WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: all-star trainer mitt
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:37 pm 

Has anyone seen one of these: http://baseball.epicsports.com/prod/14810/all-star-the-equalizer-baseball-training-mitts.html

How big is the training web? I was wondering how hard it would be to "make" a training mitt like this out of an old mitt by taking off the web on say a mitt like this http://baseball.epicsports.com/prod/14556/player-preferred-32-5-catchers-baseball-gloves.html

As anyone seen one of these in person or tried to make their own training mitt for their kids?

Post subject: Re: all-star trainer mitt
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:04 pm 

I'm all for training and training tools, but since I pretty much never see my son or any of the other catchers I've played with/worked with catching balls in the web of their catchers mitts (unless it's a fastball sailing over their heads), I'm wondering how beneficial this really is.
As long as the mitt is broken in and the pocket is formed, it feels far more comfortable and natural to catch the ball in the pocket of a catcher's mitt than the web (unless it's a fastball sailing over your head), so I'm not really sure what the purpose of removing the web serves.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:20 pm 

Wouldn't the purpose of the glove to work on focusing catching the ball in the pocket? I'm not a catcher, but isn't part of framing an outside pitch to a righty catching the ball in the web, so your glove moves as little as possible?

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:50 pm 

While some high level coaches/catching instructors hate the word 'framing', proper 'receiving' of a pitch involves elbow/thumb/glove positioning before the pitch arrives (ball still caught in pocket), so I can't really think of any way that having a webless training glove will help with that.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:41 pm 

I would think there would be benefit with drills for blocking the ball, so you don't have cathers dropping to block but just trying to scoop up the ball with the edge of the web, and then missing the ball because they tried to catch it with the web, not the pocket. like at the very end of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWwzP87-b7w

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:29 pm 

Not meaning to be argumentative, but I've taken part in and run catchers drills like those before, and nothing would be different using your actual catchers mitt.
In the receiving drill he's catching the ball in the pocket like most catchers do anyway, and in the blocking drill his mitt drops down and stays open and becomes just another part of his body like his chest, so there's no scooping involved. Watch the catcher in the video... when he drops and blocks his mitt is completely open, so it doesn't really matter if his mitt has a web or not.

If you watched a video of a catcher running those drills with his regular mitt who had never heard of or practiced with a webless training mitt, they should look no different.