WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Birch
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:23 pm 

I know awhile back some here were looking for larger barrel bats with a bit more drop weight, so thought I'd post this up about some LS birch bats that the pro dept. just turned for winter ball.
While the swing weight felt a little lighter than the equivalent maple bats in the same turning models, the performance was closer to maple than ash, as they had that 'dense' maple feel with really nice pop and performance. But the real surprise came when we weighed them up... even though they were some of the largest barrel bats currently legal in pro ball (I13 and S318 turning models) they were weighing in at a -2.5/-3, which is quite a bit lighter than the equivalent LS pro dept. maple models in the same length.

If you can find them, birch may be the answer for the guys looking to swing big barrel maple bats but not looking for that big barrel maple weight.

Post subject: Re: Birch
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:39 am 

Good to know. I'll definitely be on the look out for one!

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:10 pm 

I think in pro ball birch may replace ash as the maple alternative because of it's maple-like performance (guys like Trumbo, Hamilton, Wright, etc. have been swinging birch), and as the ash guys retire (like Jeter, and his ash P72).

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:28 pm 

Let's not forget European Beech, which is now approved for MLB and tests better than maple. MINE just has to get their stuff together and get it in players hands.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:16 am 

Beech is some good stuff. I swung Mine throughout fall ball this year and it impressed me. (and my Mine is still in one piece!)

So the MLB went from 3 legal wood species (Maple, ash, and oak) to 5 (maple, ash, oak, beech, birch) withing a couple years? Cool.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:44 pm 

Birch definitely catching on this season. Cargo turning his season around in July and August and sitting top 10 in most offensive categories in the NL since his switch to birch, is not going unnoticed around the league.

Crazy thing about swinging birch is that they actually seem to get hotter as you get more hits on them, like the composite bats we used in school and travel ball.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:58 pm 

Birch is awesome. I had a custom turn made by LaCasse. I love how durable it is also. I've always wanted to try the Beech but swinging anything longer than 32.5 for me feels huge. I can attest to the increase in pop of birch as time goes on. I actually had my birch (lightly) flame tempered and it works great. After 2 full years no flaking or anything.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:20 pm 

From conversations with the local guy I used to deal with, you get the best of both worlds. The density of maple with the weight and whip of ash. My boys been using birch for 7 years now