WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Spalding Fast S Series
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:28 pm 

Anyone seen the Spalding Fast S Series fielding gloves?

If so, what are they comperable to in the Rawling or Wilson lines?

Noticed them on Amazon and thought it was a bit strange that some are priced at around $130 and some are around $45.

Post subject: Re: Spalding Fast S Series
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:09 am 

This glove is 37.50 on Amazon(free shipping) and would be a nice glove for Softball or little leaguer or someome on a limited budget. Please don't pay $130. Glove is mid-level and should have been priced under $100 orginally.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:34 am 

Have you seen this series in person? I’m wondering if the finger linings are leather or fabric/synthetic.

From the Amazon description – the bindings and palm are leather, but I get the impression that the finger linings might be fabric/synthetic. Also, the fingers look a bit thin in the photos (thin leather and thin felt?), but that might just be an artifact of the photo.

So I’m thinking that these gloves might be somewhere in the quality range of Rawlings Sandlot or Wilson A800, so possibly a decent deal at around $40. Thinking they might be a good glove to have around for folks to borrow when they come over and get in a game of catch.

This series is not listed in the 2009 thru 2011 Spalding catalog and I’ve only seen them at Amazon, so they’re kind of a mystery.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:15 pm 

Just saw online- I really only like the older pro Spaldings. Any glove that is not all leather is a no no to me, but I suggest seeing a new glove in person before purchasing. From my experience, most of the gloves that are not top or near top of the line would never break in perfectly to be a trusted glove and have faults justifying their lower price. A great glove is worth the price since it will last. For $40 you can find numerous used gloves that are a much better deal than this Spalding. Try Play It Again Sports , flea markets , garage sales,Craigslist and E-Bay. A member of this forumn may have a glove you want for the right price. Keep me up to date on any gloves you find. Glad to help

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:50 pm 

I was just thinking of this series as a "beater" that I could let folks borrow when they come over and want to join in some catch. Trying to keep foreign hands out of my HOH and PP models. :)

My expectations are not high for these gloves - just something for occasional, casual use. They might be decent enough for $40 and better than other new options at that price.

I noticed that Amazon described them as an "Amazon.com exclusive", which seems a little strange for a baseball glove. Maybe they are a series that Spalding decided not to roll-out fully and Amazon bought them all, or something like that.

You're right that I might be able to find a higher quality used glove for the same money.

I have scoured my local Play It Again Sports stores and have not found anything decent and cheap (did find a brand new Pro Preferred for $130).

I still may just get one of those Spalding's just to fulfill my curiosity and just return it if it's total crap.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:13 am 

The Pro Perferred is a great glove. My son played semi-pro ball and used a looked never played Rawling Pro Perferred that Play It Again Sports had priced for $25. I told the guy at the register that it was way underpriced ,but he still gave it to me for $25. Right now is the time they get in a lot of gloves.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:13 am 

I contacted Spalding and they indicated that the Fast S Series is an exclusive test program with Amazon and that this series is a step below the Pro Select Series.

They also indicated that the Fast S Series does have leather finger stalls, palm lining, and bindings - so seems like a really good value when Amazon had them for $35-40. However, the prices are now $100-140, so I'll wait to see if they go back down again.

In the meantime, I made an impulse buy on a Brett Bros Pro Master 11.5" mod trap for $50 from baseballsavings.com (should arrive on Tues). I've read good things about the higher end Brett Bros gloves, so figured what the heck. This glove will be a "loaner" when folks are over and we get into a game of catch, so I didn't want to spend too much but still wanted a decent, all-leather glove.