WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Re: AllStar infielders glove First Impression
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:29 pm 

These gloves are becoming more and more intriguing for me. Although, they do say "System Seven" on the side of the glove---couldn't they have just put "Deep Space Nine" instead? Nevertheless, I may be swayed to consider one if they keep getting great reviews.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:17 pm 

Gables wrote:
If I can't convince him to keep it, I will simply return the glove for a full refund. I must say that the number of people who have offered to buy it have solidified my belief that he should keep the All Star and return the Mizuno. :ugeek: :mrgreen:

Having experienced the GXF10 woes of my buddy, I think that's actually the wiser move. The GXF10 is the successor to the GXF22 in the Mizuno lineup. They are basically identical execpt for the leather (Classic Pro vs. Global Elite). The GXF22 was way stiffer and had better leather IMO. If the Mizuno mitt were a GXF22, it would be a tough decision...but since it's a GXF10 it's basically a no-brainer: Keep the All-Star.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:53 pm 

MrMoonlight wrote:
Gables wrote:
If I can't convince him to keep it, I will simply return the glove for a full refund. I must say that the number of people who have offered to buy it have solidified my belief that he should keep the All Star and return the Mizuno. :ugeek: :mrgreen:

Having experienced the GXF10 woes of my buddy, I think that's actually the wiser move. The GXF10 is the successor to the GXF22 in the Mizuno lineup. They are basically identical execpt for the leather (Classic Pro vs. Global Elite). The GXF22 was way stiffer and had better leather IMO. If the Mizuno mitt were a GXF22, it would be a tough decision...but since it's a GXF10 it's basically a no-brainer: Keep the All-Star.

Many thanks for your comments. Your insight and recommendations have been very helpful. If my son insists on returning the All Star is there another first baseman mitt that you or anybody else can recommend? Perhaps, a Rawlings?

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:07 pm 

Gables wrote:
Many thanks for your comments. Your insight and recommendations have been very helpful. If my son insists on returning the All Star is there another first baseman mitt that you or anybody else can recommend? Perhaps, a Rawlings?

Funny you should ask. Here ya go...arguably the best 1B mitt pattern ever developed for baseball in fairly decent leather that breaks in relatively quick:

http://www.rawlingsgear.com/baseball/baseball-gloves/prodctdcc.html

If you do a little shopping you can find these for under 200 bucks. About the same price as a GXF10 but a superior mitt in all respects, IMO. You simply can't go wrong with a DCT.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:02 pm 

Funny you should ask. Here ya go...arguably the best 1B mitt pattern ever developed for baseball in fairly decent leather that breaks in relatively quick:

If you do a little shopping you can find these for under 200 bucks. About the same price as a GXF10 but a superior mitt in all respects, IMO. You simply can't go wrong with a DCT.[/quote]

Too funny. I considered the DCT but because his current mitt is a Mizuno we decided on FX10. I will definitely consider it. Thanks again.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:07 pm 

Gables wrote:

If you do a little shopping you can find these for under 200 bucks. About the same price as a GXF10 but a superior mitt in all respects, IMO. You simply can't go wrong with a DCT.

I considered the DTC but elected to go with the GXF10 since my son's current mitt is a Mizuno. I will mention it to him and he can decide between the DTC and All Star mitts. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:49 pm 

Anyone else have any updates with this glove? Any pics maybe? Really considering getting this glove and would love to hear some more feedback.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:57 pm 
Gold Glover

Just tried the 11.5 on at a store. Not good. The pattern was way too long and the index middle and ring fingers felt flimsy. Glad i saw these in person so i wasnt tempted to order. The palm has a palm pad sewn in and you can feel the stitching. Only saving grace was the thumb and pinky were stiff.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:28 am 

BUMP

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:33 am 

Just got this glove at christmas, I must say its nothing like the description the poster above stated. Right out of the box, as stiff as any glove I've bought before. Although at first inspection, it did appear like the index finger was abnormally long which I was initially worried about. But once I started to form it and bend the fingers etc. the finger appears normal. Also the leather is amazing, so soft yet very durable at the same time. I got it on the 25th and from then to now, I've used my mallet on it daily, or just played catch. But its almost broken in. I'd say another 5-10 days and it will be good to go.

Only 2 complaints I have are pretty minor. One, the fingers are only single welded unlike the a2000 which is double welded. I fear that in the future the fingers could get a little flimsy. Lastly, the laces on it aren't the greatest. They stretch out a lot. I wouldn't call them weak, but there definitely not strong. Considering this is All-Stars first attempt at making an infielders glove, I must say I am pleasantly surprised.

Overall I'd rate this glove 8.5 out of 10. Great glove so far, I'd definitely recommend it.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:23 pm 

Any additional experiences with these?

In terms of quality, stiffness, and thickness - how does the leather and felt compare to some recent HOH and A2000 models?