WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Roy Oswalt getting hit
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:52 pm 

The media made a big deal about Roy Oswalt getting hit this week. Now, I'm sure he probably would have stayed in the game given the choice. Maybe they would have left him in during the season, who knows.

Anyway, this reminded me of an NBC Game of the Week in the early '80s. The Red Sox had a big, burly, Latino pitcher. He got absolutely drilled square in the middle of his forehead by a linedrive. He dropped like a ton of bricks, and didn't move for several minutes. I fully expected an ambulance to drive onto the field to pick him up right there. I also thought I may have just seen someone get killed on a baseball field on national tv. But he got up after a few minutes, and a few minutes later, he took a few warmup pitches. About 15 minutes after getting drilled, he resumed pitching - and pitched better than he had before getting hit! I don't think he ever left the mound, let alone the field. If that happened now, the team would put him on the DL for a month.

Post subject: Re: Roy Oswalt getting hit
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:54 pm 

I saw him pitch Tuesday night in Philly. He was fine. Any time somthing like that happens it's news and the media around the Philly starting pitching this spring has been off the charts.

Oswalt's follow through is always going to that as he turns away from the batter after he delivers the ball. He is a little guy and probably has to do that to get the arm speed to get guys out.

Bill