote:
What's the model # on the 2015 Horween Tan? PRO200-???? Looks like some sweet leather, thanks for buying and sharing. The butterscotch and golden brown are interesting additions, I wonder if it was an attempt to distract from the lacking horween tan in the retail realm. Hope the good health keeps up!

200-13MSO

I forgot to add one pic but I have Golden Brown one too. Will put up later.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:45 pm 

Thanks for posting these Jason.

How does the wrist lining compare to Wilson Dri-Lex? It looks very similar.

Scott

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:07 pm 

Its about the same. Maybe a little flatter and smoother if anything. Almost identical.

Here's the Golden Brown next to Primo HOH PI from a few years back. Also the GB next to the Saddle Tan TF21 which is my softball gamer for now.

Rawlings FINALLY made the SP web WIDE ENOUGH on the 200's. I compared this to a PI from 2009 its almost a half inch wider and has an extra lace loop on the top. These are actually usable now.

Random note... I read on the SBF about their custom PRO1000 that someone was told by CS they should order something to the tune of the drier and stiffer butterscotch leather... The BU leather was one of the softest that came in. I've also been saying this for years now- the actual leather does not play as big of a role in the gloves firmness as everyone thinks. The finger padding, lining, ect is actually the skeleton of the glove! I currently use a full mesh, black oiled horween, PI PRO200-6BM and the leather is soft, but the shape is firm- because I ordered it like that.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:58 pm 

Welcome back, buddy! I also picked up the 303-CTB (had to get the conventional back Trap). GREAT feeling glove, has a little bit of a crease in the palm, but it is forming nicely. The leather quality is pretty nice, almost PPish. I do prefer the new wrist lining Rawlings has on this one. Would like to see a different color welting than grey, but it is nice all the same.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:02 am 

Would you consider selling the Mesh one? Or trading it

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:30 pm 

I am thinking about getting a custom with dry black and dark shadow, and I am trying to decide between JT dark shadow and nubuck. You said the JT DS is great, does it seem durable to you? It looks like you got it in the pocket as well as the shell back. I am thinking of dry black in the pocket, but if the JT seems sturdy I might go with that. Thanks for your time.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:34 pm 

How is the oiled horween for an infield gamer? Always had the impression it becomes soft and droopy after not too long. Though I've never felt PI oiled horween...

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:53 pm 

Son's DJ2 definitely became soft after one season. Relace did help for 2nd season. He has a TB24 for outfield next year. Leary of conditioning it this winter. My 701 is tan oil treated and is holding up well, but I don't game it.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:52 pm 

Anyone over here heard if the tan horween is live? Itll be interesting if indeed it is to see what the skinny is on it. Lighter weight tan, or the stiff stuff weve been pining for. Could be a busy few months for the custom crew overseas:)

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:28 am 

Sorry I missed some replies on here...

Jackson - Its definitely softer, BUT with the firm inserts ect the shape holds up well. It does not wear like the retail Oiled Black on the Jeter's where you get that worn down/ freying-white look. I'll state this again though, I think the actual leather quality in many cases is very comparable of PI vs Retail, obviously with PI having the edge.

JChapman - I have another pro issue JDS that is as stiff if not stiffer than the JB's that I have. I would have no doubt this will hold up well and going to be using this 303-6JDS as my Softball OF gamer. Its definitely a sturdy leather new. I am not a fan of the nubuck in any color for anything but the back of a glove. I have a PI one and Ive felt the retail one.