WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Re: Nike Won't Do Customs Without A Contract
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:37 pm 

kking93 wrote:
Rawlings,Mizuno and Wilson certainly offer the same deals to major league players as Nike.

I am pretty sure the whole point of this thread was to point out that this statement is not correct.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:51 pm 

There was a great Rawlings ad in comic books in the '70's or '80's, where they described their position specific gloves (with cartoon depictions of players, and all). When it came to their pitcher's gloves, the ad stated that they needed to have a solid web to keep hitters guessing as to what pitch was coming, and it had to be big enough (for protection) for when they guessed right!

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:04 pm 

JoeBraga wrote:
bosox7 wrote:

As a pitcher I feel that I need to respond to that. While I do 100% agree to you that pitchers to provide a lot more opportunity for brand recognition, I feel that (especially on a glove collector forum) it is a huge fallacy to say that pitchers don't care as much about their gloves as position players (I know the response of MLB players get free gloves and I will contest it as well). I personally keep my pitching gloves in a separate bag alone, just to keep them in ever better shape than my fielding gloves. The glove is the last chance you have to "reset" your grip before sending the ball. I have three "gamers" that I use regularly because certain days I like the feel over the others. You will never see a speck of dirt that I havent tried to take off on any of them. I know I may be a minority, but all nine positions take care of their gloves how they want to. It is completely independent of what position they are playing. I know I pay for my gloves and MLB players do not, but again, the glove is the pitchers last chance to salvage a botched grips. And believe me, when you are 60' 6" from the bat, you want to have a glove you can get to the ball quick (I will not say that is an argument that pitchers care more about their gloves). Again, I agree that it is more common for pitchers to have Nike gloves, but that is not because they don't care as much. (Think Jon Lester and his LiveStrong glove)

First off all, you contradict yourself by stating that pitchers (and yourself) care just as much about gloves as position players, then continuing on with "I know I may be a minority."
Secondly, a pitcher could "reset" the ball without wearing a glove. It is hard to imagine a pitcher who's glove hardly has to do anything but hide a ball or knock it down caring as much about a glove as a position player who has to make full speed catches, only to remove the ball almost immediately to throw.

I don't have any actual polling data on this topic, but just using basic reason I would infer that pitchers (in general) are less particular about their gloves. Anecdotally, it also seems that pitchers (again, on average) switch gloves more than most position players.

Whoa! Easy! I stating my opinion while not attacking the author of the post. If you read, I may be a minority by how much I care for my gloves. Not that I do at all. And I see you are part of the "pitchers only throw the ball" bandwagon. I will not give into that but I will say its nice to see individualists show their true selves in a team sport.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:37 pm 

nobody has noticed that you go on ratuken and order a NIKE CUSTOM GLOVE, i dont understand all the lingo but look up nike gloves and the first selection is a nike custom glove order, little over 600 bucks

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:52 pm 

FYI Jimmy Rollins is sporting a Mizuno glove now

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:48 pm 

Last edited by 3rdBaseLockedDown on Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:14 pm 

I think it's been shown that Dustin Ackley uses a Rawlings glove disguised as a Nike glove. In the thread, "MLB 2012" someone posted a picture of his glove and the oval R is blacked out. Here's the same picture.
http://tinyurl.com/95uedx2

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:57 pm 

Two more "non-pitchers" currently brandishing Nike leather: Dan Uggla and Yonder Alonso.
Derrek Lee also used a Nike mitt nearly his entire career (he didn't latch onto a team this season...but he hasn't officially "retired" yet).

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:22 pm 

Chris Carter for Oakland has used a DEP first base mitt all season, the first one of them I've seen used and it looks way nice

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:46 pm 

BallplayerGrover wrote:
Chris Carter for Oakland has used a DEP first base mitt all season, the first one of them I've seen used and it looks way nice

By golly, you're right...

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:33 pm 

I think Matt Kemp and Andrew McCutchen both use Nike gloves as well.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:18 pm 

pw2B wrote:
I think Matt Kemp and Andrew McCutchen both use Nike gloves as well.

Yup... they both use Japanese made, Nike SHA|DO gloves.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:04 pm 

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:36 pm 

Drew Stubbs as well

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:59 pm 

Nike does do custom gloves for college players. I was issued 2 all black Sabathia gloves five years ago. I got to dig through my computer now for pics...