WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Bionic Tech?
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:27 pm 

I picked up a super cheap trapper XPROFB and it is not breaking in as expected. I did a quick google search and found a reference to "Bionic Technology" and some marketing on the slugger.com site, but no real explanation of what that means apart from somehow making the glove easier to close (and supposedly open -- more on this below) and that there is also some sort of extra padding in the palm.

The palm padding is not really noticeable. There appears to be a thin layer of some soft filler, similar to the padding in a catcher's chest protector -- maybe it also stiffens with impact the way the chest protector padding does.

The thumb is the real problem though. I have noticed that there is an extended plastic stay or insert in the outer wall of the thumb -- and by extended, I mean that it extends almost halfway across the bottom of the thumb/index crotch! I guess theoretically since the entire thumb is kind of encased in a stiff plastic sleeve, putting any pressure anywhere with the thumb causes the glove to close quite easily.

However I'm finding that the same tech actually makes it harder to open the glove. This can be mitigated by "squishing down" the web and index finger toward the palm, forcing the glove open, similar to an infielder's glove. It is annoying tho... and fatiguing on the thumb, having to constantly pull the thumb outwards to keep the glove open.

I'm already thinking of replacing the web and lacing on this glove -- I may take the opportunity while the glove is open to get rid of or alter some of the "bionic tech". Anyone else have one of these bionic gloves? I'd be interested to hear from others.

Ken