WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: 1125 Custom USA
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:47 pm 

My son just received this glove yesterday.

Bart was great to work with. I called him a few times -- once to check on the availability of the DT Wheat (as mentioned in another thread, it's out of stock but there was enough for the I-web and trim), once to double check on some options and a couple of times just to see how things were going.

We ordered on 31-Aug and the glove shipped on 26-Sep via USPS Priority International (to Canada). It arrived on 3-Oct.

My son is very happy with how it turned out with one exception -- there was a large fold in the lining on the inside of the pinkie. Since he puts two fingers in the pinkie well, this was very uncomfortable. I called Bart this morning and he made a few suggestions -- I've managed to shove most of the excess leather either up into the finger or down toward the wrist. We'll see how he likes it when he gets home today. I'll send it back for Bart to fix if necessary.

Anyway, on to the pics. Note that he's already started breaking in the glove so the palm and fingers don't look as pristine as they did 24 hours ago.

Oh, in case anyone's interested in seeing what the problem was...

Ken

Post subject: Re: 1125 Custom USA
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:20 pm 

Nice looking glove. I have not seen shearling on a USA custom. Special request? Put it to fit a smaller wrist? Real wool?

Did you tell Bart about the two in the pinkie stall before he made it? They have a way of making more room if you ask for it.

I have had a few gloves with uncomfortable spots on the lining, but that resolves after the leather softens. But this may be worse than that. Is it ok with just the pinkie in there?

Is that the oil-tanned black or the DuraTan? If you can weigh it, I'd love to know how much it weighs.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:37 pm 

Rous wrote:
Nice looking glove. I have not seen shearling on a USA custom. Special request? Put it to fit a smaller wrist? Real wool?

Did you tell Bart about the two in the pinkie stall before he made it? They have a way of making more room if you ask for it.

I have had a few gloves with uncomfortable spots on the lining, but that resolves after the leather softens. But this may be worse than that. Is it ok with just the pinkie in there?

Is that the oil-tanned black or the DuraTan? If you can weigh it, I'd love to know how much it weighs.

The shearling was not requested but Ryan is fine with it. I suspect it is synthetic but have no way of knowing. I'll ask Bart if I speak with him again.

There is actually plenty of room for the pinkie and ring finger -- it's just the fold that was resting against the knuckles, causing the discomfort. And yes, that fold was a problem even with just the pinkie in there. I've managed to work most of it out by pushing the excess leather either up or down the stall. It wasn't going to resolve itself.

It's DT Black and DT Wheat. Not sure how I'd go about weighing it -- maybe next time I'm buying groceries I'll bring it with me. :P I'd say it's about the same weight as my TPX Pro Flare and quite a bit lighter than my old Mizuno GMVP 1152 (granted that one does have an extra 1/2" of leather).

Ken

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:15 pm 

Thanks. I have a 12" DT black Glovesmith and it is a few oz heavier than my 12.25" DT wheat glove. My 12 y.o. son loves black gloves, and the weight is the reason I have not considered getting him one. Then again, he is a pitcher and every oz. counts on a come-backer.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:09 pm 

Dirty 30 wrote:
Wow, very nice glove there. I know I would be super excited if I got a glove like that when I was a kid.

Me too.

And he paid for it himself. He saved up for a *long* time -- didn't even want a birthday present this year, just contributions to his glove fund. I know he appreciates it that much more.

Ken

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:19 pm 

Update: The fix is good! We went out and played some catch -- he has no issues with the pinkie stall now, which saves me some shipping and him at least a couple of weeks of waiting. Plus I get my TPX back ;)

Ken.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:00 pm 

did you specifically ask to have the palm laces come through the lining? my glovesmiths have the laceless lining. sharp glove, another winner by bart.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:38 pm 

Looks like a smaller sewn in palm pad instead of the usual full palm pad (easier to close/break in this way). Without the lining for the lace to grab, the lace has to go through. But this is just a guess, I am sure we'll get the real answer soon.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:15 am 

Congratulations on a nice glove! Love the color combination and the embossed Glovesmith logos on the wrist and thumb - understated and cool. Great choice!

I can only imagine how much fun it was to work on this project with your son - designing the glove, ordering it, waiting for it, opening the box, trying it on, and playing catch. That glove should last for years and make for lots of great memories.

Time to start saving for the next glove...

If I were to order a custom glove, I'd probably go with Glovesmith over Rawlings, Wilson, or Mizuno. The SLCS is inconsistent and their quality control is horrible (see the many posts on this forum). Wilson and Mizuno are too expensive. Glovesmith is a small company that offers:

-unique and exclusive gloves at a fair price
-gloves that look handmade, not mass produced
-quality second to none
-true customization, not just leather colors and embroidery
-excellent customer service before AND after the sale.

Of course, Nokona should be starting their custom glove program soon, and we'll just have to wait and see...

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:50 am 

vespr wrote:
did you specifically ask to have the palm laces come through the lining? my glovesmiths have the laceless lining. sharp glove, another winner by bart.

Rous wrote:
Looks like a smaller sewn in palm pad instead of the usual full palm pad (easier to close/break in this way). Without the lining for the lace to grab, the lace has to go through. But this is just a guess, I am sure we'll get the real answer soon.

I didn't make any request wrt the palm aside from specifying no double laced heel (which I always hated about my Mizuno). Not sure if the palm pad is smaller than usual. I ordered "requires break-in".

Ken.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:26 am 

The usual palm pad extends from the heel up into the fingers and from the thumb to the pinkie. With all that leather in there, esp through the hinge, the leather feels 3/16" thick and break-in can take years. The upside is the lace free lining which offers the benefit of not having any holes for sweat to start breaking down the leather. Because I am not a fan of palm pads and because the leather they use (for both lining and shell) is pretty thick, I had them skip it for my lat glove. I can see the sewing for a palm pad, but it doesn't extend as far as the palm lacing. That makes for a much more functional glove that he won't outgrow before it breaks in. The waxy black DT leather is probably as well suited to repelling sweat as any leather, but having just relaced a couple of gloves with sweat damaged lining, I might still suggest a coating a Vaseline for the lining (Nokona Leather Treatment and Vinci Conditioner are both Vaseline).

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:25 am 

Rous wrote:
The usual palm pad extends from the heel up into the fingers and from the thumb to the pinkie. With all that leather in there, esp through the hinge, the leather feels 3/16" thick and break-in can take years. The upside is the lace free lining which offers the benefit of not having any holes for sweat to start breaking down the leather. Because I am not a fan of palm pads and because the leather they use (for both lining and shell) is pretty thick, I had them skip it for my lat glove. I can see the sewing for a palm pad, but it doesn't extend as far as the palm lacing. That makes for a much more functional glove that he won't outgrow before it breaks in. The waxy black DT leather is probably as well suited to repelling sweat as any leather, but having just relaced a couple of gloves with sweat damaged lining, I might still suggest a coating a Vaseline for the lining (Nokona Leather Treatment and Vinci Conditioner are both Vaseline).

Thanks for the explanation. I learn something every time I log onto this site.

I'm guessing I didn't get the extra thick pad, but I wouldn't want the palm any thicker than it already is. I've had laces through the palm/liner on every glove I've ever owned so honestly I didn't even think to ask for anything different. I've also never had a problem with sweat breaking down the leather (AFAIK) but I don't doubt you when you say it could happen... maybe I just sweat less than others, who knows. My son's last glove (GG1075) shows no deterioration in the palm or lining after 4 years -- he's just outgrown it.

Still, it can't hurt to add a bit of protection. I'll look into the vaseline idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ken

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:02 pm 

The extent of sweat damage depends on a lot of things (quality of the liner, how much you play, the temp and humidity you play under). Over the last 20 years I have lived in North Carolina and Texas and my hands sweat a lot. Also, a big difference in playing one softball game a week or practicing or playing 6 hours per week. I don't expect you'll have any issue with the DT black lining, but those few spots in the lining where the lace does a tight U-turn to go out the same hole in the shell it came in are particularly susceptible.

The lace free lining is generally the default, but for some reason (and I am sure it is a good one) Bart didn't do it for you.

Even with the lace free lining, I give the lining of my gloves a light coat of Vaseline at the beginning of each season. Most of my softball games this year started with temps over 95 and practices were always > 95 deg.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:02 pm 

looks like a cano spalding