WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Nike manufacture
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:22 pm 

Forgive me for my ignorant question. I'm an old school type of guy when it comes to gloves, mainly because of my age. I grew up when Rawlings and Wilson were the only two really prominent makers of premium gloves. Who makes Nike ballgloves? Do they make their own? I've been under the impression that Nike subcontracted the manufacture of their gloves. Specifically, I've wondered if Mizuno makes 'em. If this has been covered before on this forum forgive me. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Nike manufacture
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:53 pm 

Bump. No answer. i realize it's not an exciting question, but someone out there knows who makes Nike.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:47 pm 

It's a good question that I would like to know.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:53 pm 

As far as I'm aware Nike makes their gloves. Some in China, some in Japan.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:53 pm 

I doubt the lack of replies has anything to do with the "excitement factor" of the question, I think it's just that no one really knows the answers. As someone who has used Nike gloves as gamers and has also been curious, I can only offer this limited info:

Nike has had gloves produced by subcontractors in Vietnam, China, Japan and Taiwan, depending on the SKU. I've been told there are at least a dozen or so facilities in China that manufacture baseball gloves for various companies worldwide. The Mizuno facility in Shanghai (which I had the opportunity to tour back in 2008 while on a business trip) is wholly owned by Mizuno and does not make gloves for Nike - or anyone else for that matter. It's an ISO certified state-of-the-art facility (you could have eaten off the floors there) and it's pretty amazing. All you people with visions of pre-pubescent little girls cranking out ballgloves 18 hours a day in some dark, dank sweatshop for pennies an hour are waaaay off the mark. That place makes Nokona look like a sweatshop. But I digress...

I'm not certain which factories in China produce Nike gloves but I've been told by people in the biz that those that do are pretty strictly monitored by Nike for QC and everything has to be done exactly according to spec to ensure a consistent product. I don't know how much truth there is to this, but I've also heard that Japanese Nikes (like the Sha|do line) are made in the same facility that made Wilsons before the majority of the Wilson production was moved to Vietnam. I've always found the midrange to high-end Nike gloves to have very good workmanship and materials, so whoever is building them is doing a pretty good job.

I really don't have much more info than that, sorry. Maybe someone else with more knowledge will chime in.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:32 pm 

I'd also like to know where nike gloves are made. From the many that I have owned, they are all very well made.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:51 am 

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen. At least I know quite a bit more than I did before. With MLB previously dominated by Rawlings, Wilson and Mizuno, Nike gained a pretty fast foothold. You see the "swoosh" everywhere. I have to admit the high end Nikes look pretty damn nice.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:41 pm 

I have a nike DEP trap and I love it. I def want more gloves from this manufacturer

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:17 pm 

If you ever get a chance to check out one of their SHA|DO Elite gloves like the one Matt Kemp uses, you'll never look at Nike gloves the same way again.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:58 am 

Not sure about their China manufacturer but their high-end gloves are made at Atoms Japan. Check the video at following link. The video is slow but interesting.

http://tvpot.daum.net/v/lf04ycEH1kY$

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:59 pm 

nama wrote:
Not sure about their China manufacturer but their high-end gloves are made at Atoms Japan. Check the video at following link. The video is slow but interesting.

http://tvpot.daum.net/v/lf04ycEH1kY$

Interesting... shows the difference between high end Japanese gloves made in Japan (glove made by a single craftsman, who does everything from the selection/cutting of the leather through the final lacing), and the assembly line process of gloves made in China. The funny thing is that many of Mizuno's assembly line workers in China have never owned a baseball glove, or even played so much as an inning of baseball... when they first see the catcher's mitt's they'll be making, many of them think they have been selected to make Mizuno bicycle seats.