WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM BASEBALL GLOVE COLLECTOR FORUM

GLOVE-WORKS.COM Baseball Glove Collector Forum/discussion board

WWW.GLOVE-WORKS.COM "It's a Whole Nutha Level" tm. Glove-Works 2012

Post subject: Not bad for $42
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:05 pm 

feel weird making the first thread, but wanted to share my new glove.

Akadema had a 35% off coupon for Cyber-Monday recently. After checking out their site for gloves that evening, almost all of the precision clearance gloves were already sold out. I decided to look for other stuff under the "monthly specials" section and ran across a precision series 12" glove. Originally $185, now down to $65. After the coupon code, I picked up the ATY-132 Kip Leather glove for just under $43!!!

Just got the glove in yesterday, and I am thoroughly impressed. Prior to this, the only Akadema line I had held in my hands was the ProSoft line, which isn't even worth mentionoing IMO.

This glove is SUPER STIFF. Stiffer that a new HOH, and maybe a tad less than a Vinci. I think it may take me a few months to break it in the way I like.

The leather is of high quality. It is free of any visible flaws as far as I can tell, and it feels durable, but not as 'thick' as a HOH, but I attribute that to it being kip perhaps?

I don't have much more to review at this point, as I just got it. I will say though, the one negative I have thus far is the size of the opening at the wrist. I don't necessarily have large hands, but even I had a very hard time getting this on. The only smaller/tighter glove I have ever felt was a Kelley ProLine. I am sure this will open up with time, although I have my doubts as to if I will ever be able to wear a batting glove with it.

here's some pics to see.

Post subject: Re: Not bad for $42
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:12 pm 

Not bad at all! Reminds me of a 200-9JB. Nice pick up

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:18 pm 

glovefeen95 wrote:
Not bad at all! Reminds me of a 200-9JB. Nice pick up

I thought the same thing. I love the look of the two-piece web on the 200-9jb. Don't see it that often. As a matter of fact, i have been looking for a steal on one of those for quite some time. If it were a HOH, I would have bought the whole inventory at that price :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:33 pm 

That one isnt kip.

** Please recycle threads by using search via google before posting.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:51 pm 

Hrking4675 wrote:
That one isnt kip.

12" pattern, double web, open back, deep pocket The latest glove series by Akadema uses Precision Kip leather that is 20% lighter and tighter grained than steerhide . The Hides are harvested in Europe and tanned in Japan. The gloves are more pliable, easier to break in and have more tensile strength than our competitors glove lines.

taken from the Akadema website.

https://www.akademapro.com/store/aty132.html

maybe I'm missing something Hrking4675? Would love to hear any information on Precision series from Akadema from you, or anybody else with info. IMO, it doesn't feel like a Pro Preferred, but it definitely feels different from a HOH, and not in a negative way

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:29 pm 
Silver Slugger

Hrking4675 wrote:
That one isnt kip.

I think you are right, it looks like it says steerhide in the palm.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:30 pm 
Gold Glover

port14 wrote:
Hrking4675 wrote:
That one isnt kip.

I think you are right, it looks like it says steerhide in the palm.

Kip is 1-2 year old steerhide isn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Great looking glove at a great price.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:32 pm 

I have a couple Precision kips and both have that steer logo...could see how that would lead to confusion

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:43 pm 

Nevemind, my bad. Driver update messed up my colors- silver looked yellowish / not precision.

Yeah, that one is the Akadema kip. It doesnt feel like a PP because its tanned differently. I just had an Akadema Precision and it just was not for me. The leather is too slick and the pattern didnt feel right.

I never bothered reading the Akadema pitch, but a claim on 20% lighter.... That's pretty bold and I would likely say untrue.

Sweet deal for $42 though!

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:51 pm 

Hrking4675 wrote:
Nevemind, my bad. Driver update messed up my colors- silver looked yellowish / not precision.

Yeah, that one is the Akadema kip. It doesnt feel like a PP because its tanned differently. I just had an Akadema Precision and it just was not for me. The leather is too slick and the pattern didnt feel right.

I never bothered reading the Akadema pitch, but a claim on 20% lighter.... That's pretty bold and I would likely say untrue.

Sweet deal for $42 though!

hard to say about the 20%. although if they're comparing kip to standard steerhide, it's probably not much of a stretch. just the leather would be 20% lighter, with the padding and pinky/thumb stalls etc all being equal, it would make the total glove weight only about an ounce or so lighter than a comparable size/model in steerhide. The same as a pp over a hoh i would guess. Now if the claim is 20% lighter than other kip gloves, I'm with you and have my doubts

as far as not being for you, i totally get it. Gloves are a personal preference. I just wanted to share my find, but in no way am I proclaiming the glove to be the best thing out there. Hell, I have no desire to even make this my gamer over my other glove(s). Just cool to get my hands on one.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:13 am 

I've had the exact same model in my collection for some time now.

The Precision Series is definitely Kip. Mine weighs in at 20.6oz, making it one of the lightest gloves I own. It would be more appropriate to compare them to a Pro Preferred & not an HOH. IMHO, they compare very favorably & I actually like them over the Rawlings.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:27 pm 

I wonder if Akadema has something up their sleeve since they were blowing these out for so cheap.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:52 pm 
Silver Slugger

Hrking4675 wrote:
I wonder if Akadema has something up their sleeve since they were blowing these out for so cheap.

They just released the Torino series, maybe that has something to do with it.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:29 pm 

Bought a slightly used version of this same model a few years back for my son to Pitch and play OF with, according to seller it was a custom - model # AMO102 in blonde with wrist label removed. Very nice glove, soft without being floppy. His gamer AML1 has been recently retired - unfortunately while the shell is very sturdy and still perfectly useable, the finger stall linings have totally dis-intergrated (middle and ring). Did notice that when he got the glove originally that lining was on thin side. Seems sturdier on my AJF35 and his AMO102, but was definitely not as thick on AML1 which is weird, because like I said it is built very well. Just wondering if anyone had same experience.