Where they are manufactured 11%  11%  [ 13 ]
Leather quality 20%  20%  [ 24 ]
Service 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
Option available 18%  18%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 122
 Post subject: Re: Wilson Customs Poll
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:18 pm 

Wake wrote:
Wonder how many Customs Wilson has actually sold since the program was launched?

If you look at wilson's facebook page there seems to be alot of people who have bought a custom wilson glove.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:38 am 

For me, to spend this kind of money on a glove I'd need to use it on the softball field and none of the current patterns are what I am looking for. The XLC is close, but something about the shape doesn't do it for me (it may just be the web -- what happened to the XLO?). The 1799 would be perfect, but the hand opening is not adjustable enough -- WAY too big.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:38 pm 

I just ordered one a few days ago from Don Morton for $300 +5ish for shipping, which is a $50 savings from the actual site...time to test one of these babies out!!!

I'm sure glovefeen mentioned this somewhere already, but just send the glove specs and an email to them in advance to get your order in.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:17 am 

flashem wrote:
I just ordered one a few days ago from Don Morton for $300 +5ish for shipping, which is a $50 savings from the actual site...time to test one of these babies out!!!

I'm sure glovefeen mentioned this somewhere already, but just send the glove specs and an email to them in advance to get your order in.

where'd you go to get the glove cheaper?

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:25 pm 

Flashem - Really happy it worked out for you. They're so accommodating when it comes to customs; Wilson or Rawlings.

iArnold12 - Shoot them an email at sales@ballgloves.com

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:09 am 

Rous wrote:
For me, to spend this kind of money on a glove I'd need to use it on the softball field and none of the current patterns are what I am looking for. The XLC is close, but something about the shape doesn't do it for me (it may just be the web -- what happened to the XLO?). The 1799 would be perfect, but the hand opening is not adjustable enough -- WAY too big.

You can easily modify the hand opening on the 1799.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:33 am 

I would not buy a glove made in Vietnam. Wilson is the only company I know off making pro level gloves in Vietnam. In addition, for $350 there two many other options. I travel a lot and I have seen some Wilson 1799's made in Japan at some of the sporting good stores, I think I will buy one. I like that glove design. Whoever owns a Wilson custom, please let us know how the gloves old up over the season.

Funny, a catcher from my high school switch from Wilson 2403 to the Rawlings LTF; because Wilson started making their gloves in Japan. At the time Rawlings made their HOH in Ava, MO. YES, he made it to the pros and won a few gold gloves.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:39 am 

web gem wrote:
Rous wrote:

You can easily modify the hand opening on the 1799.

Web Gem, I really liked the review you did at SBF. I'd probably want the opening at 3.75" (where you have reduced it to 4") and I worry that it would throw off the fit of the glove to punch that extra hole even further over. Also though, an extra $100 (through ballgloves.com) to choose leather colors is a bit steep. I hope "outing" Don's doesn't get them in trouble and send the price up.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:36 pm 

Two things are holding me back:

1) Inexplicably, blond is not offered in binding or welting. This is even though Wilson actually produces retail gloves with a blond binding (e.g., the B2-BL). I'd like to put together a Freddy Sanchez model but can't because they don't offer a blond binding.

2) I need to see actual photos that show the color of leather and laces I'm getting. If I'm putting down $300+ for a custom that can't be returned, I need to be 100% sure there won't be any surprises. The photos of customs I see here are nice, but it would be better if Wilson displayed photos of all the different colors available.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:05 am 

502 to Right wrote:
2) I need to see actual photos that show the color of leather and laces I'm getting. If I'm putting down $300+ for a custom that can't be returned, I need to be 100% sure there won't be any surprises. The photos of customs I see here are nice, but it would be better if Wilson displayed photos of all the different colors available.

Then what you're asking for is actual samples of the leather, because a photo is just as relative as their online preview tool. The camera settings, lighting, color settings on your computer, monitor itself, and more all play a role in what is displayed to you. Colors you see on your computer are not the same as what I or anyone else sees. I think the one good thing about the Wilson custom program is the builder, its probably the best one available on the market.

Hopefully this is just a pilot program, and once their process is streamlined and their factory is comfortable, they'll introduce new features like the ability to customize webs and maybe even pattern lengths. That'd put them at the top, and very much worth the premium price tag.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:00 am 

Lso would b nice to adjust sizing.. just an example would b to make a custome el3 12 inches long.. I think this would b a good options to add

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:27 am 

Howdy All;

I'm still a bit of a throw back. I graduated High School in June of 1968.
1/8 of my graduating class either didn't come back from there verticaly
or were missing major body parts when they did come home. Don't think
I'll buy anything that comes from that part of Asia. Period.
Sorry, just my own stubborn attiude.

hank

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:16 pm 

Those who know me are aware that I am very much a Rawlings-guy, and I admit that I haven't given Wilson much of a chance.

I did get a hold of a custom A2000 1786, and have to say that I love the glove. I even ordered a custom 1st base mitt of my own, that is SWEET (at least on the builder - ordered a couple weeks ago). I will post pictures when I get the mitt.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:37 pm 
Gold Glover

I ordered a black 1786. Sold the saddle tan one to Gabby, I like the black better than the saddle tan. I also ordered a orange tan 1788, and the next one I do will be superskin and camel.