WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Picked up two Precision Series this week.
Unread postPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:01 pm 

I bought a used ADD 103 (11.5", I web, mesh back) from the marketplace here, and a new AKS2 from another member who has a contract with Akadema.

The mesh back came first. I bought it for a 10 y/o kid on my team who needed a new glove. The previous owner pretty much had it broken in and had relaced it with black Tanners. I was not overly thrilled with it. It has a bit of a cheap feel to it, with overly thin leather and too little weight. He broke it in, and the design of the glove probably encourages this, to close very shallow...too shallow I believe for a youth player. There was some room left to work the hinge a bit though, and I have it closing thumb to ring finger though it needs to continue being trained. I still think it's a nice glove, but I can't imagine spending anywhere near $200 on it. My best description of what's wrong, aside from the feather light weight, is that it feels like, as you close it on a ball, you're only closing the pocket while the fingers stay loose and feel like they could open. It feels like it needs more support, from the point where your fingers actually reach to in the stalls, up into the fingers of the glove. Reshaping it to close with a deeper pocket seems to be helping in this regard.

The AKS2 is still stiff as a board, so it's hard to say for sure, but I don't see having any such complaints about it. The leather feels quite a bit thicker and I'm confident the fingers will stay firmer. The palm lining is more comfortable and richer feeling, if that means anything. I don't know how it will hold up to use but this just feels like a way higher quality, more substantial, more durable glove. It's hard to believe it's made of the same leather as the ADD103. I'm quite happy with the purchase.

Like others have posted, the new AKS2 has a narrow wrist opening and nice, tight stalls. I have small hands and love it for that. It also seems to be on the large side for an 11.5". I'm holding it right now, while picturing a black, I web Pro Preferred that I frequently fondle in a store, and this glove would appear more like a 12" to that 11.5". It looks wider than my son's 12" SSK custom though it's not quite as long.