WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Fastpitch vs Slowpitch
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:28 pm 
Site Administrator

Which do you all prefer? I never had patience for Slowpitch.....just too long to watch the ball while at the plate.

http://www.glove-works.com
Your source for Professional Baseball Glove/Mitt relacing, restoration
and Glove sales.

"Home of "the Works"
"It's a whole nutha level"

Post subject: Re: Fastpitch vs Slowpitch
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:29 pm 

I play slow pitch. We do not have a lot of fast pitch here in MN. The USSSA pitches these days are almost medium (speed) pitch.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:19 pm 
Site Administrator

Medium...or is that considered modified fast pitch?

I am not actually considering playing softball yet, but if I have arm problems again this season with mens league baseball...I might just have to give it a whirl.

http://www.glove-works.com
Your source for Professional Baseball Glove/Mitt relacing, restoration
and Glove sales.

"Home of "the Works"
"It's a whole nutha level"

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:56 pm 

wake wrote:
Which do you all prefer? I never had patience for Slowpitch.....just too log to watch the ball while at the plate.

I have played both, and still play slow pitch. Fast pitch is like baseball, a good pitcher can dominate the game, the hitting is very difficult if you are transitioning from baseball because the pitcher is much closer, the ball is coming up and moves a lot more.

Slow pitch has a lot more fielding action because almost every batter puts the ball in play, it can be tough on me as a 50 year old catcher because I back up every play at first base unless someone is on 2nd or 3rd. Most of the slow pitch fields I have played on have either a 65 or 70 foot base path so it's tough to get fast runners out on ground balls to the left side. The league I play in now provides the bats and we use 44cor balls, the fence is 325 in the corners, 335 in the gaps and 350 in center field, home runs are rare. Making the transition from fast pitch to slow pitch was very difficult as a hitter, waiting for the ball is painful at best because you see it for so long it looks like a beach ball coming at you.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:57 pm 

Buster wrote:
wake wrote:
Which do you all prefer? I never had patience for Slowpitch.....just too log to watch the ball while at the plate.

..., waiting for the ball is painful at best because you see it for so long it looks like a beach ball coming at you.

And yet sometimes ... :D

I play slow pitch and occasionally pitch. One day, about 6:30 pm in the middle of May, there were a few minutes when the sun was incredibly brutal. It was all but impossible for a right handed batter to see the ball until right on top of him. The sun was simply in a weird place relative to the field, batters box, etc.

In a three inning stretch I struck out seven batters. The first guy who K'd - who'd homered in the first - was given a lot of grief by his teammats, including the guy in the on deck circle. Then that guy K'd, too. The next inning I struck out the side and they were slinging bats and gripping, etc. Of course, four of our guys K'd as well - including me if I remembr right.

Then the next inning, everything was back to normal again.

I can't remember exactly what this story had to do with gloves.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:39 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI1vfSLHwwM

Here is what I mean by medium speed. The height limit is 6 FT to 10FT. This is not the old school super high arc softball.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:28 pm 

I saw a pitcher get his face destroyed in a slow pitch game. Hit straight in the face with a line drive. My dad and brother played on a team for a couple seasons now. In the local league here they actually have to limit the HRs you can hit in a game. Usually 4-5. It gets out of hand. Before they made that rule, there were games where one team would hit 10-15 home runs with just 2-3 guys. One of the guys on my dads team could hit a softball ~450 feet everytime. It was outrageous. The had a modified shift against him where the third and first basemen would go in the outfield and there would be 6 outfielders. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:25 pm 

RNich34 wrote:
I saw a pitcher get his face destroyed in a slow pitch game. Hit straight in the face with a line drive. My dad and brother played on a team for a couple seasons now. In the local league here they actually have to limit the HRs you can hit in a game. Usually 4-5. It gets out of hand. Before they made that rule, there were games where one team would hit 10-15 home runs with just 2-3 guys. One of the guys on my dads team could hit a softball ~450 feet everytime. It was outrageous. The had a modified shift against him where the third and first basemen would go in the outfield and there would be 6 outfielders. :lol:

Our league was the same way until they went to .44 COR balls and either wood or single wall aluminum bats supplied by the league. Now homeruns are rare.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:48 am 

I've played fastpitch about ten years, first in the early 90's, then exclusively for the past five years (with plenty of slow pitch and MSBL baseball thrown in between). I love them all, but fastpitch has proven to be the most challenging.

With fastpitch dying out in most places, we are fortunate to have this league in my city. The complex where we play has four fields and that kind of limits us to eight teams. We have actually had to turn down a new team or two because it simply would not fit our facility or schedule.

The league itself has a unique history. It was first started by the city's parks and rec department as a recreational activity for returning WWII vets in 1946. They have kept it going all these years and the league is celebrating it's 65th year this season.

There are a couple of teams in the league that field travel teams, competing in weekend tournaments all over the midwest (they do mix some of the travel players among various league teams, to balance the playing field a bit). The guy that coaches my team is one of the travel coaches and he holds an annual men's fastpitch tournament in central Ohio. This year there were teams from four states competing.