WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Classic Pro X Coffee Leather
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:46 pm 

Did a forum search and didn't find much on the Classic Pro X Series from a few years ago.

Have a 12" pitcher's model in all coffee leather coming. Been wanting to try a Mizuno for kicks.

Any impressions of the quality of the Classic Pro X Series and coffee leather? Comparable to what other gloves/leathers?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Classic Pro X Coffee Leather
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:33 pm 

I have the same exact model (GCP 10X). It's a great glove with some very novel design features. One of my favorite Mizuno models of all time along with the MIJ Classic Pro's. I keep it as sort of a bell weather with which to judge all Mizuno gloves.

IMO, it compares very favorably with the current production Pro Limited Edition's. The Pro Limited's are a little stiffer but that's about the only significant difference. It makes me wonder how Mizuno has the nerve to ask $500 for them when the CP X's were $200.

One interesting point:
At one point, Mizuno also made a limited run of Classic Pro X models based on the sponsored pro using that model. They came numbered & with the autograph of the respective pro stitched into the glove. In the case of the GCP 10X, that was Tom Glavine. As I remember, they retailed for $599. I was able to compare both the stock & limited model with each other & outside of the numbering & autograph, could find absolutely no differences. Take that for what it's worth........

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:15 pm 

I got the 12" model first - a GCP10X, as you mentioned (basket web, finger hood).

Right after that I got the GCP63X - 11.5" modified trap. Both were new with tags.

The GCP63X leather is much softer and a little lighter brown. The GCP10X was darker and shinier, and significantly stiffer overall. So, there is significant variation in the coffee leather.

Sold the GCP10X, mainly because the hand opening was too tight. I thought it was a nice glove though. I have the other one for sale locally, because I really have no use for it.

One thing I noticed about both gloves is that the finger felt is less dense/rigid than HOH models, although the thumb and pinky seem just as stiff. I have an old World Win and it's finger felt is also less dense/rigid than HOH models. Maybe it's a Mizuno thing.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:14 pm 

adam2434 wrote:
One thing I noticed about both gloves is that the finger felt is less dense/rigid than HOH models, although the thumb and pinky seem just as stiff. I have an old World Win and it's finger felt is also less dense/rigid than HOH models. Maybe it's a Mizuno thing.

It's definitely a Mizuno thing! You're never going to find a Mizuno that feels like a HOH! The newer models are even worse in this regard.