WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: HoH Horween 1st Base Mitt Question..
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:13 pm 

A USA made HoH 1st Basement Horween worth anything? BEA01 date code. PRO-XXFB. Cant read what the Xs are. In black. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: HoH Horween 1st Base Mitt Question..
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:23 am 

Honestly, you are probably better off looking up past auctions on ebay for something similar to gauge a value.
There are some great guys on here who REALLY know they are talking about, most of which have owned every glove from here to the sun
However, to my understanding - a couple years ago the hobby went from a tight knit dedicated group of collectors who seemed happy to help people out to being over run by people coming here and using their knowledge for profit and at the same time driving up the prices on what they enjoyed collecting.
The glove hobby now has kinda gone the way of sneakers. With SLCS's LITERALLY going for upwards of $700 is seems things have changed very much from a few years ago.The biggest difference is kiddos and their Wilsons have changed that dynamic. Some have parents who pay big bucks for multiple gloves- again.. just like sneakers. The cool part is (this i cant speak to first hand) as a result some have grown to appreciate the older gloves and are very respectful and want to learn. BUT they are sadly outnumbered. My point is, this is a great please to learn about stuff about the make, style, specs and history. If you ask monetary questions it likley wont garner much of a response. Its NOT a glove financial advisor forum. Not implying that was your intent.. just saying you may want to try a different angle with questions in the future.

good luck!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:34 pm 

Very good posting ^^^ Mac.
The market (and the forum) have most definitely changed in the last half decade.
If you want to get a price check, post with pics in this section.
Also like Mac mentioned, check out "feeBay" and also do a google search to see what has been out there.
Instagram has definitely changed the market (the way things are sold and pricing) so check that too (but be prepared).

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:34 am 

Thanks!! even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while lol..

That was a version that was written after my initial post was deleted. I hope the OP realizes it wasnt meant to insult his question. I'd recommend any newbie do what I did last year. My interest was solely Rawlings. I read as much of the old VTG forum as was available and then started at the back and moved to current. It was really neat b/c it was essentially the history on the evolution of this hobby in the past few years. I found all the Bob stuff particularity interesting. How lucky this board was to have updates and an outlet to be heard. Even with the BST, at one point is was essentially guys just hooking other boardies up. Some of those gloves for some of those prices.... *drool*. It is a shame though that at some point some of the vets may have gotten deterred because their info and generosity for sharing their know how was essentially used against them and things went sky high affecting their ability to collect the cool stuff. There is SSOO much hype for the color horween (LOL!!!!) in IG that even though half arent aware its not actually a color they just blindly pay big bucks. That being said, it could work in their favor as well as I'd imagine some had a stock pile of 80s and 90s gems with a bunch of SLCS to boot. If the market stays like this they could put their kids through school on their hobby :)

Anyway, its still fun to read this stuff and in a way some of the vets on here have become like Bob. He didnt seem to show up often, but when he did everyone listened, paid attention and was appreciated ( so it seems ) and its good that they havent become completely jaded and totally disengaged. I hope that the next generation of leather heads who are in it for all the right reasons and love the game, the make, patterns, and leather are able to learn from them and do the same for other newbies who just love the hobby for what it is... and not to make a few bucks.

Cheers!

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:53 pm 

Good One BigMac.. The reason I collect is: Everyone in my family play baseball. Excluding my wife, (she always complains about why I need 30+ Baseball glove in my Man Cave). Every time I hand one of my glove to my three sons, its like a Heirloom. They feel connected with me, and also complain when they miss a grounder, they will look at me an point to the glove.. lol. Price of a nice baseball glove have sky rocketed. I can't afford buying each of my kids new gloves every season. And therefore I hunt at FleaBay, Estate Sales, and Convention or Yard Sale to support my (and my son's) terminal illness Without gaining a full knowledge of what gloves are good, and what are garbage, I can't just blindly bid on a glove at auctions, or pay what the seller is asking for at Conventions. I started to study, and with more knowledge I gained, the more immerse I am into the world of Glove collecting. Before I had kids, I only had 1 glove. (My College issued Glove which I still have and no one can ply it away from my dead body). That was all that I needed. I didn't think there are better gloves out there. Man was I wrong. Back to what I was saying, before I had kids.... I used to collect Swiss Time Pieces. You think this hobby is a knowledge pit, try study on what movements are worth collecting. I have made some mistake buying less desirable Swiss Brand Dog Poop and hope I can hand them down to my children as loom but ending up wasting thousands. This is by far the cheaper and safer hobby of the two. So sure, my reason for glove collecting may be the same with other Vet Members here, but I don't want to Lose $ like I did with my Swiss Time Pieces and thats why I asked the question : "do they worth anything??" - Stay away from TAG HEUER, unless its a Monaco HEUER reissue.