WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: The Local PLAY IT AGAIN
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:57 pm 

Over the years I've found some pretty cool baseball items at Play It Again Sports. Today while strolling through, a brown leather glove with a "used" tag caught my eye. The leather looked beautiful and as I pulled it off the shelf I found it was a brand new Zett Zi-fect first baseman mitt model BIF-1523. It still had the original tags on it and obviously had never been used. The best part, it was only $29.99! I don't really know much about Zett but the glove looks and feels top of the line, like a Nocona or Rawlings HOH. I feel like I got a great deal. Anyone got any info on this? By the way this is my first post on this forum. I'm a self admitted baseball equipment junkie.

Post subject: Re: The Local PLAY IT AGAIN
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:51 pm 

That is a fantastic find!

Zett's can be confusing because they have been manufactured in different places overseas but my understanding is that the Zifect series was made in Japan and it is absolutely top of the line. I bought my first Zett Zifect in the mid 1990's and the glove and leather are still terrific. Some have compared the Zett Zifect leather to the oiled Horween. I bought another Zett Zifect more recent and I've used it for slow pitch softball.

They don't go for very high $ value when it comes to resale or auction. Most people don't know about them and they don't have the brand recognition in the states that they have in other places. But many big leaguers have used them over the years...

I would love to see some pics!

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:10 pm 

+1

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:36 am 

I'm really surprised at the amount of cool finds from PIAS across the country. With the amount of technological research tools available, you'd think they'd take the time to discover what they had. Some of my favorite stories involve Rawlings USA gloves going for $19.99 or the like. Congratulations!

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:41 am 

Ya... but for every one of those you get a beat to crap a2000 for 125 lol. I dont have one local, but always hit up the one by the inlaws. Someone there thinks they know whats what as even a1k used got for 100... but then a gold glove gold logo catchers mitt was $30 and a primo catchers mitt, $50. Very inconsistant

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:28 am 

Yesterday I saw a well used Gold Glove Elite 12.75 trap-eze for either $80 or $90 at PIAS. Not a bad glove, but you can buy them new from Dick's for $99 most of the time, and even cheaper on e-bay. I have one, NWT, I paid $50 for. This one should have been around $35.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:52 pm 

The inconsistency is telling me that they do not have a solid appraisal method in placed. They are prob. using internet and search for recent auction price. If they can't find any recent comps, they will use the next closest models. Thats a good thing for us who know how much a USA HOH is worth comparing to a GG with a Gold Label. . I have had a few good experience with PIAS. their well known model usually overpriced. But the rare, older classics at brand new condition are usually miss valued. I hope no glove collector end up working for them and messing up the good thing. And one more thing, I believe they rotate the dead stock inventories among nearby stores. So if a glove fails to sell at my store could end up at your's local PIAS next month. There could be a chance for the store to notice the incorrect pricing and make the correction. however they have to cover the cost first. (which is dirt bottom when I tried to sell them my old gear). All they care is covering their margin. they dont care if they sold it undervalue. If they paid you $20 for your mint A2K GOTM, they will try to sell it for $40 if they cant find a definitive comp for it.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:55 pm 

Here is what I found today at PIAS

PRO 6 Basket Web. I thought the code was EEB01 but it is faded and that code doesn't make sense to me....

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:12 pm 
Gold Glover

Having worked at a PIAS in college i can tell you quoting is at the managers discretion. They quote and then resell at souble what they bought it for. Theres actually a coding system on the barcodes that tell you what the cost they bought it qt was.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:18 pm 

I meant the Rawlings date code printed on the outside of the thumb...

But here is the PIAS bar code and tag. For some reason, when they rang it up - it was only $32.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:08 am 

I worked at a PIAS for years, and I agree with the aforementioned reasons for weird pricing. I would add two additional factors: The store I managed had a staff that was half baseball players and half ice hockey players. Each would mis-price the other sport's equipment on a regular basis. The other factor was more a function of the customer base. I recall specifically a used Pro Preferred in 8/10 condition we had priced for $89. It was LHT or I naturally would have given it a home. That glove sat in the used glove bin all summer because whenever we showed it to a customer, he or she would turn around go to the new gloves and pick a new MVP Prime or Gold Glove for the same price. No matter how many great things we pointed out about the $300+ PP, the customers always opted for new over used awesome. This particular store subsequently made it policy to price all used gloves below a certain threshold regardless of make and model because the customer base dictated price as priority.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:40 pm 

[/quote]...I thought the code was EEB01 but it is faded and that code doesn't make sense to me....[/quote]

Does this date code stand for October of 2001?

EEB - October 01
01 - Horween

Is that correct ???

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:47 am 

'91 more likely

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:39 pm 

Mvalz wrote:
'91 more likely

Ok - Thanks for chiming in!

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:30 pm 

I just saw the posts about the reference page. I had copied and pasted the black horse code but I had some things confused....

So now I am thinking my PRO 6 is from January of 1990....