WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Re: Waiting on wheat
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:14 pm 

No problem mixing the colors. The wheat is from Horween and this is the same exact stuff used by Rawlings for all the golden tan HOH gloves in the 1980s and 1990s. QUite literally, this is the good stuff.

But just as literally, it will take you a year to break it in... if you work at it. It will break in more quickly if you ask them to skip the palm pad (which I think is too deadening anyway).

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:18 pm 

Thanks guys, is this leather the same as the 'CRS' leathers offered by customglove.com?

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:18 pm 

No, the DuraTan is better. But I'd take the CRS over a OT leather.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:11 pm 

So it sounds like i should just wait for the DuraTan aka good Horween

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:29 am 

If you want tan, then yes. The DT black they have in stock right now is not Horween, but is just as nice. I ahve been waiting for the tan too, but may switch to black as I want to start working on it.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:29 pm 

Just talked to GS. Horween still does not have a run of the wheat glove leather planned. GS is frustrated and is considering cancelling the order, but I am not sure what that means. It may be that the only DT available going forward would be the black. If you call them, beg them to just keep waiting on Horween or to look for another tannery that offers a high quality tan.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:23 pm 

Looks like they are done with Horween for a while. Instead, they have found a Japanese tanned leather that is extremely similar in color and feel, although Bart tells me it is a bit softer than the Horween (which was a PITA to work with). It is nowhere near as soft as the blonde, but shouldn't take a year to break in either.

Here is what it looks like.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:47 pm 

That tan reminds me of the leather on J.J. Hardy's glove.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:55 pm 

Rous wrote:
Looks like they are done with Horween for a while. Instead, they have found a Japanese tanned leather that is extremely similar in color and feel, although Bart tells me it is a bit softer than the Horween (which was a PITA to work with). It is nowhere near as soft as the blonde, but shouldn't take a year to break in either.

Here is what it looks like.

The black Duratan usa that i have isnt horween (made late 2012) and it is still very stiff. Rous, in your opinion do you think the wheat will be equally as stiff as the black glove i already have or softer?

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:06 pm 

Not as stiff as the current black. Still the overall range of stiffness is pretty wide. Even the blond ehtey call "extra soft" is stiffer than the current Nokona buffalo.

Bart told me that it is tough to make a glove that looks good out of that, stiff-as-a-board Horween, but it will be much easier with the new stuff. The Wilson A2000 and HOH I pick up in stores all feel game-ready compared to my Glovesmiths I have been working over for months. So I kind of welcome a break-in that does not give me tennis elbow!!! But I ahve to be honest that I am also considering black with a tan interior. (partly because of your review of the black).

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:56 am 

Rous wrote:
Not as stiff as the current black. Still the overall range of stiffness is pretty wide. Even the blond ehtey call "extra soft" is stiffer than the current Nokona buffalo.

Bart told me that it is tough to make a glove that looks good out of that, stiff-as-a-board Horween, but it will be much easier with the new stuff. The Wilson A2000 and HOH I pick up in stores all feel game-ready compared to my Glovesmiths I have been working over for months. So I kind of welcome a break-in that does not give me tennis elbow!!! But I ahve to be honest that I am also considering black with a tan interior. (partly because of your review of the black).

When will it be available to order? (The wheat)

If it is already i apologize, i havent checked.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:20 pm 

He said that they'd be putting it up on the form in a week or so. I am not sure it they just got enough for samples or if they have an entire shipment in stock already. They seem to get a container in about every 3-4 weeks and this is coming in with the Asian made gloves.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:46 pm 

What are the odds of a leather, not black, comparable to the DT being available anytime soon? Haven't we been waiting at least eight months?

One other question: Are they currently making replacement webs with the DT dark tan and wheat?

Unread postPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:31 am 

For a nice tan, the new Japanese tanned tan color is all there is. Horween just stopped making the wheat color GS liked. That means that it is the only color available for webs too. I do think they have enough scraps around for labels, but that is it.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:43 pm 

Rous wrote:
For a nice tan, the new Japanese tanned tan color is all there is. Horween just stopped making the wheat color GS liked. That means that it is the only color available for webs too. I do think they have enough scraps around for labels, but that is it.

Thanks Rous it had not shown up on the form so I assumed it wasn't yet available.
Doesn't matter anyway I went with the DT black.