WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Re: Jeter Gold Glove
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:45 am 
El Tiburon

ThugHunter wrote:
Mike_2009 wrote:
just saying I rather see it go to the flashy guy versus the "sure and steady" guy...

I love to see flash too, but who would you rather have playing on your team? I'm sure the voters considered that too.

This is an old thread, but im bored...

Anyone read how the red sox vets, are working with Iglesias on making the routine play? I read yesterday that Adrian Gonzalez told him when he's taking ground balls he can make 2 out of 50 flashy. I find that interesting that the dude that is regarded at the best fielding shortstops in minor league ball needs work on the routine play.

I remember when I was 14 and got moved from second to short my coach told me he wanted three things from his shortstop.
1-Make the routine play
2-Turn the double play
3-Make the play with 2 outs.

It seems simple, but its true. People love to say oh so and so is the best all his errors were on balls that no one else could get to. I wish we could see on how many of those plays the player actually had a chance to get an out. I forget who it was that said if you drop the ball, pick it up and throw it back to the pitcher.Runners on first, double play is in order. If you drop it then rush a throw, the runner is on second or third, in scoring position.

I wish i could have seen the wizard of oz play, and i wish i could have seen Vizquel in his prime. From what i have heard though, you would have to give the edge to vizquel as the better shortstop. A dude playing short with a secondbasemens arm, that wins 13 gold gloves...Damn that is impressive. But then again I have never really seen them play.

As far as Jeter, I have seen alot of him. He makes all the routine plays and turns the double play ect. He dosen't have the best range or arm anymore, but he is very steady.

Would the Yankee's have won more games if they had Andrus at short then Jeter? I doubt it.

For the older guys on here, Ripken made very few errors, but did his range at short hurt the orioles?

And one question for infielders. Do you guys think the size of the glove matters much? I dont... Infielders are supposed to field the ground ball in their palm and then transfer to their throwing hand without closing the glove. So it shouldnt matter if the glove is 11 inches or 12. Guys like Tejada and Furcal use huge gloves at shortstop. I mean yea it might be harder to make a transfer on a ball you have to lunge for, but if your used to the glove it really isn't an issue. I like smaller gloves because i have small hands but i dont think size is an issue.(nope not trying to be funny). What do you guys think?

Sorry for the long post, trying to sober up a bit ya know lol

Y cuando tu la tocas, ella se vuelve loca

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:30 pm 

ddemars3 wrote:
And one question for infielders. Do you guys think the size of the glove matters much? I dont... Infielders are supposed to field the ground ball in their palm and then transfer to their throwing hand without closing the glove. So it shouldnt matter if the glove is 11 inches or 12. Guys like Tejada and Furcal use huge gloves at shortstop. I mean yea it might be harder to make a transfer on a ball you have to lunge for, but if your used to the glove it really isn't an issue. I like smaller gloves because i have small hands but i dont think size is an issue.(nope not trying to be funny). What do you guys think?

All else equal, the bigger glove will stop more balls than a smaller glove. Either on this board or on the old board, someone speculated that today's fielders would be even better if they used larger gloves. But the transfer needs to be quick and can be the difference maker. I'm not sure what it is that makes some players able to maintain transfer speed with larger gloves. Cal Ripken was one of those guys.

I'm slow afoot myself and prefer a larger glove with a deep pocket. I work on transfer regularly by rolling a ball against a wall, fielding it and transferring it. I've never had a problem with transfer time. The ball almost always ends up in the same place in the glove (because that's the way I broke in the glove), and I never have a hard time finding the ball in the glove.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:53 pm 

I personally like the feel of a 11.25 glove the best, but for the most part will play with a 11.5... You have to get to/catch the ball before you can proceed to transfer it, but I've never had any consistent issues with transferring the ball.. I've always enjoyed a well broken in/softer type of glove in all honesty.. Hell, I played 2nd base a couple seasons ago with a 12.00 DW5 A2K because it was so soft and broken in that my fingers pretty much slid all the way to the tips of the glove (at least it felt that way)... Didn't care about the size of the glove at all because it felt great on my hand and I could field using it just as well as I could with a smaller glove...

I will make this declaration, I pretty much hate Rawlings... :evil: Yea, I know, that's like sacrilegious amongst many who tout old school horween as holy leather, but there's really only been one Rawlings glove that I can say I felt completely comfortable using in the infield and that was a well broken in PRO200HC which was some oil injected leather that Rawlings made years ago... I had a 2001 (I believe) PRO200HC and that glove was phenomenal--kinda floppy, loose web etc...... All of these newer gloves/mesh gloves etc... don't do it for me out there...