WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Spalding Pro Select 12" with basket web
Unread postPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:54 pm 

Picked up a Spalding 42004 - 12" with basket web.

Anyone opened one up and have an idea what the palm pad material is?

It feels kinda thick and spongy, like it might be foam, rather than leather.

This is my second Spalding Pro Select, by the way. I bought and returned the Cano model a couple years ago because the leather some flaws - looked like superficial cuts and nicks.

The 42004 also has some of the same flaws in the leather, but at the price I paid, I'm not to worried about it. Some of the flaws look like they came from manufacturing (like the leather was nicked or scratched with something sharp) and others look like they might have been in the hide from the start. They are all superficial and do not pose any long-term concerns.

As others have said, the lace quality is mediocre at best.

However, at the sub $50 price these are going for on eBay, they are still quite the deal and are solid gloves, if you can overlook some minor flaws and mediocre laces. The leather quality (minus the flaws) and felt quality are very good. So far, I like the 42004 pattern too - seems pretty similar to a Rawlings PRO200-based pattern.

Post subject: Re: Spalding Pro Select 12" with basket web
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:27 pm 

Never opened one up, but it sure feels spongey. Spalding went overboard on the palm protection. I bought one for for my son last year, and spent a bit of time breaking it in for him, then gave it to him to play it in. It never broke in for him, and he complained of balls jumping out of the glove on him. Just went through an intensive beat down session with a Mallet/Croquet ball/5 lb. weight while watching TV the other night, and I think I've got the resiliency beaten out of the padding. It has a better feel now, and the ball "sticks" better in the glove.

It's now a good glove, and a screaming bargain at the prices they are going for now. We'll see how it holds up.

I also got a Spalding 42001, non Cano model for my older son, who is a HS SS. I beat the foam down from the get go in a three or four hour session, and he says it feels great now. I love the design of the 42001's....they typically go for bigger $ than the other Spalding Pro Selects. I don't know if that's just because of the Cano connection, or that it is perceived as a better glove. It certainly feels good.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:09 pm 

For that price range, the only thing I think you can compare to are Mizuno MVP series, and the LS Omaha Series, How do they compare? I do think the Spalding is better made than those 2.

For $50. I would look into some used Reebok V3000 series. Just picked up a Pro Issued Premier from Ebay. And they are very close to a PROS or A2K.

The Nike DE series are also nice. (They have diff. levels with he DE range) Look for a used PRO. level if you can.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:49 am 

The 42004 is a good all round glove. For my young guy, who plays pitcher, OF, and third, it's a nice compromise glove. It's like a slightly bigger RAWLINGS PRODJ2. We'll see how it works out this season.

I think the 42001 might be a great glove. For the record, I would have bought any level glove for my older SS son...was considering the Mizuno Pro Limiteds and a Rawlings PP...time will tell. It has a great feel, and the "sponginess" seems to be less.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:58 pm 

Thought I'd check in with a bit more info on the Spaldings. Son #2 got my St. Louis Custom Shop glove 11 3/4" basket glove. Perfect for his Pitching, 3rd, and OF duties. I got the 42004. Finally, it has broken in and is now the glove I envisioned it to be. The basket is very firm due to the back support, and it feels smaller than a 12", which makes it suitable for MI and pitching, as well as other things. Feels firmer and more cushioned that the SLCS. So, if you are patient, and want an all round glove, the 42004 is a screaming deal. You can still see them around on Ebay for under $50. Not suitable for Softball, IMO. This glove needs to be beaten up.

Son #2 (HS player) has used the 42001 a lot, but it still holds it's shape. Laces have held up fine, but the actually leather tore a bit around one of the fingers, though it doesn't affect the utility. Still feels wonderful. I would put it up against a Rawlings Pro Preferred for feel.

I don't get all the criticism of the laces. All of them have held up for us so far.