WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Re: My Collection of Rawlings HOH Made in USA gloves
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:03 pm 

I was referring to baseball. That being said, id take the 6hf or 6xtc above over 90% of modern gloves. I just love the rv23 spt and feel for my hand and the way they are constructed, the almost feel like an extension of my arm rather than your normal glove. It took many gloves to find these 2 favorites and prior i would have taken the usa. I guess a better way to phrase it is the kiddos on IG etc think these things are antiques. Although I thought they looked normal as im used to them, when you compare them to a modern pattern they do look different and a bit dated. I much prefer the usa leather, but the comfort of some of the new ones IMO there is no comparison. Ya go w what ya like, and thats whats cool abt gloves is youve got many years with many models to choose from:)

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:00 am 

bigmac25 wrote:
Very true!! The most surprising to me was then I broke in the 93 6HF. I like its looks and feel very much, and gamed it for a couple innings last week at 3rd. Normally I'm at 1st, and use an RV23 at 3rd. I had no issues with the 6HF, but liked the feel of the rv23 more. That may just be a preference in models but just the way the 6HF is shaped and having the extra heel legenth like the older gloves made it feel like it was an older glove. I'm still banging the drum for the new DM SPT being pretty close to baseball glove perfection, but these old ones are fun as well. As far as play is concerned I've spoke about my affection for the CMHC pattern. I had a close to new USA one that I got game ready and it got seriously floppy seriously quick and it was MUCH thinner than its Philippines counterpart, which is a very thick glove. I have a minty one that I've just used for couch catch from 98 and have not broken it in out of the fear it will play like my previous one and dont want to waste it. For that reason its prob the only semi shelf glove i'll ever have. I know you guys know what they look like, but for the sake of conversation here is an example of what I mean if its not clear above. The line of gromits makes that extra chunk of a right angle on the lower right of the heel obsolete. BTW, these are the two I use most often and its weird to see just how big of a difference the shape changed from 93-98. Obviously the different patterns matter, but theres no fuzz inside the 6hf and the pinkie finger slot feels different as well but maybe thats due to it being a fast back

Wow look at the difference in the heal on that 6HF! It really is huge. I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. Both nice gloves though. I prefer the slightly shorter fingers of the RV23. When it comes to infield gloves, I love short fingers for whatever reason. Even when the overall dimension of the glove is the same. It just feels like it plays smaller. I dunno. Maybe I think too much about these things. But when you're paying hundreds of dollars for a glove, it really should be exactly what you like.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:20 am 

gb4 wrote:
Are you guys talking about playing softball or baseball?
I've been playing baseball for about 20 years now (rarely play softball) and after trying almost all of the popular models over the past decade I keep going back to my Rawlings USA's for gamers. Both outfield and infield - primarily outfield. Somebody mentioned them not having a pinky reinforcement or extra padding in them - I've never felt the need for that. Maybe that's a softball thing? Bigger, heavier ball so you like the stiffer edges on the gloves? I don't know. But for me it's not about nostalgia, I legitimately think they perform better in the field.

I did mention the lack of pinky insert. It definitely bothers me. I need to have that for my glove to keep it's shape and stay stiff. That being said, I have never played a single inning in the outfield and I've been playing for close to 30 years. I play the corners and I pitch. Oh and that's baseball. Not softball. I can't hit a big ball thrown underhand. It's gotta be over 80 and from 60' 6" or I'll look like a fool (Now I can't reveal who I am or I'll only see eephus pitches in league :p). But even before you mentioned it I was wondering if maybe I wouldn't mind the floppier glove in the OF. Not sure I'll ever know. If I do ever get put out there, I'll be rocking that Louisville Icon in my pics. Which strangely enough, broke-in in about 2 hours. While the 11.5 Icon is stiff as hell and will probably take a long time to break in. Well, you know where to submit your inquiries for USA HOH OF gloves.

As far as the pinky inset goes, I feel it's the only thing that really maintains the shape of the glove (on the finger side) and without it, things can get soggy fast. For the record I do like a little flare if the glove seems conducive to it. Some gloves come with such rounded out pockets that it's almost ridiculous to try to put a flare on it. Not so much nowadays though except on some 12" models.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:44 am 

bigmac25 wrote:
Very true!! The most surprising to me was then I broke in the 93 6HF. I like its looks and feel very much, and gamed it for a couple innings last week at 3rd. Normally I'm at 1st, and use an RV23 at 3rd. I had no issues with the 6HF, but liked the feel of the rv23 more. That may just be a preference in models but just the way the 6HF is shaped and having the extra heel legenth like the older gloves made it feel like it was an older glove. I'm still banging the drum for the new DM SPT being pretty close to baseball glove perfection, but these old ones are fun as well. As far as play is concerned I've spoke about my affection for the CMHC pattern. I had a close to new USA one that I got game ready and it got seriously floppy seriously quick and it was MUCH thinner than its Philippines counterpart, which is a very thick glove. I have a minty one that I've just used for couch catch from 98 and have not broken it in out of the fear it will play like my previous one and dont want to waste it. For that reason its prob the only semi shelf glove i'll ever have. I know you guys know what they look like, but for the sake of conversation here is an example of what I mean if its not clear above. The line of gromits makes that extra chunk of a right angle on the lower right of the heel obsolete. BTW, these are the two I use most often and its weird to see just how big of a difference the shape changed from 93-98. Obviously the different patterns matter, but theres no fuzz inside the 6hf and the pinkie finger slot feels different as well but maybe thats due to it being a fast back[url][URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/IMG_20150831_205824_zps9vwfpteg.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

My 98 Usa 1b may have the same shape, but it is very much thicker than a early 2000's for example
[url][URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150716_104030_zps2llz4e73.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
[url][URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2903_zpsrdy6lyjs.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
[url][URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_3571_zpsnd4kcyas.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

Opps, I meant the 98cmhcb2 is much THINNER and the 01/02s are much THICKER

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:00 pm 

I was very generously given the oppertunity to pick up a glove from the legendary Canadian find...
here it is :)[url][URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151021_125932_zpsdqbfxdep.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
[url][URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151021_130044_zps1ygyjxft.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
[url][URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151021_132128_zpsda55kv1v.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
[url][URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/andrewhasseler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151021_132327_zpshibapngw.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

Gotta love the stiffness and all that LEGAL white powder!!!! :)